Football(Soccer) in Australia - the future?

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Football(Soccer) in Australia - the future?

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

In the wake of all of the negativity in Australian football over the last 30odd hours, this is a column that I've written for the Adelaide United fan site http://www.wearethereds.com.au. it is intended for that audience, so I fully expect to be picked to sh*t here by people that either hate football or are indifferent at best. Still, Not all football people are constant knockers of the sport and I certainly do not believe that the sky is falling because we failed to land the 2022 World Cup. Nor do I think it a useful use of my time and effort to continue to feel angry and hateful towards Qatar or FIFA. New thread because I didn't feel that it fit in the A-League thread - if the moderators feel differently, of course you can merge this into that thread as you wish.

Why I’m optimistic about Football in Australia

Well it’s been about 30 hours since the disastrous decision by FIFA to take the World Cup to Qatar. I’ve swung through the gamut of emotions, from wanting to nuke Zurich and Doha, (My first thought was to write an article entitled You can stick your FIFA up your Qatar!) but While I’m never going to forget the crushing disappointment, reading my Saturday newspaper with its quota of the usual suspect football haterz sprouting their predictable “what a waste of money/its only Soccer/ its the end of Soccer in Australia Rubbish! [wishful thinking by the usual suspects - R. Wilson, G. Cornes etc :o
I kind of thought we needed to break out of the cycle that we as football fans fall into at the drop of a hat(or any bad news really). Sometimes if there aren’t any actual bad news stories, we’ll even go so far as to find a middle of the road story and take it to its negative extreme. What I feel we need right now, just like the FFA does, is to focus on what we CAN affect…this means the Socceroos, the A-League, our local clubs and our immediate circle of influence.
So with that in mind, here are the top 5 reasons I’m optimistic about football in Australia:

1. The future of the Socceroos. I was there..I saw Die Mannschaft run rings around the creaky old Socceroo defenders in Durban. I stood outside the Moses Mabhida Stadium waiting for my mates to exit so we could get to our coach for the hellish bus ride back to Jo’burg as the German fans danced in the street singing ”Not vun, not two, not three, but four!!” Pim Verbeek’s reign had many fans questioning the future of the national team; our Golden Generation had qualified for two Cups in a row, but had not progressed past the 2nd round in Germany and despite gaining the same points total in Africa, leaving the 2010 tourney after the group stages. But what then? Where were the youngsters to replace our creaky defence going to come from? The general consensus was that qualifying for Brasil 2014 wasn’t going to be enough; we needed to take the country on a ride deep into the elimination rounds much like the USA did in Japorea 2002 to really capture the general public’s attention once again.
Well, in the last 5 months, the young Socceroos(u/20s) coached by Jan Versleijen finished runners up in the AFC u/19 tournament in China only falling in the final to our friends from North Korea 3-2 to go onto qualify for the 2011 u/20World Cup in Columbia(July/August). The same u/19s won (yes, we won some silverware in Asia!) the AFF u/19 Youth Championship(Australia, Sth Korea, Vietnam and Thailand competed) Mustafa Amini isn’t just a cult figure under an absurdly cool ranga afro, going on match reports from China he was obviously one of Australia’s best on field in the recent AFC tournament. Our very own Kerem Bulut finished as the Golden Boot of the u/19 Asian Championship with 7 goals. And guess where he plays? Czechoslovakia….he used to play with Sydney FC having learned his trade at the NSWIS before moving on. What does this mean? Besides an indictment on Sydney FC who have let go in recent years: Chris Payne(NQF) and Kerem Bulut(CZE), to me it means the conveyer belt of football talent wasn’t killed by the disbanding of the NSL and the creation of the A-League. The successful u/19’s team also contained players such as Adelaide United’s Matthew Leckie, the Central Coast’s Mustafa Amini, Melbourne Heart’s Eli Babalj and Kerem Bulut formerly of Sydney FC. If anything, it has accelerated it, which brings me to point #2

2. The Joeys (u/17s) again coached by Jan Versleijen, made it to the Semi-Finals of the 2010 u/16 AFC Cup(knocked out by Hosts Uzbekistan) to qualify for the 2011 u/17 World Cup in Mexico (June/July).Two things here, firstly as mentioned above, the conveyer belt of young talent coming through ‘the system’ set up by National Technical Director Han Berger appears to be showing fruit. With Jan Versleijen bringing a continuity to the youth set-up with regards to style of play, a more finished product should be fed up to the Young Socceroos and ultimately the full National team. Secondly, it appears that players are seriously considering the A-League as not only a first level finishing school, but by Jan Versleijen picking players from the HAL he shows that the local league is a valid path to greater footballing honours, first your local state league team, then you’re a-League youth team, onto the national youth set-up and of course then senior A-League caps before hopefully getting selected by the National team gaffer for a senior Socceroos call-up. I believe that save for a horrendous Surat Sukha tackle in October, young Matt Leckie would have been selected by Holger Osiek for the 2011 Asian Cup squad, before jetting off to further his career/football education in the Bundesliga. I believe that our best young players will always want to test their mettle in the cauldron of European football, but the better the A-League gets, the longer we’ll be able to hold on to them and watch their prodigious talents live and in the flesh. This brings me to point #3.

3. The Hyundai A-League. 10 years ago, division1 football in Australia was a complete mess. The NSL was living on borrowed time. Producing the odd exceptional player who would immediately bog off to Europe at the first opportunity. The level of media coverage was non existent. In the days before the internet became as ubiquitous as it is these days, finding even basic things like results was nigh on impossible. Can anyone honesty imagine FoxSports investing upwards of $100m t broadcast games in mostly empty suburban stadia featuring teams named Sydney Croatia and Brunswick Juventus? Using crowd figure as a measure of popularity, the NSL averaged crowds of 2 to 3 thousandper game in its final 5 years[source http://www.ozsoccer.net] and this is with the huge crowds Perth glory brought to the competition. Fast forward to 2010, we’re complaining that the A-League is ‘only averaging crowds of 8,300' in its sixth season. Let me tell you that for the fifth year in a row, well over 1 million fans will attend an A-League regular season fixture this season [06/07: 1,085,829; 07/08: 1,227,853; 08/09: 1,023,147; 09/10: 1,329,779; 10/11:836,110@ 12Dec 2010] The potential that the A-League has for growth is the single most important difference between new football and old Soccer. If the standard continues to improve and more casual fans can be converted to die hard fans, then there is no reason the A-League can’t go on to become one of the premier footballing Leagues in Asia. Certainly its not all roses on the A-League front, like a couple of ‘new’ leagues that spring to mind[J.League, MLS] after an initial boom driven by the ‘newness factor’ things settle back down to a certain level. This is the consolidation phase. General consensus on the terraces is that FFA emboldened by the success of the A-League in seasons 1 and 2, took their eye off the ball in fact many have been critical of the A$46million spend on the World Cup bid whilst seemingly ignoring the A-League, but as Dan Silkstone makes clear in his Sydney Morning Herald Article:”Now where were we? Dated 04December 2010
“Some fans and commentators have complained that the A-League has stagnated or even gone backwards while the FFA has pumped $45.6 million into the World Cup bid. The truth is that money was specially designated by the federal government, and would never have been available for underpinning the domestic competition”
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/now-where-w ... 18jsg.html
Other quotes from that same article indicate the stooge himself Ben Buckley might even be starting to ‘get it’ regarding the perception that the strength of the sport in Australia is very much linked to the health of the A-League for many sports commentators, especially those who take every opportunity to further the code wars by sticking the boot into football at every opportunity, such as Ms Rebecca Wilson and Mr Graham Cornes.
“A period of upheaval but also opportunity now exists for football in Australia in the short term.”We have some decisions to make in the next few weeks about the structural elements of the A-League," Buckley said. "We will go from strength to strength. This has been a positive in that it has elevated football into people's consciousness. I think the A-League will be stronger for it," Buckley said.

Buckley said he would now be able to devote more time and resources to fixing the domestic game's problems. "It means that the whole organisation doesn't have this other massive project going on in parallel. That will certainly sharpen the focus and sharpen the minds, and allow us to concentrate our energy and resources into growing the A-League," he said.

4. The Matilda’s. So often we as fans focus exclusively on the Male aspect of the game. But as we are constantly taunted with by fans of Australia’s other football codes, “Soccer is a girl’s game”. And you know what? It is! The Matilda’s were the first senior Australian football team to win a continental championship since the move into Asia in 2006 and they continue to provide positive and amazing guidance as role models to young women and girls with regards to football. Once again this is a point of difference that we as football fans should celebrate. I think we have a women’s Rugby team (the Wallaroos) but if I’m ever lucky enough to have children and I’m blessed with girls, the Matilda’s are exactly the type of influence hope they pay attention to when they get angry at Dad and cease to talk to me. Fit and healthy young women, showing that it is more than just acceptable for women to raise a sweat playing a sport (In my experience, lots of girls give up playing sport in high school because its not considered cool to be all sweaty and running around like the boys do), generally playing for passion rather than the riches that the men are able to collect. The Westfield W-League is part of FFA’s remit to provide the ladies with a viable ‘intermediate step’ between the local state competition and the international stage. I’m proud that the sport I love can be played and enjoyed at international level by 100% of the human race, not just those with their plumbing on the outside. Women’s football isn’t as fast or as physical as men’s football, but this just places the onus on the players to play with more skill and I was captivated by the Matilda’s as they played their way to the AFC Women’s Championship earlier this year.

5. The Fans. Lastly but certainly not the least, the thing that makes me most optimistic about the future of football in Australia are the fans. We are passionate, devoted and acutely atuned to the technology of the modern world. We purchased the 4th most tickets to travel to South Africa to attend the 2010 World Cup. Surveys have shown that in general we are educated and have a reasonable degree of disposable income. In short, we are an advertiser’s wet-dream. Once the middle-aged pony tail wearing advertising guru’s who say ‘ciao’ into their iPhones realise this, we will help FFA and the A-League clubs partake in a much richer sponsorship pie. Our sport is the only sport that engages the world on a regular basis. The whole world; not just the vestiges of the former British Empire. If you want to promote your business to a desirable local demographic as well as the growing Asian market, your product needs to be on the shirt of a football team or on the hoardings around that team’s home ground.
Besides the money aspect of the fans, our passion is what will drive the game forward. It is up to us to break out of the negativity cycle and to put our best foot forward. Our passion and the atmosphere this creates in A-League stadiums or at Socceroos home games is what will draw in the great unwashed and more importantly, keep them coming back. It is a fantastic point of difference to other sports. Football is a bug, once you are exposed to it (sometimes it only takes one moment of brilliance in a game) as well as the atmosphere created by the fanatical fans, it is hard not to catch it. We can do our part to elevate the A-League to pandemic levels in the Australian Sporting psyche. It’s no good harnessing the negative emotions we feel from being duded by FIFA yet again. We cannot control those emotions, but WE CAN and should dictate to ourselves how we will re-act to those emotions. Joining a “f**k FIFA, f**k Sepp Blatter”, a “boycott Qatar in 2022” or “you can stick your FIFA up your Qatar” Facebook group might give you a 3 second buzz that you are ‘keeping the faith’ , but ask yourself, are you really being proactive in building our sport? I urge you all to get out there and get into the ears of your friends to promote the game. Fight the negative false stereotypes with knowledge and facts. Only with facts can falsehoods be disproved. And thus beliefs challenged. To help you maintain a positive mindset, I’ve grabbed this Lucas Neill quote from Dan Silkstone’s article referenced above: “Socceroo Lucas Neill vowed to take the game forward, despite a disappointment he said ranked alongside the 2006 World Cup loss to Italy. "Seven years ago we were dreaming about going to a World Cup, being part of a World Cup, now we are disappointed that we are not hosting it," he said. "That's a long way to come in seven years."
Go forth my friends and football colleagues, be positive and lets build our game up from the local level upwards!
Last edited by Adelaide_United_Red on Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Re: Football(Soccer) in Australia - the future?

I was just reminded of point#6. - honourable mention category?
6. The 2015 Asian Cup. the 2015 tournament will be held by Australia. It hasn't been officially announced yet, but the FFA are the only bidders and common consensus was that the AFC were waiting for the World Cup process to be over before finalising its premiere national cup competition - I expect the announcement will be made either in the lead up to or the denouement of Qatar '11 to enable a hand over similar to the Olympics. The proposed venues by FFA are Etihad Stadium, AAMI Park, Suncorp Stadium, Skilled Park, ANZ Stadium, Sydney Football Stadium, Parramatta Stadium and Canberra Stadium.I think 2 or 3 venues will be cut to streamline the tournament.[AFC Cup Tournament regulations require a minimum of four and a maximum of five stadia]
To be played in January 2015 it is nowhere near as prestigious as the World cup, but it will be great to see a large international football tournament being hosted in Australia. It could provide an insight into the 'power of international football' to create dialogue with our Asian neighbours and trading partners. Our biggest footballing rivals in Japan and South Korea are likely to qualify and head groups as seeds. Next years Cup in Qatar has India appearing for the first time. The 16 countries that have qualified for 2011 are:
* Australia
* Bahrain
* China PR
* India (2008 AFC Challenge Cup Champions)
* Iran
* Iraq (Defending Champions)
* Japan
* Jordan
* Korea DPR (2010 AFC Challenge Cup Champions)
* Korea Republic (2007 AFC Asian Cup 3rd Place)
* Kuwait
* Qatar (Host Nation)
* Saudi Arabia (2007 AFC Asian Cup Runner-up)
* Syria
* United Arab Emirates
* Uzbekistan
Typically the top 4 teams (the semi-finalists) go through to the next tournament, plus the host team.
I can't speak for other football fans, but I'm excited about this event even though I'll have to travel to da East to watch games! I imagine that Australia will be based in Sydney and that Socceroos games will be at the Stade de Oz

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

they havent announced that Australia have the AFC yet......maybe Qatar will get it ;)

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

the crow wrote:they havent announced that Australia have the AFC yet......maybe Qatar will get it ;)
Anything seems possible in the murky world of football politics, but it would be a Nadia Comanici-like maneuver from the AFC to explain how Australia as THE ONLY bidder for the tournament didn't get it. My latest rumour-on-the street is 6th Jan in Qatar(2011 Host) for the official Announcement.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Who or what is the biggest threat(s) to the growth of football in Australia?

Last week I wrote a blog about how I felt optimistic about the future of football in Australia. I stand by those comments and I continue to feel that confidence. However, there is always a flip side and anybody that goes around ignoring the downside to focus only on the up-side is seriously mentally unstable in my opinion. Which brings me to my topic for this week:.
Who or what is the biggest threat(s) to the growth of football in Australia?
You might expect me to list off the usual gang of idiots (as MAD Magazine’s Alfred E. Newman might say) of #1AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou, #2 dinosaur journalists who are ignorant and appear to hate the world game such as Roy Masters, Rebecca Wilson, Peter Fitzsimmons, or even plump a bit closer to home; a man some including myself have derided as an AFL Trojan Horse, #3 FFA CEO Ben Buckley. I’ll say right now I am not worried by these folks and their effect on the beautiful game in Australia. Mr Demetriou was only doing what any competent administrator would do in protecting his turf. Perhaps we in football-land are so unused to seeing a competent administrator that we automatically switch to hurt-mode to hide a bit of jealousy that our current administration is not (yet) in the same sphere of competence or reach. Perhaps we will get a football administrator to replace Mr Frank Lowy on that sad day when he shuffles off this mortal coil. Messers Masters and Fitzsimmons are a vestige of ‘the old guard’ of sports journalists who were brought up in the “one-code for life” era. They have failed to read the winds of change that Australia’s demographic changes have demonstrated that the average sports consumer/fan is more than capable of watching and supporting many different sports as their tastes and disposable incomes desire. Masters and Fitzsimmons fear for their place in the work-force in the same way that farriers and blacksmiths feared the motor car 80 years ago. They will eventually move on(or perhaps pass on) and as they do they will be replaced by new blood more representative of the current generation of sports fans in Australia, like Mr Dan Silkstone of fairfax, who is able to write eloquently about both AFL and world football without any noticeable bias towards one or the other. FFA CEO Mr Buckley has hardly proceeded over a golden period of administrating the game, with expansion hardly to be considered a success and the farcical ’acceptance’ then still-birth of the Sydney Rovers FC entry to the A-League. That leaves the cupboard pretty bare for what worries me about the future of the sport in Australia. The biggest threat in my mind is you my football following friends. But we love the game you say, how can we, the very lifeblood of the game be your number one enemy? Please allow me to elaborate further by defining specific sub-groups of football fans. It is these subgroups that worry me greatly. They are:
#1. Eurosnobs: Eurosnobs claim to follow and even like the sport, but only if it’s a game involving a member of the English Big 4 or Spain’s Barca/Real Madrid duopoly. Perhaps they extend their latin Love to Italy’sSerie A. These people constantly talk down the local product providing ammunition to those who would have their views reinforced. For example: Peter thinks he might go to a football game to experience the atmosphere for himself and have a go. He’s seen highlights occasionally on TV and has perhaps even watched the Socceroos during the World Cup, maybe his kid plays a bit on the weekend. Not really knowing much about the game he looks for an ‘expert’ close by. He remembers a colleague wearing an Arsenal/ManU/Chelsea/ Barcelona or any Eurosnob favourite-shirt last Casual Friday in the office and tracks him down.
He says “Dave you follow Soccer, I’m thinking of going along to watch a game this weekend, got any tips?”
Dave’s response ”Ah Pete why would you do that? The A-League is crap and nowhere near as good as the European game”.
It is highly unlikely that Dave has been to an A-League game in recent times as he might be shocked by the improvement in standard in the 6 years since the inaugural season of the A-League. Dave might have grown up in another country following his local club, but has moved to Australia for various reasons and this blogger is certainly not suggesting a person should forsake their original club, for that would break with one of the central tenants of following football (any code).Thou shall NOT change your team, in fact you cannot change your team once you’ve invested emotional capital into the success or otherwise (like Spurs fans!) of that team.
So for a bloke like Dave who claims to like football, has he really been helpful?
#2. Football zealots. Like most examples of extremism, the football zealot litters his or her language with fiery emotional terms such as bogan-ball, gayFL, thug-by League, Hand-egg. And “Its not soccer, its football!” when participating in ‘discussions/rants’ regarding other sports played at a high level in Australia. There can be no doubt that the world game engenders a particular type of passion. It’s part of what makes the game so special. It helps breed the type of supporter who spends money on creating tifos and who will stand in terrible weather singing and chanting to exhort his/her team towards glory, at the same time creating the type of atmosphere that is a point of difference when compared with other games; the point of difference that can act like a beacon in attracting new fans. When they are hearing words like gayFL and bogan-ball to describe games they grew up watching, how welcome do the new fans feel though when they look to immerse themselves in this new game in town (lets not kid ourselves, the A-League is still a lot more accessible to new fans than the old NSL was, hence many general sports fans are unaware of the long and distinguished history of club football in Australia extending back prior to 2005). Think back to how hurtful it was/still is to be referred to as a fan of Wog-ball, or fag-ball or to see written in any numerous opinion piece articles ”who cares, its only Soccer” The chief offender (mainly because his opinion is spread far and wide via his newspaper columns) in this IMO is the High Priest of football zealotry, SBS’s football ‘expert’ and respected former Socceroo, Mr Craig ‘Fozzie’ Foster. Now this isn’t so much an attack on the man, whose passion and experiences in the great game I very much respect. It is more a look at the tactics. Fozz quite rightly bangs on quite a lot about tactics in football, but perhaps he needs to re-examine his tactics as self appointed Chief Cheerleader in the mainstream press. Fozz hit a new low even for him when earlier this year during the bitter media campaign being ‘fought’ between the AFL and the FFA regarding stadia for the 2022 World Cup Bid he said ”AFL it’s not even a sport is it?” I believe the point he was trying to make was to draw attention to the fact that outside the Southern states of the world’s most isolated continent, The game known as ‘football’ to 7 million paying spectators in 2010 is hardly known. Regardless of his intentions, the result came across as terribly arrogant (a brush which then paints Joe and Jane average-world-football-fan) and I feel it seriously browned off a lot of potential spectators for the A-League. I wonder how many AFL fans heard that comment and thought, screw you, I will never ever give even 1 dollar to soccer let alone shelling out the $20 it costs to go to an A-League game. Australia only has 21 million people. If we are to continue to see growth of the game of football in Australia, I firmly believe we need to accept the fact that a vast majority of our future fans are already interested in what we refer to as a competing code. Melbourne Victory have apparently conducted internal polling and determined that approx 50% of its season ticket holders are also members of AFL clubs. There is no code war. There is an internal war amongst football fans to realise that the growth of our game relies on us to be accommodating and welcoming of new fans, not exclusive and arrogant. That path will only turn off future fans. If person A can afford it, why can’t they follow St.George/Easts/Collingwood/Carlton in Winter and then switch to their A-League club of choice for summer? It seems to work in America where once the NFL season is over in January, fans switch their attention to Basketball (College or NBA) and then they might take a passing interest in Baseball or MLS as Summer arrives only to repeat again as the NFL season rolls around in October. Our game survived the 1940’s and 50’s because the Anglo sports clubs didn’t welcome the wogs readily to join in and play, with the odd exception of course. Let’s not make the mistake of closing our game off to new fans by placing ourselves above fans of other sports. We are not better, merely different. We’d better not be bitter; we need to be welcoming anyone with even a passing interest in the game with open Arms.
As for the Eurosnobs, this I’ll slide-rule-pass back from the by-line to the FFA and the media such as SBS to stop talking down the local game and to help get people already partial to the game (partial enough to learn how to say Real Madrid properly and/or to get up at 3 am to watch an EPL game in their pyjama’s without having experienced live the thrill of a crowd going bananas for a long awaited goal.) I firmly believe that although the quality of the A-League is not and may never ever be up to the standard of the Premiership/LaLiga/Serie A, nothing can possibly compare to the feeling of joy when you as part of a crowd of likeminded fans witness one of those special goals that win a game or secure a lucky point after investing yourself emotionally in the fortunes of the local XI as they battle away against that pack of ‘cheats’ from ’over there’. The FFA needs to promote this type of feeling for the local game in the face of competition from older, better and more established leagues around the world. We are in a bit of a plateau at the moment, but the fans are out there. I hope that the FFA uses the sting of FIFA rejection to focus on the threats to the local game and to solve them. We as a football community need to take ownership of the problem of getting more people along to A-League games with us. To pinch the yanks WC2022 slogan,
the game is in US!

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

the biggest threat is free to air TV, untill the A-league get on FTA it will not be able to grow as other codes have.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

the crow wrote:the biggest threat is free to air TV, untill the A-league get on FTA it will not be able to grow as other codes have.
If we're not powerful enough for FTA TV when we sell some rights to FTA TV, we'll just get Channel seven-ed again:(

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

In 2005 people sooked that football could only reach 1.7 million pay tv subscribers.

In 2010 people are sooking that it only reaches 2.4 million.

In 2015 they'll sook about an even bigger number.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

And at the end of the day, if FTW thought there was a market they would bid for the rights.

RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

After watching the Sydney v Heart (6,636 att.) game the other night it's ever so apparent that Sydney need another team to rejuvenate not only FC, but the entire competition ASAP.

Surely someone in the supposed football heartland can get their act together?

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

If you really want to know where your code is going or what could be done to to improve things .
Even though I'm totally indifferent to the watching of soccer (except at a grassroots level) there are some obvious and not so obvious changes that could be made .One of the problems is that soccer always attempts the quick fix ,the wc , the new championship ,the new league , the new team instead of the more traditional approach .

As I'm more interested in contact sports I can see better potential there but their fans aren't seriously interested in what I have to say anyway .Such is life .

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Nines wrote:If you really want to know where your code is going or what could be done to to improve things .
Even though I'm totally indifferent to the watching of soccer (except at a grassroots level) there are some obvious and not so obvious changes that could be made .One of the problems is that soccer always attempts the quick fix ,the wc , the new championship ,the new league , the new team instead of the more traditional approach .

As I'm more interested in contact sports I can see better potential there but their fans aren't seriously interested in what I have to say anyway .Such is life .
I'm curious as to what you mean by "the more traditional approach"?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

That's garbage. Everyone is going the quick fix.

Look at GWS and GC Suns. Or Melbourne Storm. Or the Melbourne Rebels. In today's world, administrators realise it takes too long to invest in grassroots without a senior team and play the waiting game.

With Perf, Adelaide and the NZ, the A-League started with a mix of existing clubs and new ones. Soccer can establish itself as a summer staple in Australia if it sticks it out because cricket's not really cutting it. Cricket's summer is shrinking as it increasingly tours in October/November and the domestic game is treated like crap except for December/January's T20.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Jeffles wrote:That's garbage. Everyone is going the quick fix.

Look at GWS and GC Suns. Or Melbourne Storm. Or the Melbourne Rebels. In today's world, administrators realise it takes too long to invest in grassroots without a senior team and play the waiting game.

With Perf, Adelaide and the NZ, the A-League started with a mix of existing clubs and new ones. Soccer can establish itself as a summer staple in Australia if it sticks it out because cricket's not really cutting it. Cricket's summer is shrinking as it increasingly tours in October/November and the domestic game is treated like crap except for December/January's T20.
this..in all my years of following football in Australia, too often the game tries something and if it doesn't immediately work, it gets scrapped for the next "cunning plan"[/baldrick] IMO the A-League just needs time, time to build traditions and a culture of support from parent to child that sustains success-pooer teams like St. Kilda in the AFL. AUFC are set to post a modest profit on last season. If the model that enables HAL teams to survive into the next decades has been found, the league will survive and allow itself the chance to thrive. Every year since s1 the standard has improved. As the clubs learn more, I predict that this improvement will continue. There is no tangible reason why the HAL can't carve out a spot for itself in the sporting calendar of Australia. These things take time and an administration willing to refine what we have to be better at each step and thus provide the time(by surviving/improving) the league needs.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

It would help the appeal of the A League if people like Kewell return in the twighlight, like Aloisi did and Farina if you want to stretch it back. Names coming back attracts people.

At the same time, the A League needs to be a legitimate option for players at the beginning of their careers as an alternative to lower leagues in Europe. Players go to these leagues to get spotted by the top division clubs in Europe. The salaries I understand are similar to Australia but it is about exposure. I think that is slowly happening.