Auckland Stadiums

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
cam
Gold

Auckland Stadiums

Post by cam »

Earlier today, I was reading articles from about 1-2 years ago regarding the future of stadiums in Auckland. This is what I picked up:

- QBE Stadium (North Harbour) to become the main venue for Rugby League, Union & Soccer for crowds of up to 25k - new roof to be built over the western stand and potentially a retractable roof to be built in the future if/when funds become available.
- NZ Warriors asked to move from Mt Smart Stadium to QBE Stadium when their lease ends in 2018 - not keen to move though - Council says it'll cost $70m to upgrade the aging Mt Smart Stadium.
- Large events (25k+) to be held at Eden Park.
- Cricket to move to Western Springs Stadium - venue will be developed into a boutique 15k ground - AFL has also expressed interest in playing games here.
- Speedway to move from Western Springs Stadium to Mt Smart Stadium (haven't seen any details but I would assume the old grandstand on the broadcast would be demolished and the other newer stand retained.

Looking at some more recent articles, the Warriors may now remain at Mt Smart Stadium for the next 15 years (they think it could be kept current with $10m of funding, not $70) and Speedway likely to remain at Western Springs. QBE may still be upgraded at a cost of $27m. Sounds similar to the situation in Sydney! Anyone heard some likely outcomes?

HoldenV8
Silver

Re: Auckland Stadiums

Post by HoldenV8 »

North Harbour Stadium has actually had seats put in at each end of the venue. Capacity is still stated to be 25,000.

Speedway has been run at Western Springs since 1929, though I have heard of the plans to move cricket there from Eden Park.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Warriors staying at Mt Smart till 2028 then want to move into a new rectangular stadium in a more central location - either a new stadium or improved Eden Park

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/770 ... ested.html

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

From what I keep on hearing and reading, neither the Warriors or their fans wanted to move to Eden Park anytime soon.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

The Warriors would have been dragged kicking and screaming to Eden Park or QBE. Eden Park is too expensive and night events are limited, and QBE is just a big lol.