Vale Phillip Hughes

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Orel Puppington
Bronze
Location: Waiting for St. George to play more than one game in Melbourne

Vale Phillip Hughes

Post by Orel Puppington »

I am sure you all know about this tragedy that happened on the SCG 2 days ago, but this has come as a major shock to the sporting community in Australia and the world. Today his life support was turned off and is now dead. On behalf of everybody at Austadiums, we send are deepest condolences to the Hughes family and Sean Abbott and how he feels about bowling that ball which cost Hughes his life. Our thoughts are with both families now and sport in Australia would never be the same again

Phillip Hughes
(1988-2014)
R.I.P

yob
Platinum

Re: Vale Phillip Hughes

Post by yob »

It never sits well in the stomach knowing someone didn't come home like the rest of us. :( RIP

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/c ... 7137086710
Australia team doctor Peter Brukner has revealed Phillip Hughes died from an injury which had only occurred once before in cricket.

After being hit in the neck by a bouncer, Hughes suffered a vertebral artery dissection, a tear to the artery which has similar symptoms to strangulation and strokes.

The 25-year-old died on Thursday afternoon having failed to regain consciousness in St Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney after being struck by the ball when batting for South Australia at the SCG on Tuesday.

“If you look in the literature there is only about 100 cases ever reported so this is incredibly rare with only one previous case ever reported as the result of a cricket ball.” Dr Tony Grabs, the trauma director at St Vincent’s who performed surgery on Hughes upon his arrival, said the hospital had never seen the injury before.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

I wanted to play cricket for Australia long before I wanted to play football for Australia. I wanted to play cricket for Australia before I made it to school. I watched fast bowlers like Geoff Lawson and Craig McDermott and wished I could be them. I watched batsmen like Alan Border and Dean Jones and dreamed. Summer was cricket - the other bits were the bits to endure while there was no cricket to watch.

What I would have given to stride out to the middle in the SCG, wearing white, with my state's or country's badge on my cap...

Phil Hughes got to live my dream, but a simple tragedy robbed him of the chance to live it fully. He would have been in the Test side again by the end of the year. He would have played in the World Cup. Given he was only 25, he might have faded away or he might have become one of the greats.

So much potential. Even his last innings, unbeaten on 63 - for all we know it might have been one for the ages. Cut short.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Desperately sad. Parents should never have to bury their children.

And I feel for Sean Abbott too. Can't imagine what he must be going through right now. Hope he's got plenty of support around him. He'll need it for quite some time.