Qatar 2022 Bid Stadiums

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
Dasher39
Silver

Qatar 2022 Bid Stadiums

Post by Dasher39 »

Qatar 2022 released details of five carbon-neutral, air-conditioned stadiums recently. They look f***ing stunning.

AL-KHOR

• Al-Khor is a brand new stadium that will be built in the city of Al-Khor, 50 kilometers north of Doha.
• The stadium takes its design cues from the seashell.
• During the FIFA World Cup™ the stadium will hold 45,330 fans. A permanent lower tier will have 25,500 seats while a modular upper tier will have 19,830 seats.
• All seats will be covered, and some will have stunning views of the Arabian Sea.
• Fans will be able to arrive by water taxi, train and car.

AL-WAKRAH

• Al-Wakrah is a brand new stadium that will be built in Al-Wakrah, a city 20 kilometers south of Doha.
• The stadium and surrounding sports complex are designed to represent an oasis. The sporting complex will include an aquatic center and other sporting facilities, along with a spa and retail space.
• During the FIFA World Cup™ the stadium will hold 45,120 fans. A permanent lower tier will have 25,500 seats while a modular upper tier will have 19,620 seats.
• Fans will be able to arrive by train or by using the new Doha Expressway

AL-SHAMAL

• Al-Shamal is a brand new stadium that will be built in western Qatar.
• The stadium takes its design cues from the dhow, the traditional fishing vessel in the Arabian Gulf.
• During the FIFA World Cup™ the stadium will hold 45,330 fans. A permanent lower tier will have 25,500 seats while a modular upper tier will have 19,830 seats.
• Fans will be able to arrive by water taxi, train and car. It will be easily accessible from the Qatar-Bahrain Friendship Bridge, and we expect that at least 10% of fans will arrive from Bahrain.

AL-RAYYAN

• Al-Rayyan is an existing stadium in a Doha suburb that will be expanded for the FIFA World Cup™.
• The stadium includes a “media façade” with the capacity to project other football matches, news and advertisements onto the outside of the stadium.
• During the FIFA World Cup™ the stadium will hold 44,740 fans. The existing lower tier has 21,282 seats while a modular upper tier will have 23,458 seats. Roofing elements will be added so that all seats are covered.
• Fans will be able to arrive by train and car.

AL-GHARAFA

• Al-Gharafa is an existing stadium in a suburb of Doha that will be expanded for the FIFA World Cup™.
• The façade will be made up of the colours of the teams playing in the 2022 FIFA World Cup™, representing the values of the global football community.
• During the FIFA World Cup™ the stadium will hold 44,740 fans. The existing lower tier has 21,175 seats while a modular upper tier will have 23,565 seats. Roofing elements will be added so that all seats are covered.
• Fans will be able to arrive by train and car.

Jeffles
Platinum

Re: Qatar 2022 Bid Stadiums

Post by Jeffles »

Australia take note if they're going to build joints in western Sydney and regional venues.

timmers
Bronze
Location: Sydney's Hills, where public transport doesn't exist

Post by timmers »

Interesting that most of them plan to use a permanent bottom tier and then temporary upper tiers, perhaps Australia will still chuck one of those into our bid. I seem to remember Lowy talking about them a bit. I think something like the Al-Shamal would be a good solution for Townsville.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

apart from the fact that the first one was probably inspired by a georgia o'keefe painting, they're pretty cool.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

and this is from the joke bid.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

I honestly don't know what to make of Qatar's bid. Objectively speaking the country is far too small to host a World Cup, but it's in a good timezone and would be the Middle East's first WC. There are positives.

I think one (or more) of the bidding nations needs to mount a campaign to undermine this bid ASAP.

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

They look pretty amazing...

Where's the 80,000 seater though?

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

dibo wrote:and this is from the joke bid.
I think that is firmly Indonesia now. Or some may have you believe it is us.

I do like the idea of building a stadium right on the border with Bahrain, the advantages of a joint bid without all the crap.

Otherwise I pretty much agree with Simmo, it has issues due to the fact that essentially it only has 1 city in Doha, I mean 20km and that is considered a separate city, come on. We could host this whole thing around Sydney if that is the case of acceptable. But the money available and the time zones makes it rather attractive. I do however think there could be a better country to host it, in the region, especially with UAE and Saudi Arabia having more cities (and quite possibly more money) to work with.

deejaybee
Silver

Post by deejaybee »

Pretty, but not enough venues AND tickets available to be sold. We don't want a three month competition. Next.
Last edited by deejaybee on Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

We could host this whole thing around Sydney if that is the case of acceptable.
And Qatar has a similar population to Adelaide...

with 5 x 45k stadiums.

This bid just doesn't pass muster but they're working damn hard on it. A perfect spoiler bid IMO

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

The city is also a shithole.

Going to have to look at alcohol issue as well. FIFA won't be able to sell as many tickets to overseas fans if Alcohol does not become legalised in the country.

deejaybee
Silver

Post by deejaybee »

Egan wrote:The city is also a shithole.

Going to have to look at alcohol issue as well. FIFA won't be able to sell as many tickets to overseas fans if Alcohol does not become legalised in the country.
My sentiments exactly. Budweiser have sponsorship of the WC from what I remember (even in Germany)...would staging a WC in a country where alcohol is illegal lose that sponsor income from Anheuser-Busch and others?

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

how can you have carbon nutral airconditioned stadiums in a gulf state? All of the stadiums except for the top one are the same with a diffrent roof. The last two are exactly the same. Good on them though. It is hardly a sustainable bid post WC.

Waz
Silver

Post by Waz »

Al-Rayyan and Al-Gharafa are the same f***ing stadium FFS!

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

A thought occurs: given that the week before the WC proper is used by FIFA bigwigs for their conference and general politicking, their stay in South Africa will be about 5 weeks or so. Are these same gentleman really going to want to spend 5 weeks in Qatar without access to booze, hookers and blow? Yeah I don't think so.