NRL 2011

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Boba Fett
Silver

Re: NRL 2011

Post by Boba Fett »

Simmo79 wrote:that would secure the future of the Greater East Melbourne Giants for sure
They'd need to secure the future of the Storm first. How are they going to survive without Rupert's money propping them up?

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

It's probably unlikely that the NRL TV deal will surpass the AFL's, if only for the fact that an AFL broadcast goes for 50% more time. Meaning, you can sell 50% more ads.

If the NRL got really greedy, they could think about introducing more artifical breaks in the game to show more ads. Wouldn't put it past them...

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

They won't get near that. They'll get less than the AFL too. Gyngell spelled it out this week. Not enough ads.

More disappointing has been the axing of the midweek Test AND the introduction of a country round. The former relegates rep footy and the latter entrenches the code in a pattern that inhibits growth. Oh, and Origin on a Monday night. The "burnout problem" is replaced by a "drown out the publicity for the weekend's fixtures" problem. And what happens if AFL introduces MNF?

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Holy freaking crap. Sharkies report finally out. Don't forget this report is for the year ended 31 October 2010.

http://www.sharkies.com.au/htmleditor/d ... 2010V4.pdf

When you look at the date of the audit opinion and the date of the refinancing agreement signed with St George it's pretty obvious why this is about 6 months late.

There are literally three entire pages and three notes (plus the section of the audit report) dedicated to the going concern issue. Amazing financial report. I don't think I've ever seen one quite like it.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Highlights (or lowlights):

1. Any financial report that includes the word "forbearance" is problematic.
2. The football club has past due debts to the ATO.
3. Leagues Club current ratio of an amazing 0.1 times. Less than 1 is generally considered bad. What's interesting is that it's actually better than last year.
4. Leagues Club gave less cash to the football club than the Steelers did to the Dragons.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Wow. Even with my limited knowledge it makes for bad reading. On the football club side, they received less money in sponsorship and merchandise roylaties were stagnant. Their crowds are up significantly this year plus they had the game in Taupo but there's still a lot of ground to make up.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

In tonights match between Canterbury and North Queensland, a Cowboy's penalty goal is paying $17

http://www.tab.com.au/Sports/Betting/Pl ... tingType=0

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6111227336

Phil Rothfield spends an awful lot of his time worrying about what 'Gus' Gould does or doesn't do. What an odd little man...

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

^^ 95% of his output is "how good is Cronulla/Paul Gallen/Gavin Miller/Fox Sports" or "how bad is Gus Gould/Colin Love/Danny Wiedler/Khoder Nasser's client base". I could ghostwrite for him. In fact, I just did.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Boba Fett wrote:http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6111227336

Phil Rothfield spends an awful lot of his time worrying about what 'Gus' Gould does or doesn't do. What an odd little man...
Gus it's buzz. 2 questions. Why release gr8 role model petero if u so worried abt AFL and why didnt u use nrl conference on state of game on July 21 to raise ur concerns instead of heading to Newcastle at 11am.

what a douche

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

To my mind, the second question is important. Gus has a track record of campaigning through media rather than through official channels. If he avoids the latter, he doesn't have any ownership of the solutions, which have their pros and cons whatever the issue is (referees, rep football etc).

Asking someone by text or rather, expecting answers by text that therefore limitb explainations is not proper journalism.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Jeffles wrote:To my mind, the second question is important. Gus has a track record of campaigning through media rather than through official channels. If he avoids the latter, he doesn't have any ownership of the solutions, which have their pros and cons whatever the issue is (referees, rep football etc).

Asking someone by text or rather, expecting answers by text that therefore limitb explainations is not proper journalism.
I agree on that - my concern was the sending of text messages and using text speech like a 15 year old

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Jeffles wrote:Asking someone by text or rather, expecting answers by text that therefore limitb explainations is not proper journalism.
Rothfield is not a proper journalist.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

STGI :lol:

Unfortunately, I tipped them.

WT v Parra this Sunday could get pretty ugly. If it's a dry track, Wests might put 50 on them.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Jeffles wrote: WT v Parra this Sunday could get pretty ugly. If it's a dry track, Wests might put 50 on them.
Parra to lose in the last 10 minutes