A-LEAGUE launch: "New Football"

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Egan wrote:Those in the western suburbs are unlikely to support a team...Parramatta Stadium was the basis of a non-ethnically based team and it failed...despite marketing heavily in the first years. Many in the western suburbs will not support the A league...it's time to get a new market and Aussie Stadium is that market.

All 'true' fans don't care were it is held...its simply just an excuse for a poor crowd attendance
Hiraldo is right as to the failings of Parramatta. Also, Northern Spirit were based 5km from Aussie Stadium and died on their arse. If you are going to blame geography, you would rule out the city too. Quite obviously, it was not a factor.

Also, in light of the ASA's decision to have one Sydney team, we must look at the city of Sydney as ONE market. You cannot divide it in to two for your convenience. I think there is genuinely two markets and that there should be two teams. But given that the ASA has ruled there is one, we must accomodate that large market as best as we can. You can't just say "if it's going to be one Sydney team, lets narrow it down and isolate most of the population" which is what your thinking is doing intentionally or not.

The people in the Western Suburbs will support the A-League. They are where the bulk of soccer fans are.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I'll respond to those statements after TEE...involving myself in a Sydney Soccer debate is to psychologically draining, it involves to much uneccesary thinking so it will have to be postponed for a few weeks :wink:

But we have signed our first player :D

Stuart Young, a damaging ex Woolongong Wolves midfielder/striker, he was always a threat and danger when coming to Perth.

While Channel 10 have reportedly stated that Gumprecht will be coming back to Perth...although the club will not have a marquee player.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Back to the topic, Soccer will officially be known as Football in Australia. The Australian Soccer Association will be changing their name to The Football Association of Australia, aka Football Australia. It's believed this will take place early in the new year. There are only a small number of countries which refer to the sport as Soccer, such as the USA, New Zealand and a few others. Will be interesting. I wonder how the AFL and NRL will react?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Doesn't bother me...a name means nothing it's their administration of soccer affairs that Im more worried about.

I doubt if AFL and NRL would care they know that the word football is used for many many codes around the world...Im used to calling the game soccer because of being brought up calling AFL football...it makes no difference to how passionate you are as a fan though.

Bring on the A-League :D

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

I heard elsewhere that it was the Football Federation of Australia or Football Australia for short.

I hope it's Football Association of Australia.

Australian Football Association (AFA) is less of a mouthful, but the Argies already have that one.

Perhaps this is what O'Neill meant by "new football".

The other codes have no grounds to challenge this...

Australian football
Rugby football
Association football

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Soccer or Football?

It doesn't matter what the assocation call themselves I think peopple will keep calling it soccer here, just because that is what's been done.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Yeah I agree. As someone from Melbourne, I'll always refer to it as Soccer and AFL as Footy. And I'm sure you (Jeffles) will always refer to RL as Footy, Soccer as Soccer, and AFL as Aussie Rules. Otherwise it's too bloody confusing in a country where Soccer isn't our traditional and/or main sport and there are 3 other codes referred to as 'Footy' which are currently much bigger than the game of Soccer.

I'm not against the name-change, it's just annoying looking at what people are saying on the soccer forums, eg www.soccerhut.net. Most of the people chatting on there like Soccer only, it's as if RL, RU & AFL are their opposition. I think they all need to get a life just quitely!! :wink:

abletts_other_son
Bronze

Post by abletts_other_son »

couldnt melbourne have come up with a better name than victory, it sounds so lame

ps: how many of the games been show on tv?

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Coming up with a good name isn't easy. I wasn't that keen on it at first, but it has grown on me a bit.

Fox Sports will show a minimum of 2 live games each week. I've heard they may cover all games live or show the other 2 delayed. They will also have a weekly highlights/discussion show.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

It makes me appreciate this forum all the better...its good if your looking to have a debate against a non-reboundable brick wall...its very nice.
:wink:

Mate close this forum down if we ever get as ignorant and as narrow minded as some of the people on that forum...they have good intentions...but your voice means nothing because...believe it or not YOU SUPPORT more then soccer/football and god forbid you also support AFL/football.

Ahh its off my chest...I won't take my frustrations out against anyone :wink:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

This logo had a shocking reaction from the glory supporters what do you guys think of the Newcastle United Jets logo...I don't find it particularly appealing.

Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

Egan wrote:This logo had a shocking reaction from the glory supporters what do you guys think of the Newcastle United Jets logo...I don't find it particularly appealing.

Worthless logo for a worthless club.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

The Jets bit at the bottom i'm not too sure of, and it looks pretty damn american. But I think it's okay looking. I don't think soccer will get to the point in Australia where logos are replaced with real emblems and insignia, so we'll have to make do with the corporate style image.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

I reckon someone's pulling my leg!

I bet that's a supporter's attempt at the logo... it is shocking.

:roll:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

James, entirely true.

"Their very proud of it " :wink:

http://www.tribalfootball.com/november/ ... 31104.html