AFL 2013

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Boba Fett
Silver

Re: AFL 2013

Post by Boba Fett »

Simmo79 wrote:
Boba Fett wrote: More evidence that the Swans are the best run football club in the country.
God it would be easy to be the best run [X] if your industry's regulations restricted your competitors but allowed you to invest 110% of their investment year after year after year. And then you could boast about what a great culture your company has.
'Their' investment? What happened to the licence fees that were paid to the AFL when the Swans moved to Sydney back in the 80s? Melbourne clubs p***ed it all away didn't they. When that ran out they extorted more money out of the interstate clubs to keep their failing business models afloat. And even now its only the broadcasting deal (that was only possible due to the presence of the interstate teams) that keeps teams like the Kangaroos, Demons, etc from going under.

Like it or not, the Swans have had to get very good at running their business because they operate in the most competitive professional sporting market in the world. If the Swans do well, then the AFL (and by extension the Melbourne teams) do well. Quite frankly half the Melbourne teams don't deserve to keep going due to their lazy administrations who keep whining about how unfair life is.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

If there's anything worse than entitled f***ing Melburnians pissing and moaning about someone taking advantage of rules that have been in place since Mary really *was* a virgin, it's Sydneysiders thinking their club is f***ing clever for taking advantage of those same rules.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Boba Fett wrote: If the Swans do well, then the AFL (and by extension the Melbourne teams) do well.
Yeah I don't buy that. Despite 30 years in Sydney the local tv audience only amounts to 6% of the AFL's total annual tv viewership. NSW doesn't pull its weight. Victoria is the heavy lifter for AFL revenue and by a very large margin.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

National exposure did improve the revenue pool for the league no doubt. But the improvement was exagerated by the depths to which the league had sunk in the period before. Mismanagement had basically rendered the VFL worthless as a marketing and media product. The huge excitement generated by the Eagles and Crows were pivotal in returning investor confidence to the sport, because at least the VFL/AFL could claim some semblence of traction in the 3 major aussie rules markets. The Swans and Gold Coast Bad News Bears didn't do sh*t in that regard. I was a fan, I was there. They were a f***ing laughing stock. They were 4 million dollars and a loophole to telecast VFL in Victoria on Sundays which was the sanctioned VFA slot (by law).

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Hadn't seen anything on the TV ratings for the Grand Final so I just checked. The 5 cities figure was 2.717m or about 400k down on the previous year. The Sydney contribution not surprisingly was 400k down on the previous year also. I think the same thing will happen to the NRL Grand Final with both the total and Melbourne contribution down.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

^ Melbourne hates sport.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/m ... 2xs5t.html

The privileged with their caps out again, but now the hand outs should be permanent.

On equalisation, Mr Jackson conveniently avoids the issue of Melbourne's competitive advantage in playing all their games at the MCG, meanwhile the "interstate" clubs play their away finals on a ground they're lucky to see twice a year.

Still quite comfortably my most hated club of any competition.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Melbourne's merger partner from 17 years ago:

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2013- ... ial-result

$3 million profit, and a lazy 26 million in net assets. Survival of the fittest.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

yob wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/m ... 2xs5t.html

The privileged with their caps out again, but now the hand outs should be permanent.
At least he's admitting it now. It wasn't that long ago that these clubs were insisting that the handouts were only temporary and they'll be viable soon.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Rob wrote:

At least he's admitting it now. It wasn't that long ago that these clubs were insisting that the handouts were only temporary and they'll be viable soon.
Survival of the Shittest

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

On equalisation, Mr Jackson conveniently avoids the issue of Melbourne's competitive advantage in playing all their games at the MCG, meanwhile the "interstate" clubs play their away finals on a ground they're lucky to see twice a year.

Still quite comfortably my most hated club of any competition.
What a bizarre interview. Would have been great for the journalist had asked him, 'so why was Hawthorn able to transform itself so dramatically and you claim the Demons can't?'

It's like he's just given up. If I were on the Melbourne board I'd be looking for a new CEO who has a modicum of ambition.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

I'd be looking to relocate the club to Ballarat/Bendigo. A similar population to Greter Geelong, and a similar distance from Melbourne. An opportunity to be the big fish which works so well for Geelong.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

No article to link, but it's AFL draft time and I've seen reference to Sydney and Collingwood opting for minimum primary lit size of 38 in favour of rookie listed players. Having a read of the league rules, it appears rookie listed players only have half their payments counted toward the total player payments.

This is pretty interesting, and goes some way to explaining how the Swans can afford to gun up their list.

League rules:

http://aflpa.com.au/images/uploads/AFL_ ... _FINAL.pdf

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Football department spending on overseas training camps starting to produce fruit...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/g ... 2yq94.html

...cakes

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/staticf ... rt2013.pdf

Collingwood - $16 million profit (including an $11 million facilities grant). $35 million net assets. Gunning for a lazy 100,000 members in 2014, already past 60,000. A titan of Australian sport.

Now it begs the question. Now that the public investment in the sport is bearing fruit, at what point can tax payers turn around and say no more subsidies, you can afford to pay your own way?