Allianz Arena, Munich

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Maybe because for 1860 Munich to survive it needs help from it's bigger brother :wink:

Im all for terracing, im not against terracing at all. Im just amazed that the Bundesliga still has this in a time when the corporate dollar is not integral and terracing can survive.
Perth where cushy rugger corporate wankers
You obviously have not been to MES, the corporate facilities at MES are good but their is a severe lack of them. If you go to a game at MES you will see the ground perfectly caters for all supporters...if Super 14 comes though this will change with many supporters disgruntled with the changes this will bring to the ground...which will not be all good. the Corporate Wankers are probably at Subiaco Oval watching the Eagles...this is the chardonnay set and this is were the money is for the corporate sector...not at an APL soccer match :wink:

JF_Bay22_SCG
Bronze

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

Egan wrote:.
Perth where cushy rugger corporate wankers
the Corporate Wankers are probably at Subiaco Oval watching the Eagles...this is the chardonnay set and this is were the money is for the corporate sector...not at an APL soccer match :wink:
You are right. I was at the Swans-Eagles game at Subi this year and was appalled at how American and gimmicky the crowd was. An annoying ground announcer using every cliche under the sun, taped cheers of "SGIO, Go Eagles, go!", the words to their club song on the screen despite being in the league for how long. All very embarrassing for a supposed footy stronghold state. :oops: :roll:

You probably dont understand a lot of the class devides in the rugby codes being from WA mate. Rugger fans are old money. In Sydney mainly from the private school on the North Shore and Eastern suburbs. a bunch of snot-nosed wankers.

Not that that has anything to do with FC Bayern Muenchen, one of the loves of my life.

JF

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

You also forget the average atmosphere and the yuppyville atmosphere of a WCE game...you won't get many average working class supporters at an Eagles match.

Dockers crowd dynamics is totally reversed.

I have been to Sydney 3 times, I have certainly seen the snobbish attitudes of the north-shore. :wink:

So the rivalry between 1860 Munich and Bayern as big or bigger then derbies such as Chelsea v Arsenal, Barcelona v Real Madrid, Inter v AC Milan, Man City v Man Utd?

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

Egan wrote:Deffinately not me...I like stadiums with character...I do not think that this stadium needed to spend money just to put colour on the roof.
Isn't it you who's always complaining about the lack of stadium funding?
Funding in my state... Arsenal 300 million for their stadium, MCG 300 million dollar, Wembley 900 million.

Worldwide stadium funding is adequate...in WA it is so bad its depressing.
I thought there was more stadium funding available in Australia than anywhere else??

Arsenal havent received any public funding, quite the opposite, they have to do various things in order to get permission to build their private facility.

I think its great the way Germany persist with terracing in new stadiums, and clever the way terracing can be changed to seats to comply with UEFA rules.
The low cost tickets are also to be admired, You almost get the idea that money isnt the first concern. In England its hardly the people´s game anymore, more the game of the rich and the exploited. Is 100 euros really true? Its almost a case of german season ticket = english match ticket

Having said that, crowds ought to be better in Germany given these things.

JF_Bay22_SCG
Bronze

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

Egan wrote:So the rivalry between 1860 Munich and Bayern as big or bigger then derbies such as Chelsea v Arsenal, Barcelona v Real Madrid, Inter v AC Milan, Man City v Man Utd?
Well to the people of Munich it is. You are either ein Roter or ein Blauer. whichever team loses the derby (90% of the time 1859), there supporters don't dare go out of the house the next day for fear of being mocked. I was wearing my "Bayern Ultras" scarf to the supermarket one snowy night and this 1860 man saw me and nearly wanted to hit me. The look of hatred on his face was a huge culture-shock to me; I let him into the supermarket first muttering at him in German that he should go before a Bazi at least once in his life. I swear if looks could kill. I hated 1860 Munich from that day on.

But Bayern has so many supporters who are not from Munich. Beating Sechzig is a matter of life and death to the people in Munich, but for those outside Munich obviously they have their own rivalries. Those who live in the Ruhr want to beat Schalke and Dortmund more than anything. Those who live in northern Bavaria want to beat the Frankenpack from FC Nuernburg most of all.

The thing is unlike other derbies around the place, the Bayern-Sechzig derbies are at least on the field so one-sided. Actually it mirrors the scene in Manchester almost perfectly-the Reds with fans from everywhere, the blues more locally-based. Frank Beckenbauer was an 1860 player until he got fouled by a crude tackle in training and said "I'm off to Bayern."

How things will go in the new stadium is unknown at this stage. Bayern will DEFINITELY get full houses to lots of games, especially early in the season when the weather is nice. Even in winter at least the fans will have some sort of cover. Munich being so close to the Alps gets lots and lots of nasty snowfalls. People sitting on the outerside of the present-day Olympiastadion literally have to wade through snow and ice to sit on their garden stool.

Atmosphere means a lot. Schalke and HSV get packed houses in their new grounds because of the spine-tingling atmosphere created by the singing fans in the terraces. I went to HSV-Bayern in a match that decided the Bundesliga title http://www.stadionwelt-fanfotos.de/stad ... 1B6-2.html
and it was truly deafening when Barbarez scored in the 90th minute. :cry: And even more crazy when we won the title in the 94th! :D

What sort of crowds 1860 will get in the 2nd division up there, well it remains to be seen. Many 1860 fans boycotted matches at the Olympiastadion. I know as a fact that there is a push to keep them at the Stadion an der Gruenwaelder Strasse. I guess we'll have to see how it all pans out, hey.

Man, I'm enjoying this forum so much. Should have logged on ages ago!

JF 8) [/url]

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Why do you sometimes call 1860 Munich, 1859 Munich? A typo? Or some sort of insult to the club? :?

Also, and I don't mean to be nosy, are you of German extraction?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

JF_Bay22_SCG wrote:You probably dont understand a lot of the class devides in the rugby codes being from WA mate. Rugger fans are old money. In Sydney mainly from the private school on the North Shore and Eastern suburbs. a bunch of snot-nosed wankers.
WELCOME ABOARD!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Thanks for that interesting perception of the Derbies between the two clubs...I surely will have to go to a Bundesliga match whenever I do get to Germany.

Swede, Western Australian government spends so little money on stadium infrastructure and the sporting associations go broke to facilitate the redevelopments. Eg the WACA did their redevelopment, now they are a financial basket case due to this, Subiaco are crippled by the Governmental loan for the last redevelopment, the Glory had only 12 million spent on upgrading their ground.

Other states around the country get much much more money spent on stadium infrastructure

JF_Bay22_SCG
Bronze

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

james_ wrote:Why do you sometimes call 1860 Munich, 1859 Munich? A typo? Or some sort of insult to the club? :?

Also, and I don't mean to be nosy, are you of German extraction?
No, but I studied it not only to Three Unit Level at school, but until 3rd year at university.

I just got off on the fact that two of my great passions, sport and my love for foreign languages could be combined into one mega-interest. Each interest added to the enjoyment of the other. I also really enjoyed following the Montreal Alouettes (in French Canada) when I have a working visa for there in 1999.

As far as I know, I'm the only person in Australia to subscribe to the German sports weekly http://www.sportbild.de. Inside Football but 1000% better. And in full colour!

JF who'll call them TSV 2te LIGA 1858 Muenchen if it makes them any smaller! :D :P

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Worth bumping this thread just to re-iterate how fu cking good this stadium is. It's a bit out in the sticks (a good half hour train ride from the city), but it's got just about everything you'd want in a stadium. Capacity, aethestically pleasing, lots of space around the stadium to get in and out as well as in the stadium itself to walk around, the rise on the seats is high so there are no viewing problems, lots of bars and other food sellers and both clubs get massive outlets to hock off their gear. Shame the 2nd club based there isn't even playing first division.

How great would it be to have one of these plonked on the Esplanade in Perth. Would become a deadset icon of the city.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

been there. top stadium.

but it (and other football grounds) should have standing areas more like this: