Cricket 2013

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
yob
Platinum

Re: Cricket 2013

Post by yob »

Rob wrote:There's a women's ashes?
Yeah, Thatcher...

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

yob wrote:
Yeah, Thatcher...
I thought the Lady's not for burning?

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

dibo wrote:
yob wrote:
Yeah, Thatcher...
I'm not sure if they cremated or put her in the ground.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

dibo wrote:
yob wrote:
Yeah, Thatcher...
*likes all round*

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

The SACA have announced that should the Southern Redbacks win the right to host the 2013-14 Sheffield Shield Final, that it would be played at Glenelg Oval rather than the Adelaide Oval. The final, set down for 21-25 March 2014, clashes with a pre-booked Rolling Stones concert on 22 March. This has caused a fair bit of anger here in Adelaide as the South Australian cricket team have been the major tenants at the oval since 1877. The decision made by the SMA (Stadium Management Authority) who manage the newly redeveloped oval to give the concert priority has come under fire. Their reasoning is that in all probability the Rolling Stones concert will make a lot more money than the shield final would. For their part, the SACA have been generally applauded for announcing this early.

State Labour politician Tom Koutsantonis has come also under fire here in Adelaide today for stating that the SA Labour Party view the Adelaide Oval as an economic asset and not a sports stadium. He actually said that in an interview on talk back AM radio station FiveAA this afternoon.

Not a sports stadium? Adelaide Oval not a sports stadium. NOW I've heard everything. Can you imagine the outcry if this happened at the MCG?

Interesting fact though. The Stones concert was booked about 6 months ago. When the dates were set down for the Sheffield Shield final they clashed with the concert, so no matter what Adelaide Oval was never going to host the final. What I don't think anyone counted on was the Redbacks actually playing good cricket for the first time since 1995.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

The 600 people that would otherwise go to the game at Adelaide and would be easily accommodated at Glenelg are ropeable. And rightly so.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

If cricket wants a $500 million stadium to host a Sheffield Shield final then they can pay for it.

Tax payers have the right to use what they paid for. It is not for the exclusive privelege of cricket.

TBH it's sh*t like this that makes me glad I left that myopic sh*t hole.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

"in all probability the Rolling Stones concert will make a lot more money than the shield final would"

I think you can probably ditch the first three words of this sentence.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Has Mick Jagger been contacted about the venue clash?

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

I don't think Mick Jagger could give a toss about the date clash lol. Seriously, however unlikely it would be he could give the SACA or SMA more money in a single donation than they would make from a dozen Shield finals at the Adelaide Oval. And it certainly won't break his bank account.

The only problem I have with the venue change is that the Adelaide Oval is the home of the Redbacks and has been for 137 years. Other than that I can't come up with any other argument as the Stones concert was booked for the oval before the shield final dates were announced. Sure there is the old "look after your tenants" thing, but that single day concert will attract more people and money than a 5 day interstate cricket final.

IIRC, the last time the Shield final was at the Adelaide Oval when SA played WA in 1995, the only time they drew a crowd was for the final session on the final day when it became known that SA might hold on for a draw and thus win the competition so all and sundry who finished work in the city at 5pm headed down to watch SA win the comp. In the four and a half days before that there would have been barely 1,000 people at the ground each day. I think the final session crowd was somewhere around 12,000. Where were these people during the rest of the game?

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

From memory the SMA legislation requires them to make an annual specified allocation to a major maintenance sinking fund and to the Government for distribution in its entirety to other sports. I reckon they might need to make sure they get enough income before anyone stands on their digs about stadium use.