Australia's domestic soccer compeition

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!

What do you think should happen with Australia's domestic Soccer competition?

Continue the NSL as it is
14%
Reform the current NSL
14%
Introduce the new Aus Premier League
71%
Don't have a national league
No votes

Total votes: 14

cam
Gold

Australia's domestic soccer compeition

Post by cam »

What do you all think should happen with Australia's domestic Soccer competition (the National Soccer League). I personally want it to cease ASAP, and bring in the Australian Premier League. Please vote above.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I voted for reform. We spoke about this on the old forum Cam. We'll reignite the debate. I maintain the stance I ad then. Soccer is a joke in this country at the professional level. A new league won't make much of a difference if there is no new/extra money or new faces. To give credit to the current mob of losers, they are the only lot that have invested at least something into Soccer in this nation at a pro-league level. I will change my stance if the APL increases crowds, gets a TV deal, and slows the flow of talent overseas (I know it will never stop the flow. Nor do I want it to).

I'd vote for a 5th option on this poll. "Reform Soccer Australia!" Hopefully the inquiry will do something more explicitly than the Stewart Report. The complex web of power in SA between clubs, and state associations is inconsistent and unattractive to potential investors. I'd love to see a decent NSL or APL, but it won't come as easily as the APL anticipate.

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

Although im not a big follower and fan of soccer, i still go to some glory games and hear news of Soccer Aus. a fair bit. From what I've heard/seen i think it needs to start from scratch, learning from the mistakes made before and ensuring that they wont happen again. A new Australlian Premier League sounds like a good idea to me!

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

The game, just needs a simple cut and thats it bringing the number of teams down is the best answer, and creating new clubs for adelaide, melbourne, sydney which are non ethnic based and shelve the ethnically based clubs, I knoe some have big support but for the bigger picture it would make sence and must happen if we want the APL. I know Cam you go for Sth Melb but i beleive their is no place for that club in a new league. I think they will bring in a totally new club. But we only need to pathc things up not start from scratch, we mustn be doing too badly if we are exporting the likes of Kewell and Viduyka, we must be positibe and not look in the doldrums but look at the positives but alot of work must be done to fix the crowd problems.

Post by Guest »

theres a special report on seven news in a few days that apparently tells explains why glory numbers are down. i wonder if they actually kno or are just bullshitting for viewers... we'll have to see.

mike

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Getting rid of South Melbourne (or any other "ethnic" team) just because they have an ethnic association will not do any good.

I will use South Melbourne as an example. They are one of the best supported clubs. Just because it is ethnically based in its history and most of the present supporters are Greek doesn't mean you should kick them out.

I do think that grounding yourself in your ethnic roots can halt the prgoress of a Soccer club in Australia. But that doesn't mean you should abandon that whole history and shut out a whole bunch of fans that have supported their team week in week out for years. You should encourage these fans because they are existing soccer fans and also get other people to convert to soccer.

Look at Major League Soccer in the USA. Their soccer teams have encouraged large ethnic groups to support them. The LA Galaxy, current champions of MLS have encouraged, obtained and maintained a large ex-pat Mexican following. This means thousands of fans and money. But they also attract other fans too.

This is the problem with Australian clubs in the past. They have only looked to the ethnic group. Thus, people feel left out and want to get rid of these teams because they are seen as having too narrow a support base. Clubs should acknowledge these fans and they will keep coming back. BUT they should also go beyond one ethnic base if they want to grow bigger, like the Glory.

You don't have to get rid of these clubs to make the NSL better. You just have to change the way they do things (reform).

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

My idea is that the new APL would have very minimal interaction with Soccer Australia (the league must be connected with the governing body - says FIFA; however SA must have NO control over the league). The only current teams that would remain would be:
Perth Glory - obvious reasons.
South Melbourne - a very historic club, and one of the most supported.
Newcastle United - very well supported.
Northern Spirit - no ethnic ties and was well supported, however something must be done to fix the current problems.
Olympic Sharks - good history and well supported.
Wollongong - im unsure about a team in this region, if not - maybe a team from Canberra instead.

Then we would need the following new clubs:
Adelaide (to replace the Force)
Melbourne (to replace the Knights)
Brisbane (to possibly replace the Strikers - or maybe the strikers could continue)
Sydney (to replace Power, Stallions, United)

That would be a total of 10 clubs, each club must have financial backing. League would have major sponsors and TV coverage. Im not going into detail here, but you can see what im getting at. Something must be done, the crowds at the moment for all clubs are at a all time low, and interest in the league is minimal.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Not bad ideas Cam, I'll admit.

On the talk of Brisbane, I was reading and article in last Friday's Sydney Morning Herald. Have a look at it yourself http://www.smh.com.au/text/articles/200 ... 258460.htm The bit that caught my eye was about the Brisbane Lions Soccer Club. I knew about them. They used to play in the NSL in the late 1970's and now play in the Queensland comp. They are powerful and huge. The AFL club when the merger happened even had to get permission from the Soccer club t use the name Brisbane Lions. They want to get in the NSL in place of the Strikers. They are heaps cashed up and IMO, in a better position long-term than the Strikers forseeably can be.

As far as the other places are concerned I'm not sure about replacing teams. But you are right in that Melbourne Knights are seriously underperforming in crowds etc, Marconi's licenced club is $25 million in debt (I HATE TONY LABOZETTA. HE IS A JOKE OF AN ADMINISTRATOR), and Sydney United is struggling for support as well. At least my Olympic Sharks havce broadened their appeal by moving South and advertising beyond the greek newspapers. I'm not sure about a new Sydney team. Maybe they should just evolve and the weaker clubs will go soon. A new club isn't necessarily good. Northern Spirit only got 800 people to their fixture last Friday. Even non-ethnic teams can have small crowds.

Oh and finally, if my last post still left you in doubt as to whether teams with an ethnic past would work. I remind you of Scottish powerhouse, Glasgow Celtic, originally and Irish Catholic club in Scotland, now the pride of half the city (the other half hate their guts :) ).

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Last edited by yob on Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Great post Yob. It's exactly what I mean. You can look to ethnic ties and do very well from them. BUT the key for success is to expand your market AS WELL. Carlton has a huge Italian following, Hawthorn games are broadcast on Melbourne's Cantonese radio station and I understand Freo has a reasonable Portuguese following. All these clubs have these ethnic ties but their bread and butter goes beyond that.

Adelaide City is a great example of a club that has failed to capitalise on the SA market. They could've been another Glory playing at a top stadium. They have a very successful history. But they will continue to be bogged down in the shithouse where they are now if they only stick to their Italian supporter base. With the Sharks gone, they are a one city team. Calling them the Force is one step away from the Italian "Zebras" nickname but they need to do more.