Soccer or Football?

Anything relating to the Austadiums website such as feedback, ideas & site updates.

What should Austadiums refer to the World Game as?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:56 pm

Soccer
57%
Football
43%

Total votes: 21

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

stadiumking wrote:LES MURRAY: SBS head of sport, Australian soccer's "Mr Football" "It's the original football. Before the other sports came along, this was the only sport that was known as football. It's known as that around the world. It's also played with the feet, not the hands — hands are taboo. With globalisation, we have to be part of the world, and that's now why more and more people are calling it football in Australia. To continue to call it soccer here is defeatism for the game, it's acceptance of a permanent second-class sporting citizenship. Anyway, they are not codes, they are different sports."
I respect the right of soccer to call itself whatever, but it is views like the above that really overstate the importance of it all. Defeatism? Second class? Globalisation forcing this change? Get your hand off it Les.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Yeah Les is an absolute tosser, I can't stand the guy. One of those people who think every other sport in the world is the devil.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Les has been on the receiving end of the 'Sheilas, wogs and poofters' barbs for decades. It shouldn't be surprising that he's emotive about a minor issue like this.

Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

If The Age goes from soccer to football, then the name of their 'Real Footy' site will appear very ostentatious. :?

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

LES MURRAY: SBS head of sport, Australian soccer's "Mr Football" "It's the original football. Before the other sports came along, this was the only sport that was known as football. It's known as that around the world. It's also played with the feet, not the hands — hands are taboo. With globalisation, we have to be part of the world, and that's now why more and more people are calling it football in Australia. To continue to call it soccer here is defeatism for the game, it's acceptance of a permanent second-class sporting citizenship. Anyway, they are not codes, they are different sports."
Flying in the face of evolution....we have hands for a reason.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

IanRitchie wrote:Flying in the face of evolution....
Or intelligent design?

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Jeffles wrote:
IanRitchie wrote:Flying in the face of evolution....
Or intelligent design?
Which makes the idea of the game worse! It goes against what god intended!

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

LES MURRAY wrote:: SBS head of sport, Australian soccer's "Mr Football" "It's the original football. Before the other sports came along, this was the only sport that was known as football..."
Well, as any regular reader of this forum and thread will know, what Mr Murray, the SBS head of sport, said here is simply totally untrue. I don't know if its due to his dishonesty (not for the first time) or simple pig ignorance, but either way (amongst other reasons) he's unfit to be a 'head of sport' for any media organisation - or even an employee.
LES MURRAY wrote:: It's also played with the feet, not the hands — hands are taboo..."
Umm - Are we talking about the same game as I played for several years, travelling hundreds of k's around Western Victoria - as the team goalkeeper, using my HANDS to (sometimes) stop HEADERS??
Yet another inexcusable idiotic statement.
LES MURRAY wrote:: Anyway, they are not codes, they are different sports."
:roll:
Jeffles and Cam got it right - Les Murray is a total disgrace. He really makes it difficult for me to follow a sport (and a CODE) that I once really loved. He's a lying f...wit! SBS - Please get rid of him!

Dasher39
Silver

Post by Dasher39 »

cam wrote:Yeah Les is an absolute tosser, I can't stand the guy. One of those people who think every other sport in the world is the devil.
He must be on the Victory forum. They are always having a go at other people for supporting other sports. The other day people were ridiculed for going to the cricket and supporting the sport.

They believe Football is the only sport in the world and if you follow any other sport then you're not a "true fan".

People like that are a bunch of wankers!

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Dasher39 wrote:
cam wrote:Yeah Les is an absolute tosser, I can't stand the guy. One of those people who think every other sport in the world is the devil.
He must be on the Victory forum. They are always having a go at other people for supporting other sports. The other day people were ridiculed for going to the cricket and supporting the sport.

They believe Football is the only sport in the world and if you follow any other sport then you're not a "true fan".

People like that are a bunch of wankers!
That's why soccerhut.net needs to be abolished 8)

Anyways, I have learnt to live with it...its even worse when they say you are not a true fan because you don't call it football...but hey why should we give a stuff what these people think?

I know I don't...

Gloryboys.net like AFL to some degree...

Gloryshed.com nearly started a civil war at a Dockers 'Purple Haze' Game :lol:

Ian
Bronze

Post by Ian »

The same topic has been discussed in the "Soccer" forum at safooty.net, I for one think it should remain to be called soccer in Aust.
Football IS Aussie Rules (or League if you live Nth of Mexico :wink: )

http://sanflfooty.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=499

Ian
Bronze

Post by Ian »

sandyhill wrote:
LES MURRAY wrote:: It's also played with the feet, not the hands — hands are taboo..."
Umm - Are we talking about the same game as I played for several years, travelling hundreds of k's around Western Victoria - as the team goalkeeper, using my HANDS to (sometimes) stop HEADERS??
.....and chests, .........and knees,............, and legs.........and....

maybe we could call it handheadchestlegkneefootball :roll:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Well Weagles culture has infiltrated the Glory...thus football it shall be called.

Get this, those who don't sing have more power within the glory then those who did...

Screwed us over because were diehards...

I bloody hate the way my club is going down the gurgler...Get a grip and quick!!!

Before you turn into the laughing stock of the world.

Have a look at this, made my responce towards the end of the article...

http://www.gloryboys.net/index.php?opti ... pic&t=2456

At this point in time, I am feeling as angry as hell being a Glory supporter :x

Tancred
Bronze

Post by Tancred »

Interesting thread Egan. GloryBhoy is right, the curva is for the fans, and dare I say it, for the ultras. The sooner club officials, families, and the "fanatics" /spit learn this, the better.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Dilemma has been resolved... 8)

Was at the creche singing and chanting...with the 5033 people there...

Found a scotsman who had only been in Perth for 5 days at the train station and he wanted to go to the game, asked for directions, thus he came and joined us.

He used to travel from Edinburgh to Manchester just to watch Man City games...3 and a half hours on train...

Hates Dwight Yorke... 8)

Was about the highlight of the night...5033 down from 43,242 in 2000...doesn't things change awfully quickly...