Commonwealth Games better off due to Australian Football

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Egan wrote:
More so they don't want to spend money on stadia, rather believe they spent a lot on Hindmarsh only 9 years ago as well as wanting to put priorities in other areas. Thus they favour Adelaide Oval. The liberals are in chaos here. 36% approval to the Liberals, 64% to Labor. Interesting isn't it. The cost of Hindmarsh was the equivalent of 1.5km of light rail construction. Very small bickies really.

WA Government won't be spending $250 million on a World Cup Stadium, because then they would have to spend $400-500 million on an Australian Rules Football Stadium. A sport that has been waiting longer and has been selling out more often.

I would build the 65,000 major venue though. But you simply have to understand Gyfox, the Rectangular stadium being approved means the government has to satisfy Aussie Rules and spend more than that on upgrades of the worst AFL stadium...
I am quite politically astute Egan. The 65,000 stadium could suit both purposes but an upgrade to MES would also be required. The total cost does not need to be anywhere near the $1B the previous Government was prepared to pay.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Not saying you are not Gyfox

Labor just don't have any interest. Who can blame them when Adelaide United, despite all their success have had no increase in their crowd average over the last 4 seasons of the A-League...

Labor have said they wanted to run an election on a Hospital v a Stadium. They haven't put it as a priority.

They have prioritised other area's.

MES may still need to be upgraded with the 65,000 seat venue. But the capacity would not exceed 20,000.

But thats not happening. The Liberal Government run the show and I very much doubt that there will be any promises in regards to a rectangular stadium.

Especially with the WA Government delaying major projects...they are not about to commence new ones.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Egan wrote:
MES may still need to be upgraded with the 65,000 seat venue. But the capacity would not exceed 20,000.

But thats not happening. The Liberal Government run the show and I very much doubt that there will be any promises in regards to a rectangular stadium.

Especially with the WA Government delaying major projects...they are not about to commence new ones.
25,000 and we'll call it quits. :)

No doubt the WA Govt are considering their options behind closed doors.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Behind closed doors they may be discussing them...

But I have little faith or trust that they will make a good decision

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Egan wrote:Behind closed doors they may be discussing them...

But I have little faith or trust that they will make a good decision
Well, there is no way that they will want Rudd to look good in WA with a Federal election coming up next year so their response will take that into account.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

TBH I am not sure it is such a politically winning argument for WA taxpayers.

Conservative spending on health,education and crime will always win votes. Plus WA votes very differently at a state and federal level. \

Stephen Smith's Labor area was decimated by the Liberals at the last state election...

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

I have come to the conclusion that Gyfox & Egan are the same person. Or very closely related!

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

nobleoz wrote:I have come to the conclusion that Gyfox & Egan are the same person. Or very closely related!
Please NO!!!!!!

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Nobleoz...

Never met him my life.

Conspiracy theory out the door...

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Egan wrote:Nobleoz...

Never met him my life.

Conspiracy theory out the door...
The only thing similar is our opinion of Nines :lol:

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

That's very unhealthy!

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

gyfox wrote:The good burghers of Perth decided that they already had cricket and football stadia .
Please tell - what were these prize stadia that cricket and football possessed .

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

gyfox wrote:One last point Nines. You say that the stadium would have become the home of Australian football in WA if it was a little wider. The money spent provided a 30,000 capacity stadium. WAFL grand final crowds at the time were around 45,000, in fact only once since 1948 would the stadium have been big enough to hold the grand final crowd. It is quite clear that the WAFL wouldn't have wanted smaller crowds at their grand final and indeed quite a number of other finals and interstate games. The truth of the matter is that what you believe is that the money should have been spent upgrading Subiaco oval. ie AFL 1st, 2nd 3rd and all others go hang.
Perry Lakes was a 30k all seated capacity stadium .
Subiaco had a 50k standing capacity with two small stands .
The government could have build a useful stadium in a convenient location .
The government built a stadium in an inconvenient location that was never really used again .
The rent from an upgraded Subiaco would have paid for an athletics track many times over .
Perry Lakes is being demolished Not replaced .
They have built an athletics track with only a token stand .

If Perth were to get another Commonwealth Games there is absolutely no chance at all of it being a one off athletics stadium it will be a smaller version of the MCG or Homebush Stadium where the stadium can have a productive after life .

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Nines, I think... I love you

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

Egan wrote:Subiaco was a ground for football only up until 1996. And the Commonwealth Games was held in January - Cricket season.
Subiaco was used for football .
The WACA was used for football .
They could have put a track inside Subiaco temporarily just like the MCG and used the WACA temporarily just like when the government forced the AFL to play at the WACA when they installed lights there .
Not an issue .
I'm surprised they didn't turn the WACA into a super stadium like the MCG .