New New York Stadium -

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
redback_original
Silver

New New York Stadium -

Post by redback_original »

The New York Jets and New York Football Giants have broke ground on their new stadium - the 'New Meadowlands' - once again located outside New York in New Jersey.

The Jets had originally drafted plans for an inner-city stadium of their own but after New York's failed Olympic bid those dreams were scrapped.

As has been done elsewhere, the stadium will change color depending on the home team.

It'll be big (by NFL standards) - a capacity of 82,500..

While I know the old Giants stadium is certainly looking pretty tired..and the New Meadowlands does look good..

I just wish they had've gone for something completely innovative and world first..

It seems that Texas will continue to have the best NFL stadiums - with Reliant (still the best stadium in the world) and the new Cowboys digs - far and away better than this New Jersey offering.

http://p.nyjets.com/image_assets/galler ... 1189008691

http://p.nyjets.com/image_assets/galler ... 1189008605

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

where in relation to New york is this stadium in the second pic?

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

the crow wrote:where in relation to New york is this stadium in the second pic?
New Jersey - same Meadowlands complex.

britishspud
Silver

Post by britishspud »

the crow wrote:where in relation to New york is this stadium in the second pic?
behind the camera i think

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

This is as good a thread as any. The NY Yankees played their last game at Yankee Stadium overnight. They will move to the New Yankee Stadium next year. The architects at HOK Sports have gone for a retro facade in their design. I'm quite a fan.

Reminds me of the ASB Stand at Eden Puke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee_Stadium_(2009)

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

The Mets are also moving to a new retro-style ballpark next door to Shea next season. Both new stadiums have significantly lower capacities than the stadiums they'll replace (roughly 40k each down from approx 50k).

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

I approve of the new Yankee Stadium and Citi :wank: Field.

broncos
Silver

Post by broncos »

I always find it amazing about US stadia that they'll build a completely new stadium instead of renovating the old one. I suppose the stadiums are that large you may as well start again.

redback_original
Silver

Post by redback_original »

broncos wrote:I always find it amazing about US stadia that they'll build a completely new stadium instead of renovating the old one. I suppose the stadiums are that large you may as well start again.
Yes - they do seem more inclined in the NFL (Lambeau being a notable exception) to start from scratch in the parking lot across the road. It's a bit different with the college stadium where they seem to do more piecemeal upgrades.

But goes back to the American model of complete stadiums as oppossed to the UK model of a 'collection of stands'.