Worlds Largest Stadium

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
Egan
Platinum

Worlds Largest Stadium

Post by Egan »

In the previous forum we debated wether the MAy Day stadium in Pyonyang was the largest stadium in the world with 150,000 people capacity. Well acording to the Guiness Book of Records 2003 the largest stadium in the world is Strahov Stadium in Prague Czech republic with 240,000 people able to fit into the ground

http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Parc/590 ... m though.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Last edited by yob on Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

The figure of 240,000 at Strahov is correct, but that is because it was once not enclosed. Gymnastics demonstrations with up to 40,000 competitors were at one time played out in the presence of 240,000 people but the crowd was swelled out a long way and most were standing.
The Maracana Stadium in Rio takes 205,000 but due to safety regulations, the number which can be seated is 155,000 which is still higher than MayDay in Pyongyang.

tailz
Bronze

Post by tailz »

when you think about, most of the 100000 seater stadiums in the world could be 200000+ stadiums if they didn't have seats.

marcus
Bronze

Post by marcus »

Last edited by marcus on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

If this is the case I think the Guiness Book Of Records needs to be corrected as it listed this stadium as the worlds largest. How could 240,000 people ever be able to fit into one stadium that is all seated, i reckon that is virtually impossible, maybe some architect might know how it is possible though.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Last edited by yob on Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

It depends on the definition of a stadium...

The Indianapolis motor speedway has permanent seating for 255,000 people and increases temp seating to 319,000 for Indy 500.

The Prague Stadium is also not a football or sporting stadium.Its much larger and from Ive read the field size is 4 times the normal football pithc size.

As for May Day stadium,it doesnt look like 150,000 to me,unless its mostly standing room.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

I think there are two Strahov Stadiums....The old Strahov seated 250,000,but was not a football stadium and I think now its demolished

marcus
Bronze

Post by marcus »

Last edited by marcus on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

I agree with Dan's assertion that MayDay in Pyongyang is nowhere near 150,000 capacity. I think that this figure is more the result of a totalitarian regime exaggerating something to make itself look more important.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

If you go into a book store look at page 130 in the Guiness Book Of Records 2003 and it clearly states that Sta
ahov Stadium is the largest Stadium in the world with a capacity of 240,000. Its a bit of a joke though, they say they research fully well its not hard to realise it doesnt hold 240,000 people.

my eagle eye
Bronze

Post by my eagle eye »

When you look at this pictures it makes the May Day stadium seem a lot bigger.

The May Day stadium has 150,000 seats and a total floor space of more than 207,000 square metres. This makes the MAY DAY Stadium the biggest stadium in the world! The area of the pitches is over 22,500 square metres. The stadium has eight storeys and is more than 60 metres high from the ground to the roof. The 60 metre long canopy is enough to cover the section of the stands. The pent of the inner roof is 60 metres long and the outer roof 40m long. The 16 arch roofs link with one another like flower petals.

The roofs look like a large flower floating on the clear water of the Taedong, or a parachute which has just landed, so it gives the impression of a dynamic sculpture. The stadium has 80 exits and ten lifts. It was built in two and a half years on the picturesque Rungra Island in the Taedong River, and commissioned on May 1, 1989. Every condition is provided for international games. The football pitch is covered with natural grass, and the 400 metre track and other parts for field events are rubberised.

The stadium has various training halls, recreation rooms, an indoor swimming pool, an ultrasonic bat, a sauna, beds and so on, which are indispensable for the players training and convenience. It also has dining rooms, and a broadcasting room and telex booths. The rubberised indoor running track is several hundred metres long and is on the sixth floor.

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

nup. not buying it...

As fay as Guiness book of world records goes, they should define the type of stadium, for places such as Indianapolis motor speedway are not really proper stadiums. They should maybe state whether the stadium has a current capacity of whatever, and also record attendances.

As for Strahov, this is what worldstadiums.com (visit http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pi ... ahov.shtml) says:

The first part of the stadium was built in 1926, when most of the stadium was made of wood. In 1932 the entire wooden part, as it was originally built, was replaced by concrete cement blocks. Other big rebuildings were made in 1948 and 1975. In present days, there are 9 football grounds with standard sizes that fit within the stadium. The playing ground of the stadium measures 63 500 square meters!

This is what I sayto 250,000 people:
Bull!

NZ_Fraggle
Bronze

Post by NZ_Fraggle »

Here's a couple of interesting websites with interesting pictures of this stadium in its heyday. It seems that it's now a ruin.

http://dhn.grahamedia.de/dhn/sss.htm
http://dhn.grahamedia.de/dhn/sss2.htm

It looks really awe-inspiring.

Fraggle