World Cup 2010 Africa

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

Incidently, the final list of venues are:

Bloemfontein: Free State Stadium [40k]
Cape Town: African Renaissance Stadium (to be built) [68k]
Durban: King Senzangakhona Stadium (to be built) [60k]
Johannesburg: Soccer City [94.7k] and Ellis Park [60k]
Nelspruit: Mbombela Stadium (to be built) [40k]
Polokwane: Peter Mokaba Stadium [40k]
Port Elizabeth: Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium (to be built) [50k]
Pretoria: Loftus Versfeld Stadium [52k]
Rustenburg: Royal Bafokeng Stadium [40k]

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

rugby union will take them over as that where the corporate dollar is....

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

The new Senzangakhona sport stadium unveiled

15 June, 2006

FUTURISTIC: 2010 and beyond - the new Senzangakhone stadium will be a world-class multi-purpose sporting facility

The new Senzangakhona Stadium, unveiled this morning at Durban's ICC by KwaZulu-Natal's Premier Sbu Ndebele and eThekwini Mayor Councillor Obed Mlaba, will be a world-class stadium.

The new stadium will be built on the site of the existing King's Park stadium and has been designed as a first-class multi-purpose sporting facility.

The project has been awarded to the Ibhola Lethu consortium.

Projected capital expenditure on construction of the stadium is R1,6 billion, making it the most ambitious construction project undertaken in South Africa to date.

The stadium will be built to comply with international safety and security standards.

Senzangakhona stadium key features
The stadium will have a seating capacity for 70 000 people.
The arches will be 100m high.
The stadium will cover 320 x 280 square metres and will be 45m in height.
Important milestones
Physical demolition of the existing stadium will take place end June.
Building construction will begin towards the end of the year.

personaly i think durban could do alot better than that......it was supposed to be an african icon..the german architecture group GMP has won this one, capetown and port Elizabeth....i just hope they have the capacityto do it...

taken from attached link (i dont know how to attach photos)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthrea ... e=28&pp=20

dysan1
Bronze

Post by dysan1 »

hey guys...have put all the stuff relating to the new durban stadium in its own thread.

Cape Town should release their design at the end of July...the others we wait...

dysan1
Bronze

Post by dysan1 »

the stadiums will mainly be used for soccer afterwards, since it is the most popular sport in south africa. Games between top teams fill the current 52 000 absa stadium to the rafters and the games against Manchester united in Durban in July are already sold out.

Some of the stadiums have 40k for the WC, but some of the will be temporary stands and they will have a permanent capacity of between 20k and 30k.

I dont think government and the cities would be foolish enough to build monster permanent stadiums in small towns when they will never fill 40 000 ever again

Steady
Bronze

Post by Steady »

i dono how long it takes to build a stadium of the size alot of these Sth African ones are gonna be but, i hope im the only one thinking that they may have trouble doing all this in 4yrs or less, look how long Wembley has taken to be rebuilt. anyway Sth Africa has the best locations of stadiums basicaly anywhere in the world, so they should all look preaty damn good when finished

dysan1
Bronze

Post by dysan1 »

Well for some not much work needs to be done. Also dont forget that the design features of these stadia are nothing like the complicated mess that is wembley. Building costs in South Africa are also far cheaper than the UK and i'm sure cheaper than Oz.

I dont think that time for the stadiums will be an issue, for all have to start by feb 2007 at the lastest, and 2 years for some of these basic structures is not unfathomable to achieve.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

Steady wrote:i dono how long it takes to build a stadium of the size alot of these Sth African ones are gonna be but, i hope im the only one thinking that they may have trouble doing all this in 4yrs or less, look how long Wembley has taken to be rebuilt. anyway Sth Africa has the best locations of stadiums basicaly anywhere in the world, so they should all look preaty damn good when finished
Telstra Stadium was started in August 1996 and completed in March 1999.2 years ,7 months to complete a 110,000 HUGE modern all seater.

Dont compare everything to Wembley considering the cockups outside Multiplexs' control.

I cant see too much off a problem for the Saffies.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

If Australia plays in South Africa which cities would forumites prefer for their group games?

Cape Town, Port Elizabeth and Durban would be mine.

What's the distance between Jo'burg and Pretoria?

dysan1
Bronze

Post by dysan1 »

Joburg CBD and Pretoria CBD are 60km apart, but all the action in joburg takes place in Sandton and the other northern suburbs. from there to Pretoria is only 35km, BUT traffic on the N1 between the cities is horrendous!! wil take over 2 hours in peak traffic. The Gautrain rapid rail line should be open between Pretoria and Sandton by then which will take 18min to do the trip.

I would reccomend Durban or PE or any city on the east coast to be based in, for our winter is mild. I have been on the beach today, its 26C and you only get the odd cold day, and no rain.

Cape Town on the otherhand is normally around 15C each day and rains alot with gale force winds on occassion, since winter is their rainy and windy season. So not much beach time to be had...but then again you guys in Oz have the same great summer as us so maybe u wld be willing to deal with all that?

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

multies also did sydney.....they just didnt have crap contractors like they do on wembly

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

hot_dogma wrote:If Australia plays in South Africa which cities would forumites prefer for their group games?

Yes, but I will probably be able to get free accomodation in Joburg...so that heavily weighs in that city's favour.

Heard so many good things about Cape Town...and people from Uni (yes hot chicks) say Durban is awesome.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Egan wrote:
hot_dogma wrote:If Australia plays in South Africa which cities would forumites prefer for their group games?

Yes, but I will probably be able to get free accomodation in Joburg...so that heavily weighs in that city's favour.

Heard so many good things about Cape Town...and people from Uni (yes hot chicks) say Durban is awesome.
Oh those two...bail them up in the courtyard next time to get more info.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

According to the South African representatives I have been talking to, apparently Durban is the city that most people have moved from to Perth.

HD - Well they already said they are going to take me to Durban for the World Cup :lol: 8)

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Egan wrote:According to the South African representatives I have been talking to, apparently Durban is the city that most people have moved from to Perth.
And that means Durban is a great place?