Pro Gridiron League in Australia

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
wesfolk
Bronze

Pro Gridiron League in Australia

Post by wesfolk »

Just a quick inquiry to see if there is any info out there about Gridiron being taken to the next level of evolution? Naturally that would be pro. There are a number of teams playing in the several state leagues, but can the game be sustainable as a pro format. As this website makes abundantly clear there are a number of venues available. All stadiums need revenue and a pro gridiron team would bring 7-8 home games per year generating rent and enhancing corporate and hospitality packages currently offered. Some people tried to start up the eight team "Asia Pacific Football League" a couple of years ago then abandoned the exercise and ceased operations. Is there room for pro gridiron in Australia or is the inate value of Footy too strong??

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I have been to an Aussie gridiron match. I went to the Waratah Bowl 2000 (NSW competition final). They was 500 people there at the most and entry was free.

I also went to the American Bowl at Stadium Australia on August 8 2000. It drew around 70000 fans. I think most of them were curious spectators who COULD become fans. BUT NFL ventures outside the USA are very shaky. NFL Europe is a gridiron competition for about 8 teams across Europe. It is part feeder comp to the NFL. All players pretty much are Yanks. They draw crowds of less than 20000 for normal games but their grand final usually sells out. They are also heavily subsidised by the NFL itself.

I love gridiron but even I know it is a very shite spectator sport watching it at a stadium. Too many breaks. It relies on TV who can make up for this with commentary, reply and commercials. I doubt Aust. can get that a pro league. 1 TEAM in an Asia-wide league, heavily backed by the NFL ala NFL Europe is the est hope for a pro gridiron team in Aust. Good post Wesfolk.

marcus
Bronze

Post by marcus »

Last edited by marcus on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

tailz
Bronze

Post by tailz »

i don't know how anyone can follow what is going in this sport, it just doesn't seem to make any sense. i don't think an australian league would work because there is already 3 major football codes.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

With a multitude of football codes already in Australia, I think the best option is to keep doing the American Bowl as a pre-season warm-up game for various NFL teams. Or, maybe sometime down the track, they could bring the Super Bowl down under (although it would have to be in an air-conditioned indoor arena like Telstra Dome or Stadium- probably the only options). Highly unlikely, but should be looked at. :D :D :D

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

I live in fear that the entire world will eventually succumb to the american cultural virus. They can keep their stinking superbowl.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

Our acceptance of American culture (NFL is one form) need not be seen as a virus. It is what we make of it. And just remember that they have Steve Irwin in their face every 5 minutes- and they still don't get us properly. So we can't really complain, can we??? :?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Hmm i think the most they would ever get to a game would be about 2,500 it would be full of expats and the best place for Gridiron would Be Canberra with the US Embassy their id imagine all their families would love to go to a griiron match in Canberra and the Canada Embassy i think Canberra would get the leagues highest attendances, now thats a change

Wesfolk2

Gridiron-Pro league

Post by Wesfolk2 »

With my original post I was questioning a minor-pro or semi-pro league in Australia. NOT an American based team playing there. Lets look at it in economic terms. Sydney and area is the highest concentration of people, so a great place to start. Also Canberra is a natural with both the U.S.A. and Canadian embassies there. So it would look something like this:
Southern Conference
Canberra ACTion- Canberra Stadium
Parramatta Panthers- Parramatta Stadium
Wollongong Dolphins- Brandon Park or WIN Stadium
Campbelltown Lions- Campbelltown Stadium
Northern Conference
Newcastle Breakers- Breakers Stadium
Gosford Seahawks- North Power Stadium
West Sydney Wildcats- Leichardt Oval
Penrith Pirates- Penrith Stadium
Format
8 teams means 14 games in schedule. 7 home. 7 away. Plus a pre-season Inter squad game as an 8th home date.
4 teams make the playoffs with a Championship Game played at a league selected site. Run the league similar to NFL Europe with mandated operating cap costs (somewhere in the $1,000,000/team region).
This would give out of season rugby players another outlet (season from September thru January), additional income (maybe a league average of $15,000/player)and a possible road to the NFL where the BIG bucks are. Yes, there would be an American presence, but with restrictions as they do in the Canadian Football League. $10 admission for adults, kids under 12 free with an adult. If the league took off then the growth to other areas would surely follow.
Just thinking out loud here and would love some feedback!!

wesfolk
Bronze

Post by wesfolk »

Wesfolk2 is Wesfolk. I didn't login prior to my posting. Sorry if it confused the issue. :oops:
Also, since I'm now logged in, if any of the people in this forum have gridiron contacts, please mention this to them for there feedback. This would be a great location for a discussion to begin!! Thank you.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I still don't think that would work. Gridiron just doesn't have nothing near the popularity or financial support to warrant this. Baseball has a reasonable grassroots player base (at least 10 times that of gridiron) and our domestic baseball comp still went broke.

I can safely say there is no way this will happen in at least 20 years

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Hmm i think the most they would ever get to a game would be about 2,500 it would be full of expats and the best place for Gridiron would Be Canberra with the US Embassy their id imagine all their families would love to go to a griiron match in Canberra and the Canada Embassy i think Canberra would get the leagues highest attendances, now thats a change
Not necessarily. Just because the embassy is there doesn't mean it has the biggest population of expats. There are heaps of Yanks and Canadians in Sydney working, visiting or studying. I'd say it outnumbers Canberra. An embassy is just one office remember. We have consulates in other cities. also you must consider the number of international corporations based in Sydney that would attract a more cosmpolitan workforce. I'd say Sydney or Melbourne would be the best bet. But like I said before, gridirion will not take off in this country in an independent pro league