Cricket is better off because of Australian Football

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Hass
Bronze

Post by Hass »

I stopped reading after page three because the conversation had become inane.

Nines asked a very simple question. Nobody disagrees with the question posed. However we all know that there is an agenda behind the question and that answering yes will give Nines the chance to deliberately misinterpret people's opinions.

So yes - cricket in Australia has benefited from Australian Rules Football. But we don't like having our opinions reduced to yes or no. We want to clarify things ie. yes, but Aussie Rules has also benefited from cricket and there are some things about Aussie Rules that have left cricket worse off.

Heaven forbid we try to provide a more detailed answer - that just wouldn't suit Nines' agenda.

Hass
Bronze

Post by Hass »

I forgot to add...

Nines' crusade reminds me of the classic question: "Have you stopped beating your wife?"

Answer yes and you're admitting to being a wife beater, answer no and you're admitting to being a wife beater.

It's a trap not a question.

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

Hass wrote: So yes - cricket in Australia has benefited from Australian Rules Football. But we don't like having our opinions reduced to yes or no. We want to clarify things ie. yes, but Aussie Rules has also benefited from cricket and there are some things about Aussie Rules that have left cricket worse off.
Like addiction to money ?

Hass
Bronze

Post by Hass »

Nines wrote:
Hass wrote: So yes - cricket in Australia has benefited from Australian Rules Football. But we don't like having our opinions reduced to yes or no. We want to clarify things ie. yes, but Aussie Rules has also benefited from cricket and there are some things about Aussie Rules that have left cricket worse off.
Like addiction to money ?

I was thinking more like the encroachment into the cricket season. Once upon a time football didn't start until April. Now it kicks off in March (or even February). This eats into the cricket season, reducing interest and increasing the number of venue clashes (see this year's shield final).

Or the fact that most days of the Melbourne test take place in front of a half-empty stadium. The MCG has been both a positive and a negative for cricket - a lot of it depends on your outlook.

Or the fact that the MCG now has a drop-in pitch, which isn't ideal for cricket (as can be seen by some of the poor wickets there in recent times).

Look at what's happening to the Adelaide Oval. They're virtually destroying it in an attempt to attract top-class Aussie Rules back to the ground.

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

Hass wrote:
I was thinking more like the encroachment into the cricket season. Once upon a time football didn't start until April. Now it kicks off in March (or even February). This eats into the cricket season, reducing interest and increasing the number of venue clashes (see this year's shield final).
Yes , Australian Football has encroached on cricket .
Soccer and basketball is run in opposition to cricket nowadays.
AFL , NRL and S14 run in opposition to each other now .
Hass wrote: Or the fact that most days of the Melbourne test take place in front of a half-empty stadium. The MCG has been both a positive and a negative for cricket - a lot of it depends on your outlook.

Or the fact that the MCG now has a drop-in pitch, which isn't ideal for cricket (as can be seen by some of the poor wickets there in recent times).

Look at what's happening to the Adelaide Oval. They're virtually destroying it in an attempt to attract top-class Aussie Rules back to the ground.
Yes , cricket doesn't need the big stadiums as much as AFL and there is a push for more boutique cricket stadiums .
Hass wrote: Look at what's happening to the Adelaide Oval. They're virtually destroying it in an attempt to attract top-class Aussie Rules back to the ground.
Well obviously that's not Australian Football's fault .They have Westlakes stadium . By your own words cricket is doing the enticing .

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Yes , cricket doesn't need the big stadiums as much as AFL and there is a push for more boutique cricket stadiums .
Only in Perth...

Well obviously that's not Australian Football's fault .They have Westlakes stadium . By your own words cricket is doing the enticing .
Part of the lease agreement with the Adelaide City Council is that they have a facility that entices big events to the venue. They breach their leasing agreement if they don't.
I would like nothing better to have rational and interesting discussions on this board , but it's impossible with egan playing jis agenda games .
Out of all the posts Nines has made, what percentage would have 'egan's agenda' posted with it. Am I getting paid to have a particular agenda? What is the benefits of me having an agenda?

Have I spruked International Rules, altered rumours to suit your own agenda? Nope...

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

So Egan , you agree "cricket has benefited from the involvement of Australian Football"

:?:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Nines wrote:So Egan , you agree "cricket has benefited from the involvement of Australian Football"

Of course

Just as much as Australian Rules Football has benefited from the cricket. No more, no less. Both sports have made many venues what they are today...

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

i tell you what this site has SUFFERED because of this thread.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

the crow wrote:i tell you what this site has SUFFERED because of this thread.
:lol: :lol:

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

Egan wrote:
Nines wrote:So Egan , you agree "cricket has benefited from the involvement of Australian Football"

Of course
Hey egan I created this threrad so you wouldn't block main stream threads so how about using it !!!!!!!!!!!!

:(

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

This forum is not moderated. The topics come up and we talk about them.

Its part of austadiums to go on tangents...deal with it.

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

Egan wrote:This forum is not moderated. The topics come up and we talk about them.

Its part of austadiums to go on tangents...deal with it.
I am :lol:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Good

Because it is bound to not work...

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

the crow wrote:i tell you what this site has SUFFERED because of this thread.
Good to see you non cryptic for once .