England's World Cup bid stadiums

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
deejaybee
Silver

Post by deejaybee »

Yeah what bazza says is right...not an official policy, but a preference.

But come on, who wants to lose out to England?

Personally, I'm more willing to go to Seville than Townsville or Bristol.

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

Egan wrote:You would prefer the US over Indonesia?
The US is far wealthier, have far better infrastructure and venues. A proven record of staging big events, and I would think far more development potential for the sport, including evertyhing from a profesional structure to grass-roots facilities etc.

I dont know an indonesian bid, but it isnt enough just to be a big place and promise some venues. For the cup to go to such an unlikely place, Indonesia would have to not just be up to the staging of it, but provide a reason for it to go there. I doubt they have the strucutres to make something out of a wold cup

A US world cup affects the perception of soccer. There is little doubt about that, and thats why they will soon get it again, if not in 18 then very soon afterwards.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

plus i guess they get to learn about geography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqi0DwNL ... r_embedded

Goonerblue
Bronze

Post by Goonerblue »

Europe will host the 2018 World Cup and by rights that means England - those with petty anti-English prejudices should get over it! Australia should then host the 2022 World Cup - and a damn fine host nation it will be. That would then mean that FIFA would have staged a World Cup on every continent (excepting Antarctica, of course, but who knows what Sepp Blatter might be thinking...).

As for the English bid, I see Nottingham have just unveiled their proposals (see http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 241048.stm) which will be Forest's new home ground.

By the way, I would agree with previous comments concerning Old Trafford - one of the most uncomfortable grounds to watch football - and that's the new North Stand not the old South Stand.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Goonerblue wrote: by rights that means England
Why England over Russia or any other bidder... what "rights" are you talking about?

Personally I wouldn't mind if England won the rights to host 2018 but I can't see anything that would indicate that they have a right above anyone else. Their bid will have to stack up. Currently many of the venues suggested do not have space for the compulsory commercial and hospitality villages.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

it's coming home, it's coming home, it'c coming
football's coming home

deejaybee
Silver

Post by deejaybee »

Goonerblue wrote:Europe will host the 2018 World Cup and by rights that means England - those with petty anti-English prejudices should get over it! Australia should then host the 2022 World Cup - and a damn fine host nation it will be. That would then mean that FIFA would have staged a World Cup on every continent (excepting Antarctica, of course, but who knows what Sepp Blatter might be thinking...)
I was shocked to find out that many Europeans don't count Australia as a continent, they regard it as "Oceania"-including the Zealandia subcontinent haha

Siberian WC at 2100 :lol:

Waz
Silver

Post by Waz »

You'd be surprised how many clueless Australians have no idea that Australia is not part of a continent called "Oceania" and is actually part of a continent bearing the same name as itself. Oceania is simply a region!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_%28continent%29

It's an old bugbear of mine!

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Waz wrote:You'd be surprised how many clueless Australians have no idea that Australia is not part of a continent called "Oceania" and is actually part of a continent bearing the same name as itself. Oceania is simply a region!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_%28continent%29

It's an old bugbear of mine!
Interesting. In 60 years of living in various states of Australia I have never heard anyone refer to Oceania as a continent in fact most wouldn't even know it was a Region.