AFL 2012

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
gyfox
Platinum

Re: AFL 2012

Post by gyfox »

Rob wrote:Pfft, every code grossly inflates their participant numbers. Last I heard the FFA were claiming 1.7 million participants. There was an article on sports business insider a few months ago which completely debunked those particular numbers.

Why a Rugby League writer would bother writing an article on Australian football participation is what's got me baffled. Talk about constantly looking over your shoulder. Which given soccer utterly obliterates rugby league in it's own heartland in regard to participation, I reckon they're worried about the wrong competitor.

Actually she did nothing other than show that she doesn't know how to check sources that people list.

For your information the sources the FFA quoted were ERASS and ABS.

ERASS Report 2009 for 15+ participants. Table 15.
Outdoor football. 879.8k
Indoor football. 372.8k.

ABS Children's participation in sport (15 and under) April 2009. Table 1.
Soccer (outdoor) 360.4k
Soccer (indoor) 76.9k

Total. 1,689.9k which is close enough to 1.7m for me.

Interestingly using those same tables participation in AFL in 2009 was 722k which ties remarkably with the total quoted in the AFL's 2009 Annual Report of 732k in all forms of the code.

Bonita Mersiades who was the author of the article was setting up an argument that participation in junior football under the FFA's administration was in a stagnating state. She started trying to question the FFA's use of data by using data from a different source to come to a different result. All this shows is that data collected through different processes can come to different conclusions. It does nothing to discredit the FFA who referenced publicly available data that could be checked by anyone who wanted to check it.

I won't go into detail here but in the body of her article Mersiades cherry picked data from an ABS table put it into her own table and used it to make a case that did not hold true if all the information in the ABS table had been reproduced. If she had bothered to look at previous data in the same series she would have seen that the data she chose as a standard to test against was in fact a post Olympics aberration.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

The difference between being a crank and a critic is getting your sources right.

I can however offer a bogus futbol participation from Sydney FC. In last season's membership drive they were claiming that there were 900,000 participants in Sydney. Which would be about 1 in 5 people.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

gyfox wrote:
Rob wrote:Pfft, every code grossly inflates their participant numbers. Last I heard the FFA were claiming 1.7 million participants. There was an article on sports business insider a few months ago which completely debunked those particular numbers.

Why a Rugby League writer would bother writing an article on Australian football participation is what's got me baffled. Talk about constantly looking over your shoulder. Which given soccer utterly obliterates rugby league in it's own heartland in regard to participation, I reckon they're worried about the wrong competitor.

Actually she did nothing other than show that she doesn't know how to check sources that people list.

For your information the sources the FFA quoted were ERASS and ABS.

ERASS Report 2009 for 15+ participants. Table 15.
Outdoor football. 879.8k
Indoor football. 372.8k.

ABS Children's participation in sport (15 and under) April 2009. Table 1.
Soccer (outdoor) 360.4k
Soccer (indoor) 76.9k

Total. 1,689.9k which is close enough to 1.7m for me.

Interestingly using those same tables participation in AFL in 2009 was 722k which ties remarkably with the total quoted in the AFL's 2009 Annual Report of 732k in all forms of the code.
That's my point though..... FFA figures are just as rubbish as the AFLs. Probably more so given there is likely to be a lot more double counting between indoor and outdoor soccer (i.e counting the same person that plays both). All figures released are verifiable, but that doesn't mean the methodology is accurate.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Aussie rules is always going to be up against it because there's no small format game that is as readily available to all comers.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Newscorp deny any involvement! :)

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Yeah the AFL needs to roll quickly on this matter because the draft, lack of true free agency and to a lesser extent the salary cap are all prima facie restraints of trade that only carry on because of the consent of the players via their union. Any player can break ranks, go to court and get the AFL policy quashed. Terry Hill killed the rugby league draft more than 20 years ago because he didn't want to play for Souths. Tippett could just as quickly bring on free transfers in the AFL. I mean, what's the difference between him and Bosman?

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Simmo79 wrote:
Yeah the AFL needs to roll quickly on this matter because the draft, lack of true free agency and to a lesser extent the salary cap are all prima facie restraints of trade that only carry on because of the consent of the players via their union. Any player can break ranks, go to court and get the AFL policy quashed. Terry Hill killed the rugby league draft more than 20 years ago because he didn't want to play for Souths. Tippett could just as quickly bring on free transfers in the AFL. I mean, what's the difference between him and Bosman?
Pretty much. Leads me to think the sanctions on tippet will be minor, but they'll throw the book at the Cows because that club is a bunch of ineffectual middle managers that won't defend themselves.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Going back a step, what is AFC's actual suspicious arrangement?

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Simmo79 wrote:Going back a step, what is AFC's actual suspicious arrangement?
Alleged draft manipulation and lodging a player contract with AFL that didn't disclose entire payments to the player. It's not believed the 200k in question was paid above the cap, but that it was promised to the player in writing but not disclosed to the AFL. The 'draft manipulation' was simply they promised to draft tippet for a cheap 2nd round pick to a club of his choice at the end of his playing contract.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Ah, St Kilda...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 28gun.html

I think the main thing we can take from all this is...

It's October.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

Am pleased with the AFL fixture. I get to rack up frequent flyer miles to various places, as well as being in Melbourne for a lot of Friday nights - until I escape the winter for Europe :-)

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Tasmanians not too happy with fixtures allocated. Saul Eslake outspoken about the contempt the AFL shows to Tasmanian AFL fans. Refers to a "Hawthorn v Boganville" game. Perfect example of how AFLers should not talk about western Sydney if they ever want to get a toe hold in the market there.

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/522822 ... ury/?cs=95

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Israel off to the Eels.

AFL will find some positive spin on it...

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Not a shock but on balance he was probably worth it for GWS. He was the only player they had that was of any interest to the local media. The exposure benefit to the NRL in getting him back won't be as great as it was to the AFL in the first instance. I hope it's the last time we see that kind of cynical poaching move though - it treats everyone like we're mugs.