20,000 South Africans to play aussie rules by 2010

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
gyfox
Platinum

Re: 20,000 South Africans to play aussie rules by 2010

Post by gyfox »

Nines wrote:
gyfox wrote:They must be very worried .
I didn't know this was the fight club.
I'm very happy with the way Australian Football is developing overseas because I find Australian Football the best.
Australian Football being an Australian game is a bonus.
I don't see why more Australians be more positive for this fact alone.
Naturally other people think their sport is the best.
But do other people expect Australian Football supporters to support other Australian football teams
when those football teams' supporters are constantly bagging the uniquely Australian game of football.?
Feel free to follow the Victorian game. It doesn't worry me one bit. But as a New South Welshman please don't try to tell me it is my country's game because it isn't.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Nines wrote: Australian Football being an Australian game is a bonus.
Probably similar reasons to why Australians prefer to drive Mazda's or watch non-Australian sitcoms instead of 'Hey Dad'

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

bazza wrote:
Nines wrote: Australian Football being an Australian game is a bonus.
Probably similar reasons to why Australians prefer to drive Mazda's or watch non-Australian sitcoms instead of 'Hey Dad'
Not big on pedos

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

I put down Australians who buy Holdens because they're sh*t

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

how close are we to getting a supporting rugby league is "un-a certain phrase we won't use"?

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Nines wrote:
I'm not talking about preferences. In fact most Australians prefer Australian Football.
23 million people in Australia. 4m watched the AFL grand final. Checks out.

Nines wrote: It's just hiliarous that some people bag the Australian game (which is their right) but then hypocritically expect Australians to support Australia in their foreign code.
I forgot to ask in the cricket thread, how do you reckon we'll go in the Ashes?

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Simmo79 wrote:
Nines wrote:
I'm not talking about preferences. In fact most Australians prefer Australian Football.
23 million people in Australia. 4m watched the AFL grand final. Checks out.

Nines wrote: It's just hiliarous that some people bag the Australian game (which is their right) but then hypocritically expect Australians to support Australia in their foreign code.
I forgot to ask in the cricket thread, how do you reckon we'll go in the Ashes?
ABS stats. 57% of Australians don't attend sport and 43% do. AFL accounts for 16% and the other 27% attend other sports. 16 out of 100 ties in pretty well with 4 out of 23.

The real hypocrisy is that the Vics wimped out of trying to establish their game in the Sydney market for 75 years and now want everyone there to consider their game "the Australian game".

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

It's still VFL to me.

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

yob wrote:I put down Australians who buy Holdens because they're sh*t
Unusual for a German car.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Nines wrote:WTF is the problem with people to simply acknowledge that we have an Australian game.
Because it involves following circular logic that's premised upon that game being German and not sh*t?

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Nines wrote:
gyfox wrote:ABS stats. 57% of Australians don't attend sport and 43% do. AFL accounts for 16% and the other 27% attend other sports.
So over half the people who ATTEND sport attend AFL.
Does that account for Australian Football in general?
So thank you for ao quite distinctly showing that Australian Football is indeed so popular in Australia.
gyfox wrote:The real hypocrisy is that the Vics wimped out of trying to establish their game in the Sydney market for 75 years and now want everyone there to consider their game "the Australian game".
Well last I heard Victorians were considered Australians just like the two New South Welshmen who fundamentally started the game.
Australian Football leagues exist in across Australia.
WTF is the problem with people to simply acknowledge that we have an Australian game. Doesn't mean you have to like it, just the simple and factual acknowledgement that we do have an Australian game just like the Irish and Americans acknowledge that they have indigenous games.
I'm guessing mathematics isn't your strong point. The last time I checked 27 was a bigger number than 16.

There are four games invented in Australia that I know of with AFL being the second largest of these based on number of players. This being the case why is AFL "the Australian game"?

I'm not going to bother with a full history lesson but I'll just point out to you that the claim of being "the Australian game" had its genesis late in the Nineteenth Century and is not at all an innocent term. At the time the administrators of the Victorian game were trying to displace Rugby which was played in Sydney with their invention. They claimed that it was unAustralian not to play their game and the term "foreign game" was introduced to the conversation. This was not received well in Sydney but the ability to earn money from the Victorian game was attractive to players and the game gained some popularity until Rugby League, where players could be paid, came to Sydney. Very quickly Rugby League, a variant of their preferred Rugby, took over and the Victorian game with its unacceptable inferences to Sydneysiders was dispatched post haste and effectively wasn't seen there for another 75 years. The current use of "the Australian game" and "foreign code" are not without a similar arrogant intent with an inherent meaning of superiority based not on the game but on its place of invention. Every time AFL and its proponents use them they insult the people they seek to win over by the claim. You would think that after 100 years of virtual irrelevance in the largest state in the country they would have learnt, but no, the fools continue on their merry way.

EDIT. I thought it ought to be said that the way the the Swans approached their establishment in the Sydney market did not show any of the arrogance that is so evident in the AFL in recent times.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Circular logic. Round and round we go. More people attend AFL than soccer, more people play soccer than league, therefore league is weak in nsw, therefore aussie rules is the national sport.

Fetch this man an indefinite article, and see to his proper nouns.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Nines wrote:
By your own figures more than half the number of Australians who attend sport attend AFL.
As I said, mathematics is obviously not a strength of yours. The numbers do not say that at all. The result of this is the "argument" you set out is based on an untruth which makes any points you make tenuous without considering the "logic" you use to make them.

No one would disagree that AFL is the biggest sport in the country but the initial point you made in your first post was that most Australians prefer AFL which all the figures show is not true.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

who does that besides a few strawmen?

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

I'm awestruck by the sheer stupid.