Western Sydney Wanderers FC

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
jowel
Bronze

Western Sydney Wanderers FC

Post by jowel »

Thought I'd commemorate the anniversary of my 10th year on the Austadiums forum to begin a thread dedicated to the club which saved the A-league, the Western Sydney Wanderers.

Here we are, having qualified for our 2nd Grand Final in our second season, expecting to take 8,000 travelling fans to Suncorp Stadium to watch us take on the Roar. That's after having topped our Asian Champions League Group, on the back of a season where we came 2nd on the table and gathered 16,900 members!

It's a truely magical story, given the club barely existed 2 years ago. Who would have thought that we would have raised the Premiers Plate in our debut season, that our fans would be praised as the best in the A-league? The Heartland of Football in Australia is now finally represented in the national competition after years of waiting.

The A-league was on it's last legs before the Wanderers came along. The FFA had to create a Western Sydney club in just 6 months, and they had to get it right or else it and the entire competition would probably have folded. Thankfully the FFA decided to ask the fans what they wanted - well look how that turned out :)

I look back to our first ever game at Cook Park, St Marys which I attended, where the RBB was a bunch of 50 blokes, where we got 3,500 people to the game. Now look at how far we've come. Onwards and upwards :)

As a Foundation Member of the club, I'm immensely proud of what we've acheived in such a short amount of time.

Go Wanderers!
Last edited by jowel on Thu May 01, 2014 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

yob
Platinum

Re: Western Sydney Wanderers FC

Post by yob »

jowel wrote:Thought I'd commemorate the anniversary of my 10th year on the Austadiums forum to begin a thread dedicated to the club which saved the A-league, the Western Sydney Wanderers.
Saved the A-League, by what, rekindling interest for 4.4/28 million people? Maybe you should spend your 10 year anniversary reading up on how important Sydney is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_tail

jowel
Bronze

Post by jowel »

Yep, we saved the A-league.

Maybe you should read my book:

http://www.westsydneyfootball.com/_/wan ... rs-fc-r297

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

E-books really are a kick in the guts to the pioneers of vanity publishing who had to pay for the paper.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Oh look, a self-congratulatory Wanderers fan. Sport after the break, movie at 11.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

dibo wrote:Oh look, a self-congratulatory Wanderers fan. Sport after the break, movie at 11.
But we have to put these people in to context of Sydney, which is an important city full of important people. That's why the other 23 million people in Australasia have to be bullied by them and told they're unimportant, and their each and every desire must be served for "commercial reasons."

Jowel - happy 10 year anniversary, and stick Sydney up your arse.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Btw put my money down on Wanderers at $3.40 earlier in the week, but drawn grand finals are an Australian past time so not expecting a big pay day.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

jowel wrote:the club which saved the A-league, the Western Sydney Wanderers.
jowel wrote:our fans would be praised as the best in the A-league
jowel wrote:The A-league was on it's last legs before the Wanderers came along.
jowel wrote:they had to get it right or else it and the entire competition would probably have folded
The above quotes are all false

jowel
Bronze

Post by jowel »

Easy up, people. Quit with the bitterness. No need to latch on to just to a few things I said.

There's plenty of great things about my club. I won't be stopping giving it my praise.

And there's many people just like me :)

In other news, Grand Final is almost sold out. This should be epic :)

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Jowel! Welcome back! 10 years!!

Western Sydney have been a great success for the league. I wouldn't say the league was on its last legs, it would have survived. Things ebb and flow. If the Wanderers didn't bring the league back up, something else would have. So many positives, but still some negatives. A small minority of the Wanderers supporters need to get a life. Bring on the Grand Final. Let's hope it's a great game and the ref doesn't have the final say as per the Melbourne Victory two times in one week.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Looks like they're the Collingwood of the A-League.

Shame it's only in relation to losing grand finals.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Such a waste saving all those millions of people when they only needed to save Besart Berisha...

jowel
Bronze

Post by jowel »

Well I'm absolutely gutted. That will take a while to get over.

Still, congrats to brisbane - they deserve to win.

Wanderers played well and the RBB outsung the Brisbane fans at their own ground. Nice

It will be awesome when we win a grand final. These losses are character building for players and fans.

In the end I'm proud of this club and really am just happy I have a club to support at all after all the years Western Sydney wasn't represented in the a-league.

Cheers

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

jowel wrote: Wanderers played well and the RBB outsung the Brisbane fans at their own ground.
Better than winning the game...

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

pretty sure that i didn't hear the RBB at full time.