20,000 South Africans to play aussie rules by 2010

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Simmo79
Platinum

Re: 20,000 South Africans to play aussie rules by 2010

Post by Simmo79 »

*sniff* this is my favourite thread :D . Nines, you have the worst critical thinking skills of all the people on this forum. Your ability to regurgitate unsubstantiated propaganda is matched only by your ability to ignore contrary sources.

I doff my cap to thee

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Why do they play a modified code on RU grounds when there's an abundance of cricket grounds? Because the groundskeepers don't want studs on the pitch during winter? Shows how important the code is right there.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

yob wrote:From the AFL South Africa wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian ... uth_Africa
The funniest thing about that wiki article is that every single source for the information contained therein is Australian. Here's a hint for Nines: if you want people to take your claims seriously you need sources that can't be traced back to the evangelists working in the AFL's PR department. For example, if you want people to believe that Aussie Rules is making inroads in South Africa, a South African source has actual credibility.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Simmo79 wrote:The funniest thing about that wiki article is that every single source for the information contained therein is Australian. Here's a hint for Nines: if you want people to take your claims seriously you need sources that can't be traced back to the evangelists working in the AFL's PR department.
Now wait up there pal, those participation stats on the page were sourced from me last night when I was drunk and having a laugh editing the page.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

:lol:

A hard fought 90 point win over the "South Pacific." Geez when you put it like that New Zealand sounds like half the globe. That's a lot of water the AFL is taking over.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

There may be 20,000 kids that have tried these skills clinics, but does that constitute active participation in the sport? On a very low level, it might. Should that be equated with the notion of 20,000 playing the actual game? No way.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

By that wiki article, in 2008 there were 3,800 actual players, and 4,000 kids went to skills clinics.

That's a pretty sorry effort for all the noise that gets made, and makes the 20,000 target look ridiculous, let alone 40,000.

Meanwhile, football in South Africa has 1.5 million registered players.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

^ If they fail in their propaganda in Sydney to get kids to play Aussie Rules, they will fail in South Africa.

They haven't even been able to work out how they get more kids playing the game in Sydney yet, but the Evangelicism knows no boundaries!

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I don't think that's very good reasoning. There's dozens of adult teams in Sydney and that has come after massive investment was made to biuld on 110 years of competition.

As dibo say, it pales in comparison to other sports, just like figures for the rugby codes do in Victoria, SA and WA. If you can choose the sport you want to play weithout impediment, that's fine. But that doesn't mean you should be uncritical of press releases etc such as this. A Pommy bloke called Dave Southern started RL clinics in South Africa in the 1990s and by all reports got thousands of black kids there. He didn't have overseas funding and eventually stopped. No different to what the AFL has here, except for the funding.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Jeffles wrote:I don't think that's very good reasoning. There's dozens of adult teams in Sydney and that has come after massive investment was made to biuld on 110 years of competition.

As dibo say, it pales in comparison to other sports, just like figures for the rugby codes do in Victoria, SA and WA. If you can choose the sport you want to play weithout impediment, that's fine. But that doesn't mean you should be uncritical of press releases etc such as this. A Pommy bloke called Dave Southern started RL clinics in South Africa in the 1990s and by all reports got thousands of black kids there. He didn't have overseas funding and eventually stopped. No different to what the AFL has here, except for the funding.
Keeping players in the game, getting players playing at good enough standard to make AFL lists, giving kids money to play the game and help to get better that kids in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth would only dream about (the failure of the communist model) reflects total failure.

The Force put in a local Western Australian into the lineup after only a few yers, with no ARU funding anything like the AFL funding that is being spent in Sydney.

They are going to put an AFL game in NZ next year and have virtually decided that they will keep pumping good money after bad into Sydney, when the payoffs are wanking over 1-2 Sydney Swans players that have come out of the Sydney basin.

As I said the model of attraction has not worked in other 'foreign' territories in Australia, if they haven't worked out a good model for Sydney. God help them in making positive inroads into other parts of the world.

But I agree with critically examining press releases, but Nines would/should have worked out that this forum has been doing that for about 10 years now...

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Nines wrote:4 provinces, 28 senior clubs , 20,000 players minium .

laughs on you.

I notice you didn't post the rest of the link.
So each club has a bit over 700 players

That would be enough for each club to run at least 28 regular AFL size teams
Since they don't play Victorian Rules using the same number of players as the AFL they could run even more

Those figures would mean that each club would run 2 teams in each age group from under 6 to under 18 and 2 teams at senior level.

Impressive

I wonder how many Victorian rules clubs in Victoria can boast that many teams/players

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

*a hint for Nines, there might be a little bit of sarcasm in the above post*

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

yob wrote:
Simmo79 wrote:The funniest thing about that wiki article is that every single source for the information contained therein is Australian. Here's a hint for Nines: if you want people to take your claims seriously you need sources that can't be traced back to the evangelists working in the AFL's PR department.
Now wait up there pal, those participation stats on the page were sourced from me last night when I was drunk and having a laugh editing the page.
:wink: Well I wonder how long it will be before there are over 100,000 genuine, bona fide, in-no-way-made-up Aussie Rules players in South Africa?

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Simmo79 wrote:
yob wrote:
:wink: Well I wonder how long it will be before there are over 100,000 genuine, bona fide, in-no-way-made-up Aussie Rules players in South Africa?
I note with disappointment your decision to eschew the traditional South African terms "dinki-di" and "fair dinkum" in favour of that effete Latin term "bona fide". Nobody who uses the words "bona fide" has even seen a good hip'n'shoulder let alone been on the receiving end, got straight up and decked the prick.

For shame.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

If anyone can photoshop, can we put our avatars on the line-up? We could have Totti's face, Dibo's actual face, my girl's arse, and Yob's something.