NRL 2011

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
yob
Platinum

Re: NRL 2011

Post by yob »

Jeffles wrote:I assume it's a distress signal.
It reflects my disdain for the organisation. This goes from the bottom right up to the administration. Basically it's communism.

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Post by Spirit of Santos »

I'm sick of Tottie. She's a not the hot stuff I once knew. And after her arrest for cocaine possession this year, let's just say I'm glad I never fulfilled my ambition to knock her up. What a horrible mother she would have been to our kids.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

^ so you put her on her back..... The way you want her ;)

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

yob, Newtown won 34-29 yesterday. They lve to fight another week.

In the NRL, all the home teams won. First time ever with this type finals series. That means less complaining from the media so I'm glad.

WT v Warriors at the SFS on Friday night. The way the Warriors played last night, I can't see them getting close. They were dreadful. Winner plays Melbourne for a spot in the Grand Final.

Brisbane v STGI on Saturday night. That will be a much closer game. Winner plays Manly-Warringah for a spot in the decider.
the crow wrote:^ so you put her on her back..... The way you want her ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Tremendous game between St George and Brisbane.

What do the Austadiums mafia think of Hodges tackling a clearly injured Brett Morris? Fair enough or "dog act"?

I think it was pretty low, and the only motivation could be to further wound. If it had been done by a Saints player I'd find it rather embarrassing.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Spirit of Santos wrote:Tremendous game between St George and Brisbane.

What do the Austadiums mafia think of Hodges tackling a clearly injured Brett Morris? Fair enough or "dog act"?

I think it was pretty low, and the only motivation could be to further wound. If it had been done by a Saints player I'd find it rather embarrassing.
If you're on the field, then you need to be able to play. If you've got an injury, then you need to be able to cop it sweet. If not, get off the field.

Which brings us to the issue of should Darren Lockyer play this weekend...

I'm of the opinion that it is too serious an injury to take into the game and risk permanent damage (up to and including blindness). I think if he plays it will be an example of crossing over the line that separates tough from stupid.

As the doctor says he'll still be experiencing swelling around the eye, his ability will be compromised anyway.

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Boba Fett wrote:
Spirit of Santos wrote:Tremendous game between St George and Brisbane.

If you're on the field, then you need to be able to play. If you've got an injury, then you need to be able to cop it sweet. If not, get off the field.
Did you watch the game? Because your comment has little baring on the incident as it actually occurred.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

SoS is right. This wasn;t the act of a player that knew he was injured and still went 100% in for battle. If it wasm he deserves to get belted. This was a player who got injured in the course receiving the ball, fell to the ground and clearly signalled he was not going to proceed with play and signalled he was in need of attention. It is the basic spirit of rugby league and in other sports, that a stoppage occurs and the player is attended to. In soccer, you'll see the ball be kicked out for a throw-in. In RL, you need to touch the still player on the ground to technically effect a tackle. Hodges did a lot more than that and he clearly had time to stop. He won't get supended, I don't thni kbut what he has done is against the spirit of the game and offensive to spectators.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Far be it for me to defend Hodges (I am a Dragons fan actually), but I didn't think it was all that bad. Certainly no worse than when two players tackle someone, have it all under control and then a third comes in from the side, purely with the intent to inflict as much damage as possible to the tackled (and defenceless) player. And that happens multiple times every game.

I guess I don't have very high expectations of players these days. Shame really...

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Those are lowly regarded as well.

However they happen in the heat of battle. In this scenario Morris was clearly injured, and clearly had surrendered. He had his hand up, as did Hornby. Morris didn’t even attempt to pass the ball to Hornby. Hodges saw all this and decided to pile on as he lay on the ground in agony. All he had to do to effect the tackle was to place a hand on him.

I agree with Jeffles that he shouldn't be suspended. However I think he should be criticised and it should be made clear that smashing injured players laying on the ground who have surrendered is not something that is "part of the game."

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

oh my god yes

can't believe it

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

David Gallop would be happy with that result!!
Well played by the Warriors, hopefully they smash Manly next week!

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Warriors v All Blacks chokeathon?

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

can't be many rational people expecting the warriors to win, so i don't think so.

if the -20s don't win it's a fail. but the nsw cup and first grade are probably both easily underdogs.