SANFL 2010

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
yob
Platinum

Re: SANFL 2010

Post by yob »

34,355 at Football Park and it looks like Central is going to win it.

The total season crowd was 343891, which is up 13,120 on last year, but down on 2008 (362,269). The regular season crowd was however the highest since 2002.

In other news, the SANFL is now looking likely to allow the PAFC/PAMFC merger.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Central won by a goal.

RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

Great crowd and it sounds like it was a good game.

We used to get this game televised into Victoria once upon a time and it's a shame it's not done anymore - same for the WAFL grand final.

...but the question on everyone's mind, what colour were the posts? :?

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Footy Park's posts are white, and not rectangular unlike the traditional SA posts. Thank Wayne Carey for that. And by the way I was right behind the post he hit in that incident and he fucken smashed it. Television truly takes the oomph out of the hits.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

yob wrote:Footy Park's posts are white, and not rectangular unlike the traditional SA posts. Thank Wayne Carey for that. And by the way I was right behind the post he hit in that incident and he fucken smashed it. Television truly takes the oomph out of the hits.
Footy Park's posts are white, thinking about it logically, I couldn't imagine them having one set for AFL games and a seperate Red set for SANFL games. As long as they stay Red at the Suburban grounds, then at least SA's footy heritage is being preserved:)

Just home from the SANFL GF... what a game... I'm gutted by the result, but by God it was good to get fired up and into a good old fashioned footy tussle. centrals were just too good: they managed a goal into the breeze in 3Q, whereas Norwood just failed to fire in the last quarter with the wind at their backs..Atmosphere was great(for an Aussie Rules game!), the weather and a well supported team appearing in their 1st Granny in yonks dragged a lot of 'hidden' Redlegs fans out of the woodwork it seems. Today for me was what SANFL footy is all about. If the SANFL can coninue to win the fight with the AFL to retain its individual identity, the upwards swing the league seems to have been on for the last decade could and should continue. Long may it prosper IMO.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:
yob wrote:Footy Park's posts are white, and not rectangular unlike the traditional SA posts. Thank Wayne Carey for that. And by the way I was right behind the post he hit in that incident and he fucken smashed it. Television truly takes the oomph out of the hits.
Footy Park's posts are white, thinking about it logically, I couldn't imagine them having one set for AFL games and a seperate Red set for SANFL games. As long as they stay Red at the Suburban grounds, then at least SA's footy heritage is being preserved:)

Just home from the SANFL GF... what a game... I'm gutted by the result, but by God it was good to get fired up and into a good old fashioned footy tussle. centrals were just too good: they managed a goal into the breeze in 3Q, whereas Norwood just failed to fire in the last quarter with the wind at their backs..Atmosphere was great(for an Aussie Rules game!), the weather and a well supported team appearing in their 1st Granny in yonks dragged a lot of 'hidden' Redlegs fans out of the woodwork it seems. Today for me was what SANFL footy is all about. If the SANFL can coninue to win the fight with the AFL to retain its individual identity, the upwards swing the league seems to have been on for the last decade could and should continue. Long may it prosper IMO.
Centrals supporters are the closest aussie rules gets to a soccer crowd.

U REDS
Silver

Post by U REDS »

SUNDAY
2010 SANFL Grand Final
Central District 10.11 (71)
Norwood 9.11 (65)
34,355 @ AAMI Stadium

Glenelg defeated West Adelaide for U-18 title, while Port won the Reserves premiership by beating Sturt.

Crowd numbers continue to hang high, insane finish to the season.

BTW the Dickens Tavern in Melbourne was showing it... as was the Royal Ex in Sydney, a pub in Balcatta WA and a sports club in Darwin.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Question for anyone who might know:
Q: I continue to hear whispers around the traps that the big-bad AFL is trying to get the SANFL to change its name to AFL-SA in line with the minor(footballing) northern states(eg: AFL-NSW, AFL-QLD, AFL-NT etc) and the AFL's continued homoginisation of the sport**even M.Rucci mentioned it in one of his Advertiser columns this last week. Is there any evidence to support this 'stated desire' by the AFL?

**the game is no longer Aussie Rules north of the Murray, it is simply referred to as AFL, analogous in my mind to changing the terminology from "who wants to play gridiron/American football this weekend?" to "who wants to play NFL this weekend?" Pretty sure I'd get killed if I tried to play an NCAA college game let alone an NFL game!;-)

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I'll boycott the code if they call the WAFL - AFL - WA

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Egan wrote:I'll boycott the code if they call the WAFL - AFL - WA
I'd consider Molotov cock-tailing AFL HQ if they re-named the SANFL as AFL-SA
rationally, I would never again attend an SANFL game, my 10 year membership at Norwood would cease to exist. Conspiracy theorist would have you believe that is why the AFL would do this..they want the VFL to be the undisputed #2 league, unless the rumoured AFL reserves comp appears, then VFL -> #3. AFLmagoos #2, AFL #1

As it stands I would say in terms of crowd numbers and media market share AFL#1, daylight #2, SANFL#3, WAFL#4.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

What is the name of the actual SA football board? Is it the SANFL or something else? Eg, in Victoria, it was Football Victoria, and the AFL forced them to change their name to AFL Victoria, however the name of the league "Victorian Football League" has remained unchanged. If in SA is all comes under the SANFL name, maybe change that to AFL-SA but leave the name of the actual league as the SANFL? Or the SAFL - I've always wondered why the word "National" appears in there(?).

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

cam wrote:What is the name of the actual SA football board? Is it the SANFL or something else? Eg, in Victoria, it was Football Victoria, and the AFL forced them to change their name to AFL Victoria, however the name of the league "Victorian Football League" has remained unchanged. If in SA is all comes under the SANFL name, maybe change that to AFL-SA but leave the name of the actual league as the SANFL? Or the SAFL - I've always wondered why the word "National" appears in there(?).
South Australian Football Commission oversees football in SA.

The N is an overhang from a generation old effort to nationalise the code. The WAFL was also once the WANFL. Quite frankly the only functional reason to keep it is it rolls off the tongue better - note, Victorians are the only people who pronounce it 'Sanfull.' We annunciate the letters individually. In Adelaide there's 5 brands that loosely fall in to 3 different categories. AFL is AFL. 'S-A-N-F-L' and 'local footy' is SANFL. 'Amateurs' and 'country footy' to describe amateur leagues.

And to further muddy the waters, top country footy players are generally better paid than SANFL players. It's basically a dog's breakfast, but the sum of all the parts lays a rank turd all over the WAFL.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

cam wrote:What is the name of the actual SA football board? Is it the SANFL or something else? Eg, in Victoria, it was Football Victoria, and the AFL forced them to change their name to AFL Victoria, however the name of the league "Victorian Football League" has remained unchanged. If in SA is all comes under the SANFL name, maybe change that to AFL-SA but leave the name of the actual league as the SANFL? Or the SAFL - I've always wondered why the word "National" appears in there(?).

Colloquially I've heard that the N for National appears because when the League was named, it was envisaged that Australian Football would be if it wasn't already, the National code, ie, the SA league plays the National brand of Football, not the SA League 'is' the National League. Its just one of those things that Sth Australians do differently(like fritz or stobie pole, or red point posts) - we like it like that. I hope that makes sense. that's what I grew up believing. BTW: it is pronounced with each letter, as S-A-N-F-L, it really grates my cheese to hear the occasional reference by usually Victorian commentators to the SAN-FUL, I see why they refer to the WAFL as the Waffle, but the SANFL has always been referred to in Adelaide as the S-A-N-F-L, but to me its as disrespectful as calling the SASR the Sass or the RAN as the rann. those organisations are all supposed to be referred to by their acronyms, not the word that those acronyms (almost) spell.
Last edited by Adelaide_United_Red on Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

snap yob!:)

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

We Sth Aussies called it SANFL to show that Aussie Rules was not a Victorian game, but Australia's national game. Just like we had the Song of Australia rather than Advance Australia Fair (the test of a true Sth Aussie). I hate it when ignorant northerners refer to AFL or Aussie Rules as the Victorian game. It's our game, too, & our clubs are just as old as, if not older than, St K & C/wood!