Why I hate Rugby Union

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Misty Bee
Bronze

Post by Misty Bee »

No, it was a great day, Australia 18, GB 10. Another Ashes whitewash!

And 2 League players scored tries in the other WCF.

can't complain about that!

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

It was a great final. It had all the features of great rugby, kicking, running,passing,rucks,mauls,scrums and it lead to both tries, goals and penalties.
Of course according to many australians, not least the press, this must have been a poor final, since it wasnt all about running. If you want basketball-rugby with easy tries, fine, play that, but keep it out of real rugby.

The final also had the right winner, England had most of the possesion, and most of the game were in australia´s half.
They were also very close to scoring further tries only to let the ball slip, and of course they were up against the ref as well, and of course playing away from home. totally deserved. To say its all about Wilkinson is basically an insult to the game of rugby, but it was fantastic the way he kept his cool and scored that last goal with his weaker foot!

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

Yes Egan, I guess, I could be english, certainly admire the country, but on the other hand,

med hensyn til svensk rugby, så er det næppe godt nok til at kvalificere sig til det næste vm. Holdet ligger faktisk ikke engang i divisionen lige under 6-nationers turneringen,men endnu længere nede, så en række bedre hold skal slåes for at nå til slutrunden. Om det er helt utænkeligt, eller om der er en ganske lille chance, det ved jeg faktisk ikke. det er en ganske lille sport, der ikke levnes meget plads i aviserne. det spilles af et par tusinde, hvilket er mere en fx amerikansk fodbold, der alligevel af forskelige årsager får mere dækning.

or in english..
neither sweden or Denmark will qualify for the next world cup. they arent even in the division below the 6-nations but further down. To be honest, I dont know whether there is absolutely no chance of qualifying or a very small chance. its a very small sport, results are in the papers, but no score breakdown as nobody really understands that. Its played by a few thousand in each country, which actually beats new sports such as american football, which get a lot more coverage for various reasons.

Denmark may qualify for the slog-cricket world cup, though, only Holland are better in europe. Both these countries have one ground with a grass wicket and play in the english one day cup without ever having beaten a pro county.

Misty Bee
Bronze

Post by Misty Bee »

Swede, that "basketball Rugby' that you refer to supplied coaching advisers and topline players to just about every major team. Clearly, they needed the skills and techniques of League to try and gain an advantage.

And when was the last time a test league nation relied on RU skills coaches?

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

Misty, "basketball rugby" refered to not only League, but also those that want all union games to have loads of easy tries.

I have also never questioned, that League can develope good players and coaches, that would be silly.
If rugby union is cricket,League is batting practice, thats how I see it, and therefore good players can bring their special talents to union, whereas it would be strange to go the opposite way for someone broader skilled.

Misty Bee
Bronze

Post by Misty Bee »

Broader skilled? Union?????

Lets start with the skill of tackling. Then the skill of offloading. Then the skill of fitness (not the once around the oval and then off to the club for a feed ofpies training that Union forwards seem to have).

face it, tries are more exciting than seeing endless penalties.

And your comment about Australians are too acustomed to liking running rugby to appreciate Union, you are probably right. Union, is walking, or stopped rugby. Even Wendell Sailor, who after 20 or so Origins for QLD without a try in any, is prolific with the Wobblies. Is the reason we kept seeing Wendell score a union try really a message to kiddies that "in Union, ANYONE can score a try" Paradoxically, rather than adopt the onerous task of 'running' (too hard for the fat and slow), it's easier to kick goals. Hence the points for goals and even field goals are higher than they should be!

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Re: Why I hate Rugby Union

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Can we keep this one as reward for the epic thread bump?

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

WHAT ARE YOU SELLING???

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

Must be a slow day with rl people attacking RU

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

Mods shouldn't allow a thread title like this .

where's egan ?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Cam is no match for 116 years of animosity.

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

Jeffles wrote:Cam is no match for 116 years of animosity.
I guess I should expect a "why I hate AFL" from egan .

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Jeffles wrote:Cam is no match for 116 years of animosity.
:lol: