Allianz Arena, Munich

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
james_
Silver

Allianz Arena, Munich

Post by james_ »

Well there's 237 days to go 'til this gem of a stadium opens its doors. Here are some current construction pics...

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Bloooody oath.

Joey
Silver

Post by Joey »

Looks like Lang Park

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Joey wrote:Looks like Lang Park
Better take another look, Joey...

Joey
Silver

Post by Joey »

Still does

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I wonder if they have a dilusional chancellor claiming "This is the best stadium in the world...its got everything...you couldnt ask for anything more"

If so then it deffinately looks like Lang Park.

This going to be the World Cup final

Capacity?

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

20k bottom level, 24k middle deck, 22k top deck.

Can't believe I knew that off the top of my head.

Christ why hasn't this essay written itself yet :(

tom
Bronze

Post by tom »

Egan wrote:
The final will be played in Berlin but Allianz will host the opening match.

I love this stadium and talk about German efficiency, no time wasting like other resent major events elsewhere :wink:

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

A bit about the architects...

Herzog/de Meuron and their sensual stadium

A visit to Basel

Jacques Herzog of architects Herzog/de Meuron is joint creator of the Allianz Arena in Munich. The Allianz Journal spoke with the world famous artist-cum-architect about his trade in general, the Allianz Arena in particular and tricks of the light.

You would perhaps expect something slightly more imposing, more impressive. After all, we have come to the Mount Olympus of architecture where Jacques Herzog and Pierre de Meuron fire off ideas like lightning blazing from the skies - and suddenly you find yourself in the Rheingasse in Basel, number six, at the entrance in the corner. Twenty-five years ago, the duo began operations in a compact villa, but even now and after a huge number of completed projects scattered all over Europe and the world, there is no suggestion of grandeur at first sight.

But as so often, you cannot judge a book by its cover. Herzog/de Meuron employs 180 staff worldwide, around 130 of them here in Basel. The architects' practice is renowned as one of the most creative in the industry and is currently at work on no less than 30 projects in Europe, Asia and America, "although 30 is the absolute maximum," Jacques Herzog insists.

Two years ago, the Hyatt Foundation honoured the pair with the Pritzker prize, equivalent to a knighthood for architects. Ever since then, Herzog and de Meuron have been recognised as the cream of the crop of current practitioners.

Their careers appear inextricably linked: they were both born in 1950 in Basel before studying together at the Zurich Technical University from 1970 onwards. Following their studies they trained under Professor Dolf Schnebli before establishing Herzog/de Meuron in Basel in 1978. Both are visiting lecturers at Harvard and teach at their old alma mater in Zurich.

Pulsating oval

Herzog and de Meuron have earned their reputation by continually exceeding public expectations and dreaming up new solutions for exteriors and facades, astounding observers time and again. The pair, both of them keen amateur footballers, deployed this capacity for surprise to great effect in the bid process for the new Munich football stadium, described by Franz Beckenbauer as the most unusual in the world.

The first match is scheduled to take place in just 24 months, when the Allianz Arena and its pulsating, illuminated facade is expected to captivate even non-football fans. The swirling mixture of colours and changing intensity of light to reflect events on the field means the stadium will appear as a vibrant, almost living organism.

The oval Arena, 258 metres long, 227 metres wide and 50 metres high, is a joint project between Munich Bundesliga giants Bayern and TSV 1860, and will accommodate 66,000 fans on Europe's most steeply-inclined terraces.

Committed FC Basel fans Herzog and de Meuron gave one or two clues as to their intentions in their design for their beloved club's new stadium here in their home town: the Joggeli, as the Basel stadium is colloquially known, is somewhat smaller than its Bavarian big brother, but also features an illuminated exterior thanks to a shell constructed from 4,400 light-emitting panels.

Herzog dismisses critics who reckon the whole thing is just smoke and mirrors: "Effects, light, top players, drama, it's all part of the show in football," he responds, naming his mission as providing the appropriate stage and scenery. The pair turned to traditional English football stadia for inspiration, where the fans are as close as possible to the field of play. "Architecture has to be a sensual and intelligent medium, otherwise it's just boring," Herzog insists.

Buildings as art

Jacques Herzog and Pierre de Meuron have designed a diverse range of projects including blocks of flats, factories, locomotive sheds and university libraries, but they are best known for stadia and museums. They shot to fame in the year 2000 by transforming the Bankside power station in London into the Tate Modern: the project represented a major breakthrough for the Swiss duo, as the building was more than just a stunning setting for modern works of art but was hailed as a work of art in itself by leading figures in the industry.

Next stop: the Olympics

The architects confirmed their growing reputation as masters of the unusual with the unique design for Munich, where the basic shell is set for completion in the next few days.

But there is another huge project on the horizon: in just a few months, work begins on the new Peking National Stadium, focal point of the 2008 summer Olympics. It is the Swiss duo's first ever project in China.

"Ideally, architecture changes a city," Herzog declares. Only time will tell if the Allianz Arena in Munich comes close to this ideal, but it is already clear the stadium will prove a magnet for visitors.

Once the Arena is complete and the general public experiences the boiling atmosphere, some wag somewhere will doubtless find a suitable nickname, Herzog hopes, although he has already come up with an idea: "The world's most beautiful football stadium," he suggests. It is perhaps a little too long, but it is unquestionably accurate.

St Jakob Park, Basel

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Lighting test surpasses lofty expectations

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Another historic say at the Allianz Arena

A torrent of superlatives dripped from the lips of all those lucky enough to be present at the site in the Munich district of Fröttmaning one Thursday evening a short time ago. Incredible, huge, overwhelming: these were typical reactions to the first lighting test at the Allianz Arena on the third anniversary of the local referendum giving the project the green light, and precisely two years after the foundation stone was laid.

The VIP guest list included mayor Christian Ude, city planning officer Christiane Thalgott, state culture secretary Karl Freller, TSV 1860 Munich President Karl Auer and FC Bayern Munich AG board director Karl Hopfner.

Allianz Arena München Stadion GmbH Managing Director Bernd Rauch gave a brief welcome address before the party crossed the Esplanade to the stadium itself, showing off yet another new face on the evening.

For the very first time, 120 of the exterior façade panels shimmered with light. On completion, the outer shell will comprise 1,056 illuminated panels, a surface area of around 4,200 square metres incorporating 2,160 fluorescent tubes. Even though the test featured only a fraction of the exterior, the appetite was well and truly whetted for more.

"I'm delighted the colours shine out so brightly. This beacon-like stadium creates an extraordinary impression," commented mayor Ude. "This is truly a stadium of the 21st century, a new landmark for the city of Munich with international importance," a similarly exhilarated Freller observed.

The representatives of the two Bundesliga clubs joined in the chorus of praise and admiration. "I don't think anyone could possibly have imagined how it would really work. I'm thrilled, because I never thought the colours would come over so well," enthused Hopfner. Lions boss Auer agreed: "I'm overwhelmed, I'm not sure it was really possible to picture how it would actually work. But now, looking at the play of colours and the different combinations, I have to say it's just crazy."

Every panel can be lit in any of the three colours red, white and blue, offering a huge range of patterns and designs. "The clubs and their fans have the final say as to what they would like," commented Rauch as he concluded the evening programme, another milestone of huge significance in the fascinating story of the Allianz Arena.

8)

JF_Bay22_SCG
Bronze

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

Egan wrote:I wonder if they have a dilusional chancellor claiming "This is the best stadium in the world...its got everything...you couldnt ask for anything more"

If so then it deffinately looks like Lang Park.

Capacity?
As a fanatical fanatical Fc Bayern supporter as well as member of official FCB support-group http://www.clubnr12.de who has been to Germany 6 times, I unfortunately have to temper everyone's enthusiasm for the place. At the moment the fans are spewing. They were promised a standing terrace for at least 10000, including terracing in the middle tier.

Terracing is still unbelievably popular in Germany, thus making the Bundesliga the 2nd most watched sporting league in the world at the moment. So a ground with plush designer seats and no railings to stop your fall is considered as totaly unsatisfactory by most of the Bayern Suedkurve.

The ground is probably be fitted out in its full World Cup capacity. Hopefully sanity will prevail and they will put in "Stehplaetze" for the loyal Bazi.

The most striking thing about a ground known as "das Schlauchboot" (rubber dinghy) is its remarkable outer skin than can totally change colour on request.
Here is the story from FCB's website about it (in English too :wink: )

http://www.fcbayern.t-com.de/en/news/ne ... =SESSIONID

I was hoping to get there for its first match, but am thinking of going and watching the Socceroos in the Confederations Cup instead.

:oops: JF-rot bis zum Tod! :oops:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Terracing is still unbelievably popular in Germany, thus making the Bundesliga the 2nd most watched sporting league in the world at the moment. So a ground with plush designer seats and no railings to stop your fall is considered as totaly unsatisfactory by most of the Bayern Suedkurve
Interesting have Bayern got out of their form slump...I always wonder why it is the one league SBS fail to cover at all.

10,000 terracing in a stadium would be fantastic especially in the middle levels, but obviously the Munich architects are trying to move the population into the twentieth century...though they should facilitate the demand as the Glory did with their stadium...It only has standing room because a large proportion of the people wish to stand at soccer matches.

I never thought it was truly spectacular and my comments you quoted just in accordance with someone thinking it looks like Suncorp Stadium...although I do like Suncorp more.

Will both 1860 Munich and Bayern Munich receive capacity crowds enough to fit 66,000 people into the ground?

How much is it costing just for this outer skin...to me its an expensive waste of money?

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Egan wrote:How much is it costing just for this outer skin...to me its an expensive waste of money?
Egan, is it you who complained in the past about stadiums being ugly concrete jungles or words to that effect?

Isn't it you who's always complaining about the lack of stadium funding?

JF, how do the Bayern Munich fans feel about sharing with 1860 Munich?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Deffinately not me...I like stadiums with character...I do not think that this stadium needed to spend money just to put colour on the roof.
Funding in my state... Arsenal 300 million for their stadium, MCG 300 million dollar, Wembley 900 million.

Worldwide stadium funding is adequate...in WA it is so bad its depressing.

JF_Bay22_SCG
Bronze

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

james_ wrote:
Egan wrote:How much is it costing just for this outer skin...to me its an expensive waste of money?
Egan, is it you who complained in the past about stadiums being ugly concrete jungles or words to that effect?

JF, how do the Bayern Munich fans feel about sharing with 1860 Munich?
Firstly Egan, terracing MUST stay in the Bundesliga. You only have to look to England and how not only the atmosphere has died at many matches but a whole class of football supporters has been priced out of attending football matches. Bayern fans can buy season tickets E100 per season in the Suedkurve.

This is not Perth where cushy rugger corporate wankers will want to sit down with their glasses of Margaret River chardonnay, this is Europe where people want to stand with their friend in an unreserved fashion and create support for their team.

As regards how the Bayernfans feel about sharing the ground with 1859; well this issue is a very long and complex one. Bayern's fans see it as their ground. And are itching for die Sechziger to pull the plug on the whole idea of playing there.

1859 have tradionally played at the Stadion der Gruenwaelder Strasse in Giesing in southern Muenchen. This year after much whinging and boycotting 1ste Bundesliga matches at Bayern's Olympiastadion, they ARE finally back home in Giessing, having been relegated last year :twisted: :D

Bayern and 1859 at club level have gone into the funding of the ground together. But Gymnast president Karl Heinz Wildscheisse was arrested over allegations of underhanded dealing to get one particular building company to build the thing.

The people who feel the most betrayed are the 1859 fans. Their beoved Gruenwaelder ground will be bulldosed after the season is over, unless a drastic change of policy occurs from both the 1859 board and the Munich city council, headed by a Gymnast Christian Ude.

Personally like the old Gruenwaelder. I have seen Bayern amateur matches there (Owen Hargraves Thomas Hitzlsberger and Bastian Schweinsteiger running around in front of 500 people!!!) Bayern have their new ground. I'm hoping and expecting the dormant FCB fan szene to complete expode, just as it has done at both Hamburg and Schalke since they moved/rebuild.

What 1859 does remains to be seen. If their fans had a choice, it would be to stay put. But I cannot see that happening. Bayern, at least officially, are urging them to stay in the union, so that debts can be shared more evenly. But my attitude is that if clubs like Wolfsburg Moenchengladbach Schalke and Hamburg can afford to rebuild on their own, why can't the biggest club in Germany!

Then we could have an :oops: ALL RED :oops: stadium. And no blue rhombuses lighting up on the facade of the ground every second weekend.

JF