AIHL 2007

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
jemo27
Bronze

Post by jemo27 »

any update on stadium at docklands, oakliegh is just to far to get to from bendigo

Saints-Premiers
Silver

Post by Saints-Premiers »

Probably still haven't started it. Remember, they're building it on top of a carpark, so that has to be built first.

Melbourne beat Sydney on shootouts which i missed because I had to get to the train station because my folks got stuck because someone jumped in front of their train on the way back from the footy. Anyway a shocking injury to a sydney player. Basically he fell and the melbourne player fell on top and they were sliding along the ice. The melbourne player got up, the sydney player didn't. The game was stopped for a about 15mins until he started to move and ambo's came. I was scared a blade of a skate may have hit his face.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I'm considering a trip to the Penrith Ice Palace to watch the Bears play Canberra Knights this Saturday. If I go, I'll try to take some pics.

jemo27
Bronze

Post by jemo27 »

i saw on a 1611XX radio website that it says the AIHl is expanding in 2008

Saints-Premiers
Silver

Post by Saints-Premiers »

Where to do we reckon?

Sydney would want another team since the Bears moved to Penrith. Maybe WA or Gold Coast

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I couldn't see them moving across the nullabor. Gold Coast could be a possible venture.

I reckon Sydney would top the list.

paul
Bronze

Post by paul »

Egan wrote:I couldn't see them moving across the nullabor. Gold Coast could be a possible venture.

I reckon Sydney would top the list.
The Brisbane Blue Tongues have caught the Gold Coast bug and relocated there for 2008.

http://www.bluetongues.com.au/

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

paul wrote:
I reckon Sydney would top the list.The Brisbane Blue Tongues have caught the Gold Coast bug and relocated there for 2008.

http://www.bluetongues.com.au/
Gold Coast seems to be a distinctively different sporting town then Brisbane. From the brief exposure, the locals will support anything with the Gold Coast in front of them (other then the National Rugby Competition)

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Last week Newcastle hosted the Division II, Pool B Ice Hockey World Championships. Division II for countries ranks 29-40 in the world and is split into 2 pools. Australia won the Pool B Champs where they were undefeated in all 5 pool games.

Results and standings here: http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/136/IHM136Z299_76A_19_0.pdf

Stats (including crowd averages) here: http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/136/IHM136900_84_1_0.pdf

Egan
Platinum

Re: AIHL 2007

Post by Egan »

A bit of a bump.

But was watching Channel 10 and apparently Perth are going to be entered into the AIHL next season. They meet all the criteria and they beat Adelaide a few weeks ago.

However if there main base is the Cockburn Ice Arena, they would be stupid not to call themselves Fremantle...

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

So it turns out the AIHL is on fox sports. God bless cable television.

From the looks of things this league is a watchable standard. Not enough mungrel though.

I'm surprised by the size of the crowd for Melbourne V Mustangs (whoever they are). Could be close to 1,000. That's like, almost half the size of a roller derby crowd in Tuggeranong.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Yeah, went to Melbourne in February and mate said the Melbourne team is building a bigger venue because it sells out their venue every week.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »