20,000 South Africans to play aussie rules by 2010

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
dibo
Gold

Re: 20,000 South Africans to play aussie rules by 2010

Post by dibo »

Nines wrote:As usual the usual suspects want to deny the figures rather than discuss the implications.
You haven't actually provided any independently confirmed figures. We've just got rubbery numbers with words like "up to" and "as many as" around them. The solid figures we've got are from 5 years ago and they have you miles away from the target.

Moving the target to 40,000 in no way shows you've met the 20,000 figure, and there's nothing else that backs it up either.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

There you go again, denying the figures without discussing the implications. Why do you keep refusing to debate this?

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Simmo79 wrote:Image

If anyone can photoshop, can we put our avatars on the line-up? We could have Totti's face, Dibo's actual face, my girl's arse, and Yob's something.
My something happens to be Meatloaf "rocking" the AFL grand final entertainment.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

You can deflect like a champion. Of those 7 strawmen you've picked out of your arse, I reckon "They'll never get a crowd to AFL matches overseas" is the strawiest.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Nines wrote:
Simmo79 wrote: if you want people to take your claims seriously .
I expect rl fans to keep their heads in the sand.
I still remember them saying.
"They'll never be a national AR team in Sydney".
"They'll never be an AFL team in Brisbane".
"They'll never be an AFL team in the GC".
"They'll never be a second AFL team in Sydney".
"They'll never get a crowd to AFL matches overseas".
"They'll never get a player from overseas to play in the AFL".
"They'll never play AR overseas".
Uh huh. So where is some reliable data to show there are >20,000 Australian rules footy players in SA?

Go on Nines, pull my head out of the sand and hit me with numbers.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

A few things.

The "They said there'll never be [something that has happened without controversy]" is the kind of lazy polemic we're used to hearing from cable network "news". It can't be argued with because it's practically a non-argument.

I chose "They'll never get a crowd to AFL matches overseas" as the strawiest because it's a proposition that so easy to defeat. You can defeat by playing a game anywhere else in the world and if literally 3 people* turn up, it's been defeated and the AFL's triumphant march across the globe continues apace.

* why 3 people? Because two's company and... I'll be here all week.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Nines wrote:
cos789 wrote:South Africa a hunting ground for GWS recruiters as code takes off
Daniel Lane
March 28, 2010

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/sout ... z1kNvsD915

SOUTH AFRICA has emerged as a new source of AFL playing talent with revelations there are 20,000 registered players across four provinces in the republic's booming Aussie rules competition.

GWS manager Graeme ''Gubby'' Allan will follow the Australian Institute of Sport under-17s' team tour of South Africa later this month and while he will closely monitor the Aussie players as potential recruits he'll also keep tabs on the locals.

His team signed 19-year-old South African Bayanda Sobetwa in February and the club's high-performance manager, Alan McConnell, said there were high hopes for him.

''He's a tall, lean athletic type,'' said McConnell of the teenager who played for South Africa against the AIS/AFL team in 2008-09 and in the South African team that finished third in the 2008 International Cup.

''He's coming off a low base in terms of his knowledge and experience but the speed in which he's picked the game up is really very exciting. Bayanda is the best of the players in his area but one would hope we'd be able to accelerate that learning and development at a rapid rate once he trains on a regular basis with those who regularly play the game.''

McConnell said the rise of AFL throughout South Africa should not be seen as a surprise.

''They're very receptive to what we're trying to do over there,'' he said of the South Africans. ''Kids there see this as an opportunity and they're grabbing it with both hands. Socially, they come to AFL with a very optimistic approach to what we are doing.''

Aussie rules was first introduced to South Africa in 1899 by Australian soldiers fighting in the Boer War. By 1901 there were 20 clubs, but the spread of the game was curtailed by the outbreak of World War I.

When the South African league aligned itself with the AFL in 2006 it enjoyed a rapid development and growth. Some of the interest came from unexpected quarters, with the South African government announcing in 2007 that AFL would be introduced into some prisons to help rehabilitate inmates.

McConnell said AFL appealed to both major races.

''Traditionally sports in South Africa were attached to race,'' he said. ''Cricket and rugby was the whites, soccer the blacks. But AFL appeals to both.''

The AFL has injected $400,000 a year for the past five years and also sent representative teams, including the Flying Boomerangs, a squad of 25 indigenous teenagers headed by former Sydney Swans star Michael O'Loughlin, on tours.

A number of AFL teams have had pre-season training camps in South Africa, with players conducting coaching clinics.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/sout ... -r3zk.html
$400,000! To get less than 4,000 registered players? Fark, what a waste.

And for what? It's not going to take off overseas and become a global behemoth, it's going to be a curiosity like ultimate frisbee, underwater hockey and tractor pulling, shown on the local equivalent of Wide World of Sports for shits and giggles but never getting a foothold in the wider consciousness.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

34,000 kids play Rugby League in Victoria.

http://forums.rleague.com/posts/showthr ... gby-League

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

dibo wrote:By that wiki article, in 2008 there were 3,800 actual players, and 4,000 kids went to skills clinics.

That's a pretty sorry effort for all the noise that gets made, and makes the 20,000 target look ridiculous, let alone 40,000.

Meanwhile, football in South Africa has 1.5 million registered players.
You want a lot of noise for a pretty sorry effort? read this thread:

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/01/12/af ... n-growing/

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Oh the farkin LOLZ.

I have a fair bit to do with a local football association *whistles* and we've got close to 200 senior teams and over 3,000 senior players. And we're one of the smallest of the *15* associations in Sydney.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Nines wrote:
Nines wrote:
Simmo79 wrote:A few things.

The "They said there'll never be [something that has happened without controversy]" is the kind of lazy polemic we're used to hearing from cable network "news". It can't be argued with because it's practically a non-argument.

I chose "They'll never get a crowd to AFL matches overseas" as the strawiest because it's a proposition that so easy to defeat. You can defeat by playing a game anywhere else in the world and if literally 3 people* turn up, it's been defeated and the AFL's triumphant march across the globe continues apace.

* why 3 people? Because two's company and... I'll be here all week.
That's exactly why I asked you to set the criteria.

Waiting , waiting
While you're waiting, how about you answer my query, and set me straight for good:
dibo wrote:So where is some reliable data to show there are >20,000 Australian rules footy players in SA?

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Criteria for what? Actual numbers of Saffers into Roolz? Easy: SA govt stats from their equivalent of the ABS

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

dibo wrote:$400,000! To get less than 4,000 registered players? Fark, what a waste.
No kidding. All football needs is a decent war on, and there's another 10,000 football playing refos for free.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Nines doesn't give facts...

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

yob wrote:
dibo wrote:$400,000! To get less than 4,000 registered players? Fark, what a waste.
No kidding. All football needs is a decent war on, and there's another 10,000 football playing refos for free.
With all the Tamils coming by boat our cricket stocks are getting a nice boost too