Australian Premier League 2011-12

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Jeffles
Platinum

Re: Australian Premier League 2011-12

Post by Jeffles »

If they want 31 games, you can have a full home and away series with the existing six teams. I think the expansion is about taking cricket to smaller cities that rarelyt see top cricket but get a lot of the winter codes.

I've not seen so much advertising for domestic cricket since the TV ads of the mid 1990s.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Well at the moment Domestic Twenty/20 is proving just as popular as International Twenty/20.

Pity, I despise the game.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Worth bumping this thread back up.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/ind ... 5944478712

Twenty20 Revolution
Australia's version of IPL will have eight teams
Two Sydney, two Melbourne, one Brisbane, one Perth, one Adelaide, one Hobart
Teams play each other twice before finals series
Tournament will be played over five weeks and will replace one-day games
Matches to be televised on Fox Sports and Nine and sold to India and other overseas networks
Starts January 2012 at all major city cricket grounds and possibly major regional areas
Gaps will be left in Australia's Test calendar to ensure all superstars will be available
Huge money will be offered by franchise owners to attract overseas stars
Sponsors will be offered naming rights of teams
Franchises will initially operate under a salary cap of between $2 million and $2.6 million

Will be interesting to see what they come up with. Although if it's half as big as what some people are predicting, then I can't see a Hobart team lasting long.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

Yep it's obvious to me what is needed in Cricket is 'more' money, cos the game isn't corrupted enough as it is:(
Summer is A-League season, won't be attending even if I snared one of the many free tix handed out like for last year's BigBash.
There is such a thing as too much cricket! I think we reached that point about 5 years ago.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:Yep it's obvious to me what is needed in Cricket is 'more' money, cos the game isn't corrupted enough as it is:(
Summer is A-League season, won't be attending even if I snared one of the many free tix handed out like for last year's BigBash.
There is such a thing as too much cricket! I think we reached that point about 5 years ago.
Summer is A-League season?!?! Actually football is a WINTER sport. Summer is for cricket. The only reason the A-League is played in the summer is that football is not strong enough to compete against the AFL/NRL in winter (and also to fit in with the Northern Hemisphere season). I think football seasons (of all codes) are getting far too long. Here are my thoughts:

AFL/NRL/RU to be played between April and September.
Domestic Sheffield Shield/One Dayers: October - November
International cricket (Tests/ODIs/T20): December - January
Domestic T20: February-March

That way all the international cricket players would be available for the domestic season (when was that last the case?). Obviously there are compromises on all sides, but that's usually required where competing interests come into conflict. Over time I suspect the One Day format will be dropped and we'll only have Test matches (and Shield games) and T20. And the T20 format won't be hugely popular at international level - it will be the domestic leagues that dominate that format of the game.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

Boba Fett wrote:
Adelaide_United_Red wrote:Yep it's obvious to me what is needed in Cricket is 'more' money, cos the game isn't corrupted enough as it is:(
Summer is A-League season?!?! <snipped>>
Here are my thoughts:

That way all the international cricket players would be available for the domestic season (when was that last the case?). Obviously there are compromises on all sides, <snipped>>.
Yes Summer is A-League Season. Has been for 6 years now, will be for the forseable future. I can't ever imagine football becoming strong enough to build its own stadia and go head to head with AFL/NRL in Winter.

Secondly, I just love how your 'compromise sports calendar' completely omits the world's largest sport..I've got 3 words for you and they rhyme with "truck you arsehole!" :tape: :tape:
Cricket is a dying sport IMO. It is over exposed and horribly compromised by the failure of the subcontinent to self police this over exposure and the unbelievable corruption in the game. If this new T20 doesn't make them money, CA will be in more sh*t than Batman.
At least when the old stuffy coats at Lords ran the game, for all of their failures they had the best interests of cricket(rather than their wallets) at heart.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:
Boba Fett wrote:
Summer is A-League season?!?! <snipped>>
Here are my thoughts:

That way all the international cricket players would be available for the domestic season (when was that last the case?). Obviously there are compromises on all sides, <snipped>>.
Yes Summer is A-League Season. Has been for 6 years now, will be for the forseable future. I can't ever imagine football becoming strong enough to build its own stadia and go head to head with AFL/NRL in Winter.

Secondly, I just love how your 'compromise sports calendar' completely omits the world's largest sport..I've got 3 words for you and they rhyme with "truck you arsehole!" :tape: :tape:
Cricket is a dying sport IMO. It is over exposed and horribly compromised by the failure of the subcontinent to self police this over exposure and the unbelievable corruption in the game. If this new T20 doesn't make them money, CA will be in more sh*t than Batman.
At least when the old stuffy coats at Lords ran the game, for all of their failures they had the best interests of cricket(rather than their wallets) at heart.
Now now, no need for name calling... :roll:

But, yes, I admit I did forget to include football. But whether it's the biggest sport in the rest of the world or not is irrelevant.It's certainly not exactly stuffing the stadiums with fans IN AUSTRALIA at the moment.

And the stuffy old coats at Lords did not have the best interests in cricket at all - they did what suited them and English cricket at the expense of the rest of the cricket playing world. Which is half the reason the game has the problems it does at the moment. Can't blame the sub-continent for all the game's woes.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Holy sh*t, someone feels a bit threatened.

Not that I think the new league is going to have much impact on A-League crowds, but it's obviously going to have an effect on media exposure for both them and the NBL. If it takes off.

broncos
Silver

Post by broncos »

Some of the numbers CA are touting are ridiculous. Franchises worth $60 million? I get that they're selling broadcast rights to India and Indian billionaires are looking to buy in, but it still doesn't make sense how the league could be valued that highly.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Rob wrote:Australia's version of IPL will have eight teams
Two Sydney, two Melbourne, one Brisbane, one Perth, one Adelaide, one Hobart
Any mention of home grounds?

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

The only interesting ones will be what the Sydney and Melbourne teams do, as the only legitimate places with a choice. I guess for a point of difference it would be good to have one each at the Dome, MCG, SCG and Olympic Stadium.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

From what i've read the 2nd Melbourne and Sydney teams are likely to be regional centres, probably Geelong and Newcastle. Not quite sure where a Newcastle team will play.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

The Newcastle Sports Ground used to be the main venue in town before Energy Australia Stadium. Hosted a Shield game last year but I don't think it has lights.

Good sized pitch, 20,000 capacity IMO.

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=186

timmers
Bronze
Location: Sydney's Hills, where public transport doesn't exist

Post by timmers »

You would think that ANZ Stadium will want to be a part of this, possibly the best opportunity they will get for a summer tenant, though I think it would be fantastic to watch a game or two out at Blacktown, only watched (and played) Aussie Rules there so far but I think it would be a fantastic venue to watch cricket at.

I wouldn't be surprised if they stick with 2 Sydney teams rather than a Newcastle one. Rob, where have you read that it will include regional teams?

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Just on various news stories. Can't be arsed looking them up now.

But i'd guess the end result will have a lot to do with where the private investors want the teams. If some Indian is prepared to cough up $30 million for a team at Homebush but only $10m for one at Newcastle, then it's a bit of a no brainer.