Lansdowne Road redevelopment

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Jeffles wrote:
james_ wrote:Phew. It could've got ugly if they'd played in Britain
Nah. There are that mnay Poms in the Ireland side it would seem like a quasi home game.
I'll have to take your word for it. I was refering to the threats made against Irish fans.
james_ wrote:Ireland may be forced to play their World Cup qualifying matches abroad... There is one grave concern however, the safety of the Irish fans. Skinhead gangs are threatening to attack the tourists.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Ah. I got ya.

Dr H
Bronze

Post by Dr H »

Looks good better then the original plan.

It's a very awkward shaped site to rebuild with a train track under one stand and local residents objections to lack of sunlight prevented the opposite stand extending all along the touchline,so they've done pretty well to develop this design IMO.

http://www.lrsdc.ie/_fileupload/EXTERIO ... %20712.jpg

http://www.lrsdc.ie/_fileupload/INT_FOO ... %20874.jpg

http://www.lrsdc.ie/_fileupload/Podium% ... %20620.jpg

http://www.lrsdc.ie/_fileupload/INT_RUG ... %20872.jpg

Cost €365 million.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

A bit lopsided but I like the look of it.

Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

3/4 of it is an exact replica of the Estádio da Luz!

Dr H
Bronze

Post by Dr H »

Hiraldo wrote:3/4 of it is an exact replica of the Estádio da Luz!

Not really the roof at Esadio de luz is flat and seperate from the curved stands(I had the misfortune to watch Zidane score a last minute winner against England there)it is similar to COM and the new Liverpool one though.

britishspud
Silver

Post by britishspud »

what a waste of money....

and all the irish will realise this once they go from having 90k at one of the biggest and best stadia in the world back to landsdown rd..

Dr H
Bronze

Post by Dr H »

Yep

They aren't allowed to play at Croke Park so they have to redevelop Lansdowne Road and while they're doing that they are going to play at ...erm Croke Park :?

Only the Irish.... :wink: *

*This is merely a gag not meant to offend any of our uber-patriotic Celtic cousins,I just read the International Rules thread.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Jeffles wrote:
Phew. It could've got ugly if they'd played in Britain
Nah. There are that mnay Poms in the Ireland side it would seem like a quasi home game. :lol:
They've played a neutral play-off game at Anfield before (IIRC against Holland for France '98 or Euro '96- probably Euro 96). Not hard for the Micks to travel that far and the England hoolies are wary of the Celtic firms from Glasgow and Belfast. Another obvious solution would be to play at Celtic Park. You'd pull half 30,000 just from the local population.

Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

Dr H wrote:
Hiraldo wrote:3/4 of it is an exact replica of the Estádio da Luz!

Not really the roof at Esadio de luz is flat and seperate from the curved stands(I had the misfortune to watch Zidane score a last minute winner against England there)it is similar to COM and the new Liverpool one though.
I should've said just the seating. Lansdowne Road's roof is very impressive.

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

Looks more like the City of Manchester Stadium to me.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Simmo79 wrote:
Jeffles wrote:
Phew. It could've got ugly if they'd played in Britain
Nah. There are that mnay Poms in the Ireland side it would seem like a quasi home game. :lol:
They've played a neutral play-off game at Anfield before (IIRC against Holland for France '98 or Euro '96- probably Euro 96). Not hard for the Micks to travel that far and the England hoolies are wary of the Celtic firms from Glasgow and Belfast. Another obvious solution would be to play at Celtic Park. You'd pull half 30,000 just from the local population.
Wasn't that play off game played in England because of a FIFA ban on an Irish home game due to crowd trouble in a home fixture against England? :lol:

quidgybo
Silver

Post by quidgybo »

Dr H wrote:Yep

They aren't allowed to play at Croke Park so they have to redevelop Lansdowne Road and while they're doing that they are going to play at ...erm Croke Park :?

Only the Irish.... :wink: *
A city the size of Dublin doesn't need two major stadiums. If it is to have a second stadium then it should be exactly that - a secondary stadium. Something to cater for smaller events. The new ground should be for no more than 35k to 40k and I'd argue any additional funding should be spent on giving it a Millenium Stadium style retractable roof. Since its major tenants are RU and soccer, most events will be staged during the wet and windy Dublin winter. With a smaller capacity the ground's bread and butter becomes the smaller events where the weather is most likely to affect attendance. This makes it the ideal candidate for a roof. But for major events where the weather ain't such an issue there's already a much bigger stadium just across the CBD. What's the point in wasting money replicating it?

Given the GAA mainly plays in summer Croke Park sits largely unused during winter. The few big RU and soccer events likely to draw more than 40k (no more than 6 or 7 a year) could quite happily be played there without inconveniencing the GAA in any way. The only thing missing is some lights. Of course the reverse ir true with the new Lansdowne available for the GAA to use for smaller weekends in summer or in the event of bad weather (again with the roof). Of course it'll never happen like that. The GAA would never be that sensible or unselfish and the Irish Government don't have the balls to force common sense to prevail. Reminds me a lot of Queensland.

Leigh.

Dr H
Bronze

Post by Dr H »

Didn't the Irish government plough a lot of money in to Croke Park and is now going to do the same for this place?

If I was an Irish tax payer I'd be going nuts.

britishspud
Silver

Post by britishspud »

i'd always wondered about the pitch dimensions of gaelic sports..so did a bit of searching and

no wonder croke parks so bloody huge :shock: