AFL 2012

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
nobleoz
Gold

Re: AFL 2012

Post by nobleoz »

Was it a mistake? Are polynesians destined only to pay RL?
Folau says he hasn't the passion. He certainly didn't have the skills. Maybe he could have, but we will never know.
Spin from the Sydney media is that it's a victory for NRL. Well they would say that, wouldn't they!
AFL got its $$ worth of publicity. It put GWS on the map & talked about - even if the media was on that Sydney insecurity thing called code war.
And the bonus for GWS is that now they can get Tippet ;-)

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Always seemed to be a different personality to KHunt. Probably had more talent, but he's a lot flakier. Hunt had the guts and determination to make it, and Folau didn't.

Might find he goes back to NRL and is a better player for the experience in the AFL system.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

yob wrote: AFL will find some positive spin on it...
done

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Rob wrote:personality
Lost me mate.

kilonewton
Bronze

Post by kilonewton »

Back to the draw, I'm in town for one game next year, Carlon v Collingwood at the 'G. The wife is scared of me when I'm watching on the TV, god help her at an actual match, especially against the toothless ones.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

I see Fox has gone through the whole season in replays and is up to Round 9 the second time around. Has anyone seen any ratings for it? I understand they are contractually obliged to do it but does it have any value to the AFL?

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

Just back from The Oval. Entertaining game & gr8 win by Port Adel. Obligatory pitch invader......too cold for a streaker!

kilonewton
Bronze

Post by kilonewton »

nobleoz wrote:Just back from The Oval. Entertaining game & gr8 win by Port Adel. Obligatory pitch invader......too cold for a streaker!
Just the one? When I went a few years back, they abandoned the game with about 5 minutes left because the invasions were too frequent. Or maybe I just think that that happened, I was suitably refreshed at the time.
Actually, I've been to The Oval a few times, always suitably refreshed. Must the venue that brings it out in me. :twisted:
On a serious note, at the risking of getting "Nines" about it, did you catch any of the curtain raiser? I know a couple of the young blokes who were playing in it and haven't seen any report on the game yet.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

The game was too exciting for streakers to interrupt! Brilliant 2nd half.
I did see the curtain-raiser - Islands vs Continent.
I saw what I thought were a lot of Port supporters - turns out they were Sheffield Thunder club, who play in Power colours. The Oval facilities are pretty ordinary - not much choice in drinks. We have it so good in Australia for spectators.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I'm a bit late to this and a lot of what I say will expand on Rob's points but the positive spin for GWS in the Folau departure is that they can build a team of substance rather than relying on a celebrity cameo. That might take more time than parachuting in RL converts but it builds a more durable foundation. Patrick Smith in The Australian suggested Folau was the loser in all this because he deprived himself of two great years in RL. I doubt Folau will feel like a loser given he probably earned $2m more in those two years than he could have in RL. Further, if Folau gets to the end of his career on 35 Origin games, are people really going to see he lost out because he could have played 41? RL code war soldiers rightly claim this as a victory because GWS will be starved of some publicity/oxygen. But of course how much weight do you give the whole code war malarkey?

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

AFL has lost the code war! Articles about soccer & NRL in today's Age, but none about AFL :wink:

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Jeffles wrote: I doubt Folau will feel like a loser given he probably earned $2m more in those two years than he could have in RL.
Half of his playing time was spent in the VFL, as GWS weren't even in the AFL yet. Laughing all the way to the bank.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

nobleoz wrote:AFL has lost the code war! Articles about soccer & NRL in today's Age, but none about AFL :wink:
Melbourne has finally caught up with Sydney then. Only took 104 years. ;)

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

So AFL will now get crowds of 19,000 & the excuse will be that there are other things to do because the weather is so nice ;-)

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

nobleoz wrote:So AFL will now get crowds of 19,000 & the excuse will be that there are other things to do because the weather is so nice ;-)
not in fucken melbourne