Cronulla Death Watch

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Cronulla Death Watch

Post by Spirit of Santos »

I think this topic needs it's own thread, I wish I'd started it a couple of years ago. It would have been good to have had a thread to reference all the blows, scandals, sponsorship losses, dismal Financial Statement's, internal political strife and awful on field results that have enveloped this club over the past few years.

I'm not claiming that Cronulla will definitely die, but it is a very real possibility without another bailout or wealthy benefactor.

The latest development for this dismal club:
Sharks CEO quits
Posted May 28, 2010 16:10:00

Cronulla chief executive Richard Fisk has announced he will not renew his contract with the Sharks and will finish his tenure on June 21.

The announcement comes the same week Sharks coach Ricky Stuart was granted a release from the final year of his contract.

The Sharks say an announcement on a replacement for Fisk will be made in due course.

Fisk replaced Tony Zappia in June last year.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... ugbyleague

dibo
Gold

Re: Cronulla Death Watch

Post by dibo »

*fingers crossed*

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

fkn lol yob.

They can stagger over the line and get the CC Bears in at the start of the next TV deal.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

This is why we need a proper 2nd division for smaller clubs like the Sharks

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Unfortunately nobody in this country backs lower-level footy. People go for it in the UK and even in the US where there are college and minor leagues that are well attended.

Rumours abound about Cronulla. A lot of RL people won't care if they go, especially if the Bears come back. Cronulla have been bailed out more times than the South Australian car industry. Of course, it would be embarrassing for the league to lose a team.

At the end of it all, the Sharks will consider relocation. Then they will play themselves off against the Bears. That would be interesting.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Jeffles wrote:Unfortunately nobody in this country backs lower-level footy. People go for it in the UK and even in the US where there are college and minor leagues that are well attended.

Rumours abound about Cronulla. A lot of RL people won't care if they go, especially if the Bears come back. Cronulla have been bailed out more times than the South Australian car industry. Of course, it would be embarrassing for the league to lose a team.

At the end of it all, the Sharks will consider relocation. Then they will play themselves off against the Bears. That would be interesting.
I would say SANFL and to a lesser extent the WAFL are our best examples of fans backing lower-level footy. In both those cases, they used to be the pinnacle league in both states...

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Egan wrote: I would say SANFL and to a lesser extent the WAFL are our best examples of fans backing lower-level footy. In both those cases, they used to be the pinnacle league in both states...
The NSWRL needs Cronulla and a few more teams to drop out of the NRL and be serious about competing at that level

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

One wonders if the NRL will step in like the AFL has. The NRL isn't as cash rich and everytime a new windfall comes, the clubs pressure the league to give it to them, rather than invest in whole-of-game projects.

The aove talk about a relocation to the CC would of course rest on their existing debts being cleared. Thinking about it further, a relocation would not be easy while they still have debts hanging around. Maybe that's when we'd see the fire sale.

Where's Elle McPherson? When her Dad was President, I remember her donning a jersey in a promo. Cronulla never looked better!

Interesting that this has all come to light now after a big board purge last year. Barry Pierce ran the show for so long, as well as having positions at NRL board level. I haven't seen him in the media anywhere in the past few months.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

^ now they have Bingle......

oh thats right

no money..no prospecst...no credibility.........

she's perfect!

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I think even Max Markson knew not to have Lara associated with that sinking ship.

Steve Mascord in RLW reports that five Cronulla players have get out clauses in their contract if Stuart leaves. Cronulla fans will hope it's the dead wood that invoke the clauses but the money may not be spent on their replacements.

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Some dude can't remember if it was CEO or Chairman said after Flanagan was appointed as coach that he would be given the whole cap to spend next year.

Yes, as I remember Elle Macpherson (Elanor Gow) was used in Sharks marketing in the mid 90s, Super League era I believe. So while she may be beautiful, she's a very ugly person inside. I would liken her to Eva Braun.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Richard Fisk said they'd spend the cap. He's the outgoing CEO. While they may say that, they do have debts to pay.

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

CRONULLA-Sutherland Leagues Club yesterday threw itself open to amalgamation in a move that could signal deeply troubled waters for the cash-strapped Sharks.

While Sharks chairman Damian Irvine last night played down the shock move to publicly advertise for partners, club industry sources were left deeply concerned for the future of the NRL's shakiest franchise.

Sharks officials earlier this week contacted ClubsNSW, which yesterday invited its member organisations to provide Cronulla with "expressions of interest" about a "possible amalgamation".

Cronulla had planned to tell its 18,000 members on Monday, but The Daily Telegraph discovered the development after obtaining the ClubsNSW circular from a rival NRL club official.

"ClubsNSW has been notified by the Cronulla-Sutherland Leagues Club Ltd that it is seeking expressions of interest from registered clubs in the same region with a view to exploring the possibility of an amalgamation," the circular read.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 5929073475

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

By the way, that Sharks Village development is very close to... never happening.