Australian Rules In Tasmania

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Jeffles
Platinum

Australian Rules In Tasmania

Post by Jeffles »

I'm not quite as up to date on Aussie Rules in Tassie but I understand there are two senior comps in the state, one in the north and one in the south.

IS this ridiculous or what! I think that for the good of the code in Tassie they should merge the competitions. Dissolve the two current comps. Put the top teams from each comp in a "First Division" and put the rest in a "Second Division." You could then have a promotion and relegation system. This would see the cream of the states players in a tougher comp because it draws on talent from across the WHOLE state. Also, with promotion and relegation, it gives all existing clubs the chance to play in the top flight.

The state isn't a very big one so I don't think travel is much of an issue. I'm guessing that it is a political reason why they have two comps (ala Cricket in Tassie and Soccer in NSW).

What do you guys think?

tailz
Bronze

Post by tailz »

this is probably a question you should direct towards m colla, he's the resident tasmanian. it probably would make more sense combining the better of the two leagues and having a division one and two. maybe there is rivallary between the two halves. who knows. btw i like your signature, it's funny cos it's true.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

They used to have a whole-state competition, however it collapsed i think because of financial problems. This year, or maybe last, was the first year that the two league were introduced rather than the one league. Now the main focus of Tasmanian Football (apart from the AFL games played at York Park) is the Tasmanian Devils FC who play in the Victorian Football League, they regularly attract good crowds, I think they averaged almost 6,000 per game last season.

marcus
Bronze

Post by marcus »

Last edited by marcus on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Thanks for the info Marcus. And welcome back. Do the winners of each league play in a State Championship. If not, I reckon that would be a top idea. Or maybe an All-Star game. Something to draw Tassie's footy community together (cos an AFL team is unlikely and the VFL is a foreign comp). It would also add to their North-South rivalry.

marcus
Bronze

Post by marcus »

Last edited by marcus on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Last edited by yob on Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.