A-LEAGUE launch: "New Football"

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

At least they won't confuse that with the stylish avatar to my left.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Why can't they realise that we don't need these fancy crap designs...we just want simple effective designs.

Im majorly pissed off with hearing that Glory are updating their perfectly awesome logo...especially since I just bought a brand new Glory hat this year :x

Although it is a collectors item...with Glory squad signing my hate at the GF Parade :wink:

JF_Bay22_SCG
Bronze

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

Jeffles wrote:At least they won't confuse that with the stylish avatar to my left.
Nearly bought one of those caps at the Newtown festival today.

But $25 for a mesh cap, you have to be joking right.

Bloody cheapskate leaguies. :roll:

JF

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Sold quite a few of them today.

If you were there from 3.45 and saw a young bloke in the "Newtown 81" shirt (that Dicko wore on Aust idol a few weeks back), that was me!!!

I've seen trucker caps push $40 so $25 isn't that bad.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

We may not like the logo, but those in Newcastle certainly do.

It seems they have appeased the local market :wink:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/newcastlefoo ... .php?t=869

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

Why does it have to be Newcastle United Jets? Its so stupid. Make it Newcastle United or Newcastle Jets. Not both. It reeks of trying too hard. I think they took a look at their namesake in England and noticed that they are also known as the Magpies, but that is unofficial. Call yourselves Newcastle United officially and the Jets unofficially, even use those jets on the logo. Just go one way or the other.
The Queensland Lions are going to run a comp in the media for fans to propose names. They are being pressured by O'Neill and the ASA to at least be called Brisbane, which is a good idea although Oudendyk and Ribot are reluctant. What looks best next to a Bronco, a Lion and a Koala (Reds)? There are already one too many Uniteds. Girly, intangible, proud sounding names like Glory and Victory are already taken. I'm stumped. Also, Suncorp is a far better venue than Ballymore. Ballymore is tucked into suburban Herston and as such is a bitch to get to via private or public transport. Suncorp is far handier to the CBD which promotes so many other options for fans. Not that Ballymore is necessarily a modest ground. Modest is the pitiful Perry Park where the Strikers played of late. Last time I was in Brisbane I drove past and I had a good look at the worst sports venue possible. It was terrible.
I think a comp that promotes inter-city rivalries is a great idea. If people can't pull themselves away from the western suburbs of Sydney to go to games at Aussie Stadium then they don't desserve a team of their own. Further, Aussie is a great venue that gets used sparingly as it is and I agree with the argument that it is the only suitable venue for Sydney FC. You never know, maybe the ASA is deciding to play it safe and take a wait-and-see approach. If Sydney FC get good attendances they may rethink having a second team for the western suburbs but only if they have a suitable venue which really doesn't exist and if anyone suggests Telstra or even worse the showground, I think I'm gonna throw up.
As for Melbourne, whatever you do don't play at the dome. Spectators will hate it and wont turn up after a while. A brand new Olympic Park is just the ticket and before anyone complains that Swan Street is in the way, they can just sink the road and build the northern end of the stadium over it. Or if its cheaper just tear down Punt Road Oval and build it there.
Meanwhile, finally Express Advocate Stadium is going to have a regular gig. One of the best sports venues in the country needed this badly and there you have your precious local derby: Central Coast Mariners vs Newcastle United.
P.S. If they award a franchise to Townsville down the track, trust me, people will flock to Dairy Farmers to see the games. They'll just have to always be played at night. It gets just a little bit boiling hot here from December to February, smack in the second half of the A-League season.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Argee, the thing I love about your posts is that I agree with everything you say...Im glad your back mate :wink:

A great post and I would think a Western Suburbs based team would be played at Parramatta...The Sydney Soccer population have a love affair with that ground

Although rumours pesist that the Glory will change its image and logo and colours...lets hope that it remains just speculation.

Townsville would only be included with another team...AFA if they realise what the byes does to NRL, NBL and AFL will be sensible in not having byes and introducing two new teams at once...like the NSL did a few seasons ago when they introduced Parramatta Power and the Football kingz together.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

The thing that gives me the izzards is that Reebok has been awarded as the A-League technical/kit sponsor therefore making all clubs having to wear Reebok strips rather than being free to get whom they please. Can anyone think of any other sporting competition or league in the world where clubs have to wear a certain make as designated by the controlling body?
This reminds me of Super League and Nike. If they have it so all shirts have the same template I'll be jacked off. Somehow with the publicity of Victory's proposed shirt design being similar to Girondins Bordeaux I have my doubts which is a good thing at least.

Also I find it strange the media and people in general forget the NSL was actually called the Ericsson Cup A-League in the early-mid 90's. The way things have been reported and spoken about it's as if the whole branding is a new concept.

guy41
Bronze

Post by guy41 »

ING cup they all wear the sane uniforms

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Thats what I thought until Victory showed off their kit with the brand name ADDIDAS on their clothing...This is sure to create a big issue soon.

I dunno whats happening, but agree we need seperate clothing sponsors, I quite like the Victory's uniform.

peterss
Bronze

Post by peterss »

That is the first official A-League uniform i have seen so far and i am quite impressed by it... IT LOOKS GREAT :D

I am also hoping that Glory do not change their logo and shirt colours

JF_Bay22_SCG
Bronze

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

Egan wrote:
If fans say it is too far to travel, you can't use the excuse "if you were a real fan you wouldn't mind the travel" which Egan has dished out.
Those in the western suburbs are unlikely to support a team...Parramatta Stadium was the basis of a non-ethnically based team and it failed...despite marketing heavily in the first years. Many in the western suburbs will not support the A league...it's time to get a new market and Aussie Stadium is that market.
People out west will come into the city to watch top level sport. People from the inner city ae very very reticent at heading out west to do anything. I know Swans fans who will go to Melbourne twice a year but who refuse to go to Telstra Stadium.

also Parramatta has the worst Nazi security guards imaginable. All us Bob Standers were thrown out during one match for having the temerity to sing "Who the f***ing hell are you?" at Mr Fister the Parramatta Mascot cum sexual aid.

JF

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

No that's not the official design of the Victory shirt design. It's just an idea. But it will be very similar. Also apparantly the ASA have told Victory the logo is too busy, and they need to design a new one.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Egan wrote:Thats what I thought until Victory showed off their kit with the brand name ADDIDAS on their clothing...This is sure to create a big issue soon.

I dunno whats happening, but agree we need seperate clothing sponsors, I quite like the Victory's uniform.

That adidas you see there is a direct rip off from Bordeaux's shirt who have adidas as their kit sponsor. There is no doubt that the Age would have directly lifted off that image from this website (i cannot remember the url) which has mini images of playing strips like that seen from clubs all over the world. The paper would have just then probably got someone to digitally re-image it by removing the Siemens Mobile off the front.