Lansdowne Road redevelopment

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

quidgybo wrote: ... Given the GAA mainly plays in summer Croke Park sits largely unused during winter. The few big RU and soccer events likely to draw more than 40k (no more than 6 or 7 a year) could quite happily be played there without inconveniencing the GAA in any way. The only thing missing is some lights. Of course the reverse is true with the new Lansdowne available for the GAA to use for smaller weekends in summer or in the event of bad weather (again with the roof). Of course it'll never happen like that. The GAA would never be that sensible or unselfish and the Irish Government don't have the balls to force common sense to prevail. Reminds me a lot of Queensland.
Leigh.
You need to understand this issue from an Irish perpective in its full historical and cultural context.Note the parts I've put in bold.
1) The plans for Lansdowne Rd will not allow for either of the GAA sports to be played there. Both hurling and gaelic football require fields 150m length, 90m wide. Landsowne Rd will be too small.

2) I've said this before on another thread. There are strong cultural reasons why the GAA insists on its own exclusive stadium. I won't on this post go through all the history and its still current resonance with many GAA followers about how the English games were promoted by 19th century English rulers - whilst the native gaelic games (along with the language) were long banned until the 1880's as part of an (ultimately unsuccessful) campaign of cultural genocide to try and turn the Irish into compliant 'Englishmen'- and gaelic sport was still strongly opposed by the ruling English ruling establishment (that continued to strongly promote and assist the English codes) until the Irish finally gained their freedom in 1922.

Suffice to say Croke Park has a history that is more than just sporting and has as a result become a symbol of Irishness and nationalism. Keep in mind, it was the scene of the Bloody Sunday massacre of 1921, when the British auxiliary Black & Tans burst into the stadium during the Dublin v Tipperary match and proceeded to machine-gun the crowd and players! The Black & Tans (British terrorist auxiliaries) who conducted this massacre were prominent in RU circles. It was in honour of one of the players shot that the original Hogan Stand got its name. Hill 16, meanwhile, named after the Easter Rising of 1916, was actually constructed from the rubble remaining in O'Connell Street - then Sackville Street - after that insurrection.

The behaviour of the Auxiliaries and the Black and Tans during the Irish War of Independence, most of it secretly sanctioned and approved, helped turn the Irish public against the Crown. Some British politicians and the King made no secret of their horror at the behaviour of Crown forces. The mass murder of men, women and children, both spectators and football players, made international headlines, damaging British credibility.

The indiscrimate Bloody Sunday Croke Park massacre of men, women and children (one child was even bayoneted to death) caused such international outrage and revulsion as well as in Ireland itself, that British rule in Ireland was fatally undermined, leading to freedom to most of Ireland the following year. The events of Bloody Sunday have survived in Irish public memory.

With this sort of history and background, which has been neither forgotten or forgiven by many Irish, its hardly surprising that many Irish (namely the majority that support the GAA) are most reluctant to allow any English sports onto their sacred Irish turf.

quidgybo
Silver

Post by quidgybo »

sandyhill wrote:
quidgybo wrote: ... Given the GAA mainly plays in summer Croke Park sits largely unused during winter. The few big RU and soccer events likely to draw more than 40k (no more than 6 or 7 a year) could quite happily be played there without inconveniencing the GAA in any way. The only thing missing is some lights. Of course the reverse is true with the new Lansdowne available for the GAA to use for smaller weekends in summer or in the event of bad weather (again with the roof). Of course it'll never happen like that. The GAA would never be that sensible or unselfish and the Irish Government don't have the balls to force common sense to prevail. Reminds me a lot of Queensland.
Leigh.
You need to understand this issue from an Irish perpective in its full historical and cultural context.
I've been living in Dublin for the last twevle months so I've had plenty of time to observe the debate and the arguments raised. So I do understand the arguments, I just don't accept them.
Note the parts I've put in bold.
1) The plans for Lansdowne Rd will not allow for either of the GAA sports to be played there. Both hurling and gaelic football require fields 150m length, 90m wide. Landsowne Rd will be too small.
The new Lansdowne will be constructed with dimensions suitable for GAA sports. It's been part of the plan from day one and I believe a condition of Government funding. What's the difference really? 150m is a 100m union playing field plus two 20 metre in-goals with a bit of dead ball space. 90m is 68m union playing field with 10m of dead space each side. Given that the minimum GAA field dimensions are 130m x 80m the stadium ultimately shouldn't end up much different to any other purpose built union ground in the world.
2) I've said this before on another thread. There are strong cultural reasons why the GAA insists on its own exclusive stadium. I won't on this post go through all the history and its still current resonance with many GAA followers about how the English games were promoted by 19th century English rulers - whilst the native gaelic games (along with the language) were long banned until the 1880's as part of an (ultimately unsuccessful) campaign of cultural genocide to try and turn the Irish into compliant 'Englishmen'- and gaelic sport was still strongly opposed by the ruling English ruling establishment (that continued to strongly promote and assist the English codes) until the Irish finally gained their freedom in 1922.

Suffice to say Croke Park has a history that is more than just sporting and has as a result become a symbol of Irishness and nationalism. Keep in mind, it was the scene of the Bloody Sunday massacre of 1921, when the British auxiliary Black & Tans burst into the stadium during the Dublin v Tipperary match and proceeded to machine-gun the crowd and players! The Black & Tans (British terrorist auxiliaries) who conducted this massacre were prominent in RU circles. It was in honour of one of the players shot that the original Hogan Stand got its name. Hill 16, meanwhile, named after the Easter Rising of 1916, was actually constructed from the rubble remaining in O'Connell Street - then Sackville Street - after that insurrection.

The behaviour of the Auxiliaries and the Black and Tans during the Irish War of Independence, most of it secretly sanctioned and approved, helped turn the Irish public against the Crown. Some British politicians and the King made no secret of their horror at the behaviour of Crown forces. The mass murder of men, women and children, both spectators and football players, made international headlines, damaging British credibility.

The indiscrimate Bloody Sunday Croke Park massacre of men, women and children (one child was even bayoneted to death) caused such international outrage and revulsion as well as in Ireland itself, that British rule in Ireland was fatally undermined, leading to freedom to most of Ireland the following year. The events of Bloody Sunday have survived in Irish public memory.

With this sort of history and background, which has been neither forgotten or forgiven by many Irish, its hardly surprising that many Irish (namely the majority that support the GAA) are most reluctant to allow any English sports onto their sacred Irish turf.
At the expense of Irish teams playing for Ireland. I am by no means suggesting that we welcome the English national soccer or union teams to play there. That would probably be suicide for all concerned (quite literally). But is there really an issue with playing Six Nations against France or World Cup qualifyers against Switzerland? The "English games" argument is largely just a conservative GAA furfy thrown up as a blanket reason for denying rival sports use of the ground. What I see in Ireland is a people more than happy to use the English Westminster form of government, more than happy to holiday or take weekend trips in the English capital, more than happy to follow and back a favourite team in English Premier League. The sentiment around Croke Park is very selective (hypocritical) and I believe is not nearly as strong among the general populus as the GAA would have us think. And it is one that ultimately doesn't hold water in the light of the fact the GAA are prepared to let them use it while Lansdowne is redeveloped. Once they've done that and unholied their sacred ground is there really any point in going back? Yet we continue to plan the other ground on the exact assumption that we will go back to a situation of no Croke Park access for rival sports. No matter what the historical argument thrown up, that just doesn't make sense to me.

Leigh.

britishspud
Silver

Post by britishspud »

The new Lansdowne will be constructed with dimensions suitable for GAA sports. It's been part of the plan from day one and I believe a condition of Government funding. What's the difference really? 150m is a 100m union playing field plus two 20 metre in-goals with a bit of dead ball space. 90m is 68m union playing field with 10m of dead space each side. Given that the minimum GAA field dimensions are 130m x 80m the stadium ultimately shouldn't end up much different to any other purpose built union ground in the world.
why should landowns rd be construted with dimensions to play gaelic sports when the GAA have done f**k all to help the IFA??? in fact they've bent over backward to do them over.......

f**k it, i'm not irish so i don't care it's their money

quidgybo
Silver

Post by quidgybo »

As I said what's the difference really? It's not going to fundamentally undermine the RU and soccer uses of the ground to make the accomodation for future GAA use. Hopefully the useful life of this new stadium will outlast the existing environment of self interest by many many years. How stupid will it be when they find they can't make full use of the stadium because they deliberately built themselves into a corner to f**k over the other guy? This has got to stop somewhere and really it's up to the Irish government to make sure it stops now before any more tax payers money is wasted duplicating facilities.

Leigh

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Bad Luck to the Irish fans missing out on going to the game, I would be devastated if this happened to me.

www.foxsports.com.au

A FIRE has damaged part of the Lansdowne Road stadium in Dublin ahead of Saturday's Test between Ireland and New Zealand, the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) said overnight.

According to RTE state television, about 7,000 seats, a seventh of the 49,250 capacity stadium will be closed for the clash.

"Owing to the outbreak of a small fire, the Irish Rugby Football Union regrets that the North Terrace at Lansdowne Road will be closed," the IRFU said in a statement on its website.

"The North Terrace has had to be temporarily closed to allow time for a full safety inspection due to the fire which occured in a confined area," the statement said, adding that the fire broke out in a void space beneath the terrace.

Ticket holders for the terrace were asked not to come to the ground.

"The IRFU regrets the North Terrace closure and the disappointment and inconvenience caused," the statement said.

The 2:30 pm (1430 GMT) match is the second on the All Blacks' British Isles tour, having defeated Six Nations Grand Slam heroes Wales 41-3 in Cardiff on November 5. Ireland have never beaten New Zealand.

The All Blacks play England on November 19 and Scotland on November 26.

The IRFU have a week to get the North Terrace open again before their Test against Australia on November 19. Ireland then welcome Romania on November 26.

Lansdowne Road, rugby union's oldest continually used Test ground since it welcomed England back in 1878, will undergo a two-year, 250-million-euro (293-million-dollar) redevelopment, starting next year.
Under the plan the historic venue, which still features standing-room only terraces, will be turned into a 50,000 all-seater stadium.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Bugger!

kilonewton
Bronze

Post by kilonewton »

Should have taken more notice of this. I would have ordered a ticket for this afternoon's match. By the time the new Landsdown Road is built, I'll have more than likely returned to Australia.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

is that part of their re-development stratagy?

Boba Fett
Silver

Re: Lansdowne Road redevelopment

Post by Boba Fett »

http://www.avivastadium.ie/index.aspx

Well, the new Lansdowne Rd is up and running, with a new commercial sponsors name. A shame but inevitable...

Can't work out whether I think the stadium looks all wrong and lopsided, or that it's kind of cool and individual. Rugby internationals seem to be filling or close to filling Croke Park during the redevelopment period, so I wonder whether the 50,000 capacity will be too small?

IanRitchie
Platinum

Re: Lansdowne Road redevelopment

Post by IanRitchie »

it's deflating.