Stadiums you've been to?

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
Simmo79
Platinum

Re: Stadiums you've been to?

Post by Simmo79 »

I saw a game from the Den when Millwall were in the play-offs. Fkn cracking atmosphere for such a small ground.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

^^ What game was it? How did you find their fans? Is the reputation still warranted?

They've done a lot right with the ground. Stands of even height, excellent seat row gradient and an extended roofline on the grandstands.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Er, I meant on TV. FWIW they were loud and proud... on TV

it was like this over and over http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FhfL4Jo ... re=related

kilonewton
Bronze

Post by kilonewton »

After getting tickets for matches at Nottingham Forest and Doncaster and not being able to go :evil: , finally got to my first away match of the Championship season last night, Middlesborough v Leeds at The Riverside. Big step up from some of the crapholes in League 1! Not well sited, there's a stadium, and post-industrial wasteland for about a mile around. Although, it could be said that the whole of Middlesborough is a post-industrial wasteland.
Having the match at 5:20pm for TV wasn't a good idea, they didn't shut the pubs beforehand so there was a large number of smashed idiots. The walk back to the car was somewhat fraught!

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Great win by Leeds though! 2-1. Going very nicely up in the Championship.
Middlesborough appear to be in a bit of trouble?
What was the crowd?

kilonewton
Bronze

Post by kilonewton »

Becchio's winner was outstanding.
23550 was the crowd, around 4000 Leeds, + 1 in the home end who couldn't control his excitement after the 1st goal and was dragged out by the Cleveland police for his own protection.
The return fixture on New Years Day has been moved forward to 1pm at the request of the West Yorkshire police. Not much chance of me going regardless, get back from Melbourne at 5:30am New Years Eve. I may be a little tired.

Strachan just quit Boro today.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

kilonewton wrote:Becchio's winner was outstanding.
23550 was the crowd, around 4000 Leeds, + 1 in the home end who couldn't control his excitement after the 1st goal and was dragged out by the Cleveland police for his own protection.
The return fixture on New Years Day has been moved forward to 1pm at the request of the West Yorkshire police. Not much chance of me going regardless, get back from Melbourne at 5:30am New Years Eve. I may be a little tired.

Strachan just quit Boro today.
Is there any shithole in the UK that you haven't visited yet?

kilonewton
Bronze

Post by kilonewton »

bazza wrote: Is there any shithole in the UK that you haven't visited yet?
Manchester 8)

AussieSox
Bronze

Post by AussieSox »

Outside Aus i have just been to;

Basin Res - Wellington
Done the tour and watched a 4th of July match at Fenway Park, Boston - Awesome!

Going to Flushing Meadow and hopefully Rolen Garos next year

kilonewton
Bronze

Post by kilonewton »

Carrow Road, Norwich and Madejski Stadium, Reading over the last two weeks.

Carrow Road very good. The Canaries turn up in big numbers, first time I'd ever score it a draw in the "fans atmosphere" when Leeds are playing. 1-1 draw, record all seated attendance (not that 70% of the fans were sitting!) at the time, broken again today for the Old Farm Derby, as they apparently needed more segregation for us "dirty Leeds" fans than for the local derby. :?

Madejski, boring flat pack on the edge of town, rubbish park and ride system. Plus it was the coldest I've ever been at a sporting event. Seriously didn't get above freezing on the drive over, and even the "hard" Northerners were complaining about the cold. 0-0 draw.

kilonewton
Bronze

Post by kilonewton »

MRS in ol' Melbourne town. Much better than most of the "new" stadia that have been built over here. Although the quality of the match (Victory 2, Glory 0) left a lot to be desired.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Yeah we are a bit sh*t...

kilonewton
Bronze

Post by kilonewton »

Fratton Park, Portsmouth. Crap town, crap ground.
The floodlights failed 2.5 times. First occasion, it was during the first half so there was enough natural light and residual light from the remaining lights (only half of them went out) for the game to continue. Second and third occasions all the lights went out during the second half so the game was halted. 14 minutes extra. The ground announcer over the PA claimed it was a power problem affecting all of Portsmouth. Perhaps he was unaware that we could see the street lights, house lights and neon signs on the shopping centre across the road through the gaps between the stands.

Missed the Arsenal FA Cup match due to the massive demand. The Leeds website went into meltdown, as it did again yesterday when the remaining away games opened for application. I was attempting for two hours to get an application in for Palace, and QPR is a "loyalty" fixture, so I reckon my away days are finished for this season.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Someone else was having lighting issues recently as well weren't they, Scunthorpe's Glanford Park comes to mind. Seems strange to have it happen twice in month.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Remember that time at ...(was it Charlton or Palace?) when the lights failed and it was found to have been sabotage traced back to a betting syndicate?