AFL Shorts

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Stadium
Bronze

AFL Shorts

Post by Stadium »

How come that AFL shorts are very high cut and tight fitting compared to normal footy shorts (long baggy ones) ??

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Stadium, im guessing u live overseas. The reason for short shorts is basically it is easier to play in shorts that are not baggy, as players tackle each other, go to ground and these would easily fall off. Some clubs where baggier shorts then others like North Melbourne. But most clubs where shorter shorts. Also players have been wearing these shorts for decades. If you want to start following an AFL club start going for West Coast Eagles

As a mad fan of the Perth Glory ( team i support) I will be going to see my team win the championship in front of 43,000 people. They are an awesome team and is the Soccer capital of Australia ( although other posters disagree, it however is and will be until soccer along the east coast gets more then 3000 a game and that they dont hibernate until a World Cup fixture is shown. Which in most cases they do not reach capacity.

Anyways AFL shorts are normal for the australian public much like soccer shorts.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Stadium, I'm just correcting Egan, he got a little mixed up...

Perth is the mecca of domestic soccer in this country. But when it comes to the real stuff, such as Internationals, Perth doesn't get a sniff. Most Internationals (including World Cup Qualifiers) are played in Melbourne, closely followed by Sydney. I can't even remember the last time Perth hosted a (quality) international fixture.
:wink:

Stadium
Bronze

Post by Stadium »

Whats with the Singlets worn by players??

The problem I find with White Shorts is that are sometimes see through :oops:

Given the choice would you pick to wear High cut Shorts or longer.??

Is AFL same rules as footy abroad say Europe?

marcus
Bronze

Post by marcus »

Last edited by marcus on Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Cam just take a breather

We are the No1 Soccer city in the country and statements "like they dont even get a look in" its cause of soccer australias looking for the big buck.

If you hosted games which where freindlies and only the real 'soccer' public would go to u would get less in every other city then in Perth,

You do not judge soccer on a purely how much u get oncer evry four years, but how much media, tv coverage, loyal fans, support of domestic comp, and how many true soccer supporters are in a city.

You guys try and try and like I said Stadium perth is the Soccer capital of australia. Unfortunately, i do not want this to be the case as if it was big in another city the game woul improve. But now eastern staters just lose your pride for a second and realise Perth is Australias soccer capital. And try to reckon with you to get that title of us, for the games sake

Hopefully you can do this

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Nah Sorry Egan, I cannot agree with you on this one. I mean, Perth didn't even have a Soccer team until late-1996. You mentioned how every city would get smaller crowds for friendlies than Perth. Mate, look at the friendlies in Sydney and Melbourne recently. Recently in Melbourne: MCG: Vs Man Utd 72,000, France 55,000, Brazil cant remember official crowd, but was over 50,000; Telstra Dome: Vs Leeds Utd 30,000. And Sydney has hosted matches Vs Man Utd, Brazil, FIFA Allstars which all attracted big crowds - I don't have exact figures. The remote town of Perth will never be the 'capital' of anything, except for Western Australia!! :)
Last edited by cam on Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tailz
Bronze

Post by tailz »

marcus wrote:Essendon are the champion team of this competition and are completely legendary, while a team called Brisbane has cheated their way to the last two premierships. The Brisbane best and fairest is sometimes referred to as the 'Brownlow Medal'
couldn't agree with you more, if, your going to go for anyone, go for essendon, 8 years out 10 we do pretty well, which isn't bad

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

hmm, its been our umpteenth debate on the issue

I can start wavering more facts to back up my claim, but 1 game every 4 years and against teams that attract jst the casual supporter, not really the true soccer supporter, which you have to judge on in deciding on a title. Look at Northern Spirit, after losing there identity, the casual supporters left and the real soccer supporters stayed and they only have 3000. Knights rely on 3000 fantaical soccer supporters, with Sth Melb about 6,000

While today 30,000 at Subiaco would have been soccer supporters in general. Count the amount of casual supporters for the world cup and it would be over half, put an equivelant game in Perth and all 43,000 people would be soccer supporters as demand from them would force the part timers out. That is the difference. That is more then the amount of "true" soccer supporters going to 1 game every 4 years.

But Cam since you guys need to hold on to some pride ill agree to disagree.
Stadium I hope my arguments back up the fact that Perth is truly AUSTRALIAS SOCCER CAPITAL

Hmm dont worry i wont debate this ne further, as the same discussion comes up all the time

P.S Come on you victorians get a life, ESSENDON have not been the champion team for the last ten years, cheating away to a grand final what a joke. Remember only Simon Black( from WAFL in draft that ne1 could have had him) and a few others came into the side that finished last a few years before.

Essendon where not the best team in the last 10 years. if it went down to plain consitency the Eagles would get that title. "Enjoy your success today you wont have much more to cheer about for the rest of the season"

Look what a Glory win does to you, fires you up even more
:lol:

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Egan read my post on the Glory topic regarding your eroneous claims about Perth.

James
Bronze

Post by James »

I reckon AFL shorts (White ONes) are see through if you wear speedos, dont know why the wear singlets mabe somebody could answer the question

bboo0921

Re: AFL Shorts

Post by bboo0921 »

Post removed due to spam.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

What a great bump! :lol:

Although I reckon bumping a thread that has Egan making a complete goose of himself is like shooting fish in a barrel....probably explains why even a bot could do it.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

LOL this would have to be the biggest bump ever.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

eight years later and what's changed?