U2 at Nou Camp

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
Boba Fett
Silver

U2 at Nou Camp

Post by Boba Fett »

http://twitpic.com/8verq

The new album might be a colossal bore, but that stage is incredible!

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Makes the stadium look tiny.

Waz
Silver

Post by Waz »

Holy crap! Do they play on that stage all over Europe? Ian?

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Yes. And going through the US as well. There are actually three of them that leapfrog each other as the tour progresses. It's cost them $100m to stage, but considering the tour is 94% sold out they've grossed $300m in ticket sales alone. Throw in further legs to be announced, plus merchandising and sponsorship deals and U2 are sitting pretty.

The design allows pretty much all seats in a stadium able to be sold, so they've been able to factor in a 20% increase in revenue over a 'normal' stadium show.

To put the scale of the stage into perspective, the previous largest ever touring stage was the one for the Rolling Stones' A Bigger Bang tour a few years ago. That entire stage could fit underneath U2's current set up.

Mind blowing stuff...

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

that would feed a lot of hungry children Bono........hypocrical prick

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Not a Bono fan I take it Crow?

I don't understand what you want him to do or say? Regardless of whether you like U2 or not, he has a right to put on a show that is pushing the boundaries of large-scale concert touring - as U2 has done for almost 20 years now. His position in U2 has given him a certain degree of fame - he could have done what most music or movie stars have done and lived a completely selfish, indulgent life. But he's chosen to spend a great deal of his time and money on trying to alleviate poverty around the world.

Reality is that Bono has done more practical work for the benefit of the world's poor than most people. And yet he gets pilloried for it - go figure.

Criticise his music, sure, but I don't see how anybody could be criticised for trying to help their fellow human beings - I just don't understand that attitude.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

With all due respect to Bono, is is a hypocritical flog.

One one hand he bags out governments for not contributing more to the world's poor, yet he moved from Ireland to the Netherlands to avoid tax. Just shows his attitude - preach about what other people should do, but when it comes to his own ethical standards it's open slather.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

I know I'm starting to sound like an apologist for Bono, but geez can you people get your facts straight before mouthing off?!?

Bono has not moved from Ireland - he still lives there and pays taxes like any other Irish citizen. And I suspect the Irish government gets quite a lot from Bono!

What has happened is that part of U2's business has been moved to the Netherlands. Most of the band's income is earned in countries other than Ireland - and usually taxed in the country of origin. For example, if U2 earns money in Australia, then the Australian government will tax that income. Why would U2 then want to be taxed again if they didn't have to be? Would you? Seems like common sense to me...

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Boba Fett wrote:I know I'm starting to sound like an apologist for Bono, but geez can you people get your facts straight before mouthing off?!?

Bono has not moved from Ireland - he still lives there and pays taxes like any other Irish citizen. And I suspect the Irish government gets quite a lot from Bono!

What has happened is that part of U2's business has been moved to the Netherlands. Most of the band's income is earned in countries other than Ireland - and usually taxed in the country of origin. For example, if U2 earns money in Australia, then the Australian government will tax that income. Why would U2 then want to be taxed again if they didn't have to be? Would you? Seems like common sense to me...
You don't get taxed again. That's not how most Western tax systems work.

The Irish system, like Australia's, generally allow a tax credit for tax paid overseas. This is to prevent (funnily enough) double taxation.

The reason he moved U2 to the Netherlands is tax rates, pure and simple. It's not because they were getting double taxed.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

The reason he moved U2 to the Netherlands is tax rates, pure and simple
Thank you for agreeing with me. The Irish government changed its tax rates for artists a few years ago and U2 responded in a fiscally responsible manner.

But also let's make it clear that Bono has not moved from Ireland and does not avoid paying tax.

By the way, can we get back to discussing stadiums please?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Good point.

What do people think of stadium concerts? I'm not a fan if I'm sitting way back. I guess it's an economic reality to have them rather than stacks of concerts at a smaller venue or more expensive ticket prices at a smaller venue.

Going to music festivals or stadium concerts and being far back is pointless for me.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

I think it depends. If all you're interested in is really listening to a great music performance, then stadium gigs are generally awful. But as you said Jeffles, sometimes economic reality kicks in for the artists and its the only option.

Which is why I like bands like U2 (or AC/DC, Pink Floyd, etc) who design a production that is designed for a stadium environment. While you will lose the intracacies in the musical performace, you gain something from the sheer 'spectacle' of it all, particularly if you are sitting way back. In other words it stops being purely about the music.

And it does provide another raison d'etre for large stadiums to exist! :D

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

I think you have missed something there... concerts are all about the music...it’s like going to the cricket and just watching the score board.

I prefer smaller venues 2000 max......there is a better intimacy with the band

I actually saw U2 at ANZ last year..and yawn (they were free tickets..and great seats by the way.) but yyyaawwwnnnnnn all their music these days is just sooo generic its getting dull. There was a time when I liked their music, Unforgettable Fire is a good album, but meh......I often have this conversation with one of my wife’s friends who is a U2 nut, who flew to Dublin just too see them kinda person. Sorry I just don’t get them anymore. If you’re going to put an a massive show Pink Floyd is a great example of how to do it I saw them too at the ent cent but their music is a little better geared up for that kind of a back ground...and come to think of it so was I at the time.,...maybe that would of made the diffrence with U2..geeze it needed somthing.

I went and saw Kings of Leon at the ent cent earlier this year, and it was a larger crowd.....the amount of people that left after sex on fire...was disgusting...to me their older stuff is much better, the concert however was pretty good and had a great vibe.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Boba Fett wrote:
The reason he moved U2 to the Netherlands is tax rates, pure and simple
Thank you for agreeing with me. The Irish government changed its tax rates for artists a few years ago and U2 responded in a fiscally responsible manner.

But also let's make it clear that Bono has not moved from Ireland and does not avoid paying tax.

By the way, can we get back to discussing stadiums please?
f**k no, and you're being pedantic.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

I actually saw U2 at ANZ last year..and yawn
have to agree with you there - what a snooze-fest that gig was. Having seen U2 each time they've toured Australia that was easily the worst gig of theirs that I've seen.

The sound was awful - having seen them previously at the SFS and Brisbane's QE11 (or whatever it's called now) the sounds was great back then.

Saw The Police at ANZ Stadium last year as well and that was even worse. Would have loved to be have been up close for that band...

Pink Floyd - I once read a review of their concert that said you needed to see them three times. Once for just the music, once just for the visuals and a third time for the overall experience.

Anyone got any opinions on what is the best stadium (not arena) in Australia for concerts?