The ACC nukes Australian sport

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Boba Fett
Silver

Re: The ACC nukes Australian sport

Post by Boba Fett »

I see Essendon's strategy of calling into question other parties' process is diverting attention from their problem. Good for Essendon, Hird and everyone else involved in doping of course, but not really good for the sport, is it...

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/f ... 02pgt.html
The lawyer acting for Essendon, Neil Young, QC, says that a finding against his client could "effectively destroy its business".
Not my problem. :hand:

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/a ... 7020780453

James Hird's testimony - amazing that blame is shifted to a couple of guys who no longer work at Essendon, and another who no longer runs the league. Quite convenient they no longer have any say over his pay packet, so there's a bullet dodged. Also it's lucky he got that 15 second sound byte out claiming to take full responsibility, and then withdraws the statement in on of those long tedious boring trials that nobody pays attention to.

This bloke is the ugliest side of sport's arse.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

One perspective on the court case to date:

http://sociallitigator.com/2014/08/12/l ... itigation/
A key discretionary factor apparently relied on by ASADA in support of ‘no relief’ is that Essendon and James Hird invited the very joint investigation about which complaint is now made. In other words, they sought that the investigation occur, but when the results did not help them, they decided to challenge the process. ASADA is effectively arguing that the horse has bolted, and any right to complain has been extinguished.

In ASADA’s favour are a range of very public statements made on behalf of Essendon Football Club, primarily by David Evans (the former Club Chairman) but also by Paul Little (the current Club Chairman), referring to the Club’s decision to invite an investigation by the AFL and ASADA into the Club’s supplements program. These included a letter to Club Members, by which the Club informed them that they had “contacted the AFL and ASADA to conduct an independent investigation”. There was also an 11 April 2013 statement by which Mr Evans advised that “I as Chairman and Essendon Football Club under my leadership will support the AFL and ASADA in their investigation”. On 6 May 2013, Mr Evans repeated these remarks, on the basis that anyone who cares about our sport, our game, and our Club, must let ASADA do its job. On 13 August 2013 Mr Little also made a statement referring to the Club’s decision to “proactively invite” the AFL and ASADA. Then there was Mr Little’s speech at the 2013 Best and Fairest night on 2 October 2013 in which he stated that it had been “unanimously agreed” that the Club had a problem and should “self report”.

There seems no debate that Essendon Football Club made these representations. However, for the point to be made good against both Applicants ASADA must show that James Hird affirmed this position as well.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Another player breaks ranks.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/e ... 0c40d.html

Any day now, Hird's gonesky. Even if you're proved innocent... the players must still want to play for you.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Would the lions take him with a long term suspension more than possible (he's one of the suspected players right?)

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Simmo79 wrote:Would the lions take him with a long term suspension more than possible (he's one of the suspected players right?)
Well, Footscray gave Stewart Crameri a 4 year deal last year. And Port took Angus Monfries. On the surface it's baffling.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Essendon's reply re: Ryder.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-04/r ... -for-storm

Bully his manager. And hell, his family too.

Classy mob...

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Let's count the ways this is an ugly statement from Essendon.
Essendon Football Club has no intention of trading Paddy Ryder,
Not your call. If Essendon has done what they're alleged to have done then they will likely have breached his contract and he will be free to walk. Well sh*t, he has the right at law to give his 2 weeks notice and find a new employer anyway. Essendon has quite the unhealthy mindset that they own him and can prevent him from leaving. There's an abusive relationship problem there, which they double down on with:
"Paddy is contracted until the end of the 2016 season and is a valued and much loved member of our playing group.
Pretty bloody creepy considering all they've done to him and his mates. But wait, they get uglier
"These actions have put unnecessary pressure on Paddy and his family."
c***s. But also stupid c***s. With everything that's happened, if a player wants to walk, just let them go. Don't be so bloody pigheaded as to try and assert the restraint of trade parts of AFL player contracts. They're unlikely to be upheld by a court and the whole trade system will break before the AFL's had the opportunity to work out what their Plan B is. If anyone's dumb enough to piss off the AFL on a completely irrelevant and unnecessary issue it's Essendon.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

"The club and Paddy had already agreed to sit down and discuss any concerns he has post season.
If my employer has exposed me to a "a disturbing picture of a pharmacologically experimental environment never adequately controlled or challenged or documented within the club," whilst I have been starting a family, I'll pursue the matter at a time and venue of my choosing, I will own the f***ing process, and I won't give a f**k if there's a game on that week.
"Current media speculation about his future is premature and ill-informed.
It is extremely disappointing that Paddy's manager Paul Connors has chosen to play these matters out in the press on the eve of the club's finals campaign.
What we've come to expect of Essendon, walking both sides of the street. If the manager has talked to the media then I call that pretty f***ing informed journalism. And look at that, just a subtle hint that if Essendon loses its final this week it's all Paul's fault.
"These actions have put unnecessary pressure on Paddy and his family."
Such a terrible thing, having an advocate. They should just pack it all up and let the nice Essendon people run their lives. Seriously f**k off. I've encountered bullies in my life, and the worst ones were the "caring" ones that itemized everything you value, have a keen interest in your aspirations, and know your wife's name.

Manipulative pieces of sh*t. Absolutely the lowest pieces of sh*t in Australian sport.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

And while I'm in the mood:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/a ... 7043750824
ESSENDON discussed employing a “rogue operators’’ strategy to explain its ill-fated 2012 season supplements regime which resulted in the club being dumped from last year’s finals series and doping accusations against 34 players.
A 141 year old organisation with such a piss weak culture that a 2 man cyclone can tear through the joint in the space of months. At best - bullshit. At worst - a pathetic, piss weak organisation that couldn't develop a culture if Bomber Thompson sat his fat arse on a tub of yoplait and talked.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

EGM at Essendon.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b57bvm8ny6f2 ... 4.pdf?dl=0
Deed of Settlement
To consider and, if thought fit, pass the following as an ordinary resolution:
That the Club institute legal proceedings before a Court of competent jurisdiction to
have the Deed of Settlement executed by the Club and the AFL on or about 27
August 2013 declared void or voidable, and to pursue all remedies and
compensation available to the Club in connection therewith.
Bye bye Essendon.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-pre ... 7063198079

Federal Court decides ASADA/AFL investigation into Essendon was lawful, dismisses applications by Bombers and James Hird
Al Paton with AAP Herald Sun September 18, 2014 2:53PM

BOMBERS players are staring at doping bans after Essendon and James Hird failed in a court bid to throw out the ASADA/AFL investigation into the club.

Justice John Middleton struck down every objection against ASADA and AFL’s joint investigation into the Bombers, saying it was conducted under the paramaters of the law.

The Bombers were also ordered to pay costs.

Essendon and Hird argued in a three-day hearing in August that ASADA had gone beyond its lawful powers in conducting the joint investigation into the supplement program at Essendon.

“I will order the dismissal of the application by Essendon and Mr Hird,” Justice Middleton said.

“The nature and the conduct of the investigation was lawful.”

Justice Middleton said even if he had found the investigation was unlawful he would not have set aside the 34 show-cause notices issued to current and former Essendon players for the alleged use of banned peptide Thymoson beta-4.

He said the interim report provided to the AFL on August 2 last year was also lawful and dismissed objections to ASADA and the AFL sharing information, saying they did not breach ASADA’s confidentiality laws.

He said Hird and the players voluntarily took part in interviews knowing both ASADA and AFL representatives were in the room.

“It can hardly be said Mr Hird and the Essendon players did not consent to the information being disclosed to all in the interview room,” he said.

Justice Middleton said the former Labor federal government had pressured the then-ASADA chief executive Aurora Andruska to bring the investigation to a conclusion.

But he said that pressure did not result in any dereliction of duties by ASADA or Ms Andruska.

“Ms Andruska was under some pressure from the then-federal government and the AFL to bring the investigation to an end as soon as possible, and to assist the AFL so that the AFL could take disciplinary proceedings against Mr Hird and Essendon prior to the 2013 AFL finals,” he said.

“However I do not regard such pressure as giving rise to any dereliction by Ms Andruska in respect of her responsibilities.”

He said he did not need to consider or comment on the the government’s intervention in the investigation for the purpose of his ruling.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/e ... 1100116677

And Hirdy has to pay the legal bills. Lucky he got his pay rise sorted out already...

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Pretty much the most mental arse raping of all time.

You're doing well when the judge goes out of his way to ward off 5 avenues of appeal.

And spent half his time explaining that even if he found in favour of Essendon he wouldn't grant any relief.

It was epic.