Australian Rules Football in Queensland

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
yob
Platinum

Re: AFL in Queensland

Post by yob »

Simmo79 wrote:It's an amazing and really unique PR strategy.
Rool unooque.

Get it right.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

I love "Gold Coast Gary" :P

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

i don't think any of us are surprised by that.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

GC Suns announce 1st uncontracted player signing tomorrow.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

No surprises with Nathan Bock and Nathan Krakouer announced. Krakouer doesn't even count as one of the ones they can steel from an AFL Club.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

All I'm seeing with Gold Coast is they're going to absolutely f**k up dreamteam next year.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

You thinking they will be roadkill, and that anyone playing them will rack up the points? Or you talking about the Bye, which stuffs up any dreamteam if you have a number of players from a certain team? I've already given up on A-League fantasy because of the stupid bye.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

The bye.

What a disaster.

Gold Coast Doughnuts. f**k them already.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Yeah fair enough.

On a side note, AFL Queensland are moving into their brand new headquarters over at Yeronga over the weekend. They are moving out of Coorparoo because the Lions are looking to train less at the Gabba apparently, with some overflow staff moving into the offices as well.

Nearmap link if you particularly care. Ovals should be done by the end of the year, ready for next season.
http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-27.50786,15 ... d=20100821

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

Cam Brown to the Suns......what a surprise!

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Membership hit 10k already.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Interesting to see how many members ablett is worth when they announce it.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

That must surely be a record for establishing a new club?

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

I doubt it, the Crows got 45,000 to their first practice match and would have had a pretty high membership in their first year. Port's membership was high as well, although it's been all downhill from there. Freo had about 18k members in their first year from memory.

I reckon if you asked the AFL a year ago, they would have been happy with 10k members for the GC, now it's likely they'll get 15k+. Admittedly, the membership price this year is only about $50, but there's no reason you'd become a member this year unless you wanted a seat next year.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Rob wrote:I doubt it, the Crows got 45,000 to their first practice match and would have had a pretty high membership in their first year. Port's membership was high as well, although it's been all downhill from there. Freo had about 18k members in their first year from memory.

I reckon if you asked the AFL a year ago, they would have been happy with 10k members for the GC, now it's likely they'll get 15k+. Admittedly, the membership price this year is only about $50, but there's no reason you'd become a member this year unless you wanted a seat next year.
Yep and the Force's membership was 25,000 year one and do not have the lowest crowds in their super 14.

AFL are spending oodles more on the Gold coast and will get less members for the Force. (This is directed at the AFL evangelicals).

I want to see how many are season ticket holders and many may become members but not season ticket holders.

Regardless its a good effort and shows what could have happened had Palmer decided to put similar resources in establishing the side on the coast.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Egan, outside Victoria members are season ticket holders. It's only in Melbourne where clubs sell bullshit membership packages with access to a couple of games so they count in the official AFL figures. For instance, Sydney don't pretend that their 3 game superpass for Homebush games is a membership. Hawthorn call their comparable package for it's Launceston games a 'membership' and therefore believe that their penis size increases by 3 inches.