NRL 2010

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Jeffles
Platinum

Re: NRL 2010

Post by Jeffles »

He abandoned NSW. I don't expect anything less from him.

Monaghan resigns. Phil Kearns still employed by Fox Sports and Investec.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

So is the Kearns story hush hush because it's rugby or people aren't interested in older events before the social media revolution?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

His name has been supressed by some media outlets even though the UK Daily Telegraph named him in 2003. Don't know why he hasn't copped flak though.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

because there isn't a photograph of it doing the rounds?

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Mundine is a blight on the game of Rugby League. He really is.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

I've got serious doubts about this bloke Monaghan. I mean, he's devo because he has to leave Canberra, and his only real option is going to the UK and working for a few years?

That and the bit with the dog.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

The bidding for new licenses appears to be really heating up.
Central Coast Queensland have gotten a couple of big mining backers on board, and QR National has ditched its sponsorship of Qld Reds to support the Cattlemen (I think that is their name). While the state government has said it will build them a new $140 million stadium to seat 25,000 (aka Skilled Park mk 2)
Central Coast Bears have been around for a while, obviously to play out of Bluetongue Stadium. Backed presumably by Singleton and others.
Wellington Orcas (is that right?) playing out of Westpac Stadium and building the game in NZ.
Perth Reds solidly building their base over in the West with hosting games already at MES ect.
Another article I read even mentioned an Adelaide bid, where ever that has come from.
There has been talk of another SEQld team joining the fold as well, such as the Sunshine Coast or the Ipswich Jets, but I don't think that is much more advanced then talks. So Queensland will be behind the Qld Central Coast (Rockhampton)

Good choices for the game.
If they could get an existing Sydney team (Cronulla is the logical choice) to relocate to the Central Coast, then that could allow them to add two more teams from expanding regions. Which then comes down to a race between 3 you imagine (Adelaide doesn't appear to have much weight behind it apart from mentions in news articles). Or perhaps the NRL staggers and enters them all to expand by 4 teams over say 4 years from 2013.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Wellington is non-existent. I've read no reports saying there is anything but speculation.
Perth is keen but they do not have money behind them to my knowledge.
CQNRL might have population against them, although their PR machine is very good.
CCB have location against them though they have learned loads from the successful Titans bid and virtually copied it.
Adelaide you hear less than Wellington.
SEQ is always talked about but no proposal seems to be in the public eye, a bit like Wellington.

The TV contract is worth $83m p.a. It would have to go up to at least $100m p.a. for a team to come into the fold. That would mean $5m for the new team, an extra $500k for the 16 teams and an extra $4m for the administration side. If the NRL can get $100m p.a. they can persuade the clubs to add an extra team. If not, we stay with 16.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I think the NIB stadium redevelopment was part of the bid to get the NRL side to Perth.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

I heard that east perth may get another look in.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

the crow wrote:I heard that east perth may get another look in.
I think it makes sense in some ways...

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Steelers results released today. $245k net loss plus an $80k upward revaluation in the land and buildings. Worse result than last year, but last year included a one-off income item and a smaller grant to the Joint Venture and smaller expenditure on Illawarra rugby league. Net is arguably a better result. Some pokie tax relief and further improvement to operations could see the Steelers turn around further next year.

Most interesting bit is the fact that the financials reveal that the joint venture made a profit of $411k. That's after the grants from Saints Leagues (unknown yet - last year was $3.7m) and the Steelers ($309K), but it's still the first profit in a few years.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

http://img.nrl.sportal.com.au/site/_con ... source.pdf

Draw.

What dickhead decided that premiers vs preliminary finalists didn't deserve free to air in the first round of the competition?

Idiots.

EDIT: First home game of the season agains the Doggies on a Sunday afternoon. I'm hyped already. Full house for sure.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Damn they went with Broncos v Cowgirls on Friday Night. A-League Grand Final is the same weekend, really don't want the rugby boys running around on the surface the night before the GF (all potentially based around current ladder positions of course). I think we could potentially see a change in fixture there. (ie game moved to Sunday)

BDGS
Bronze

Post by BDGS »

beastjim wrote:Damn they went with Broncos v Cowgirls on Friday Night. A-League Grand Final is the same weekend, really don't want the rugby boys running around on the surface the night before the GF (all potentially based around current ladder positions of course). I think we could potentially see a change in fixture there. (ie game moved to Sunday)
Thank god for you that the Broncos and the Cowboys don't have any Rugby Players. I would be more worried about the Rugby League players.

Although in saying that the ground should be in tip top shape for the major tenants of the Stadium and not some poor cousin's grand final that won't even make top 50 most rated sports on TV.