Stadiums you've been to?

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
saintgong
Bronze

Re: Stadiums you've been to?

Post by saintgong »

5 Favorites -
Inönü Stadi, Istanbul
Camp Randall, Madison, WI
Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne
WIN Stadium, Wollongong
AMI Stadium, Christchurch

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

What's the Bombonera like?

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

I recently visited Europe for a few weeks and had the chance to visit a few stadiums in Munich, Barcelona and London. Below are a few photos I took and my thoughts. Go to my flickr to view all the photos I've uploaded: http://www.flickr.com/photos/camvoss/se ... 7151780653

Barcelona Olympic Stadium
A historic venue. Was free entry to walk in and have a look which was great! Originally built in 1927. It looked quite small to me. Apparently holds 56,000 at the moment - was 67,000 during the 1992 Olympics. Is located on top of a hill along with the other Olympic venues which I found amazing. Still plays host to quite a bit of sport. There was a Rugby 7's event upcoming. And last year it held the Athletics world champs.

Camp Nou
Words that come to mind: Massive, Historic, Old.
Kind of reminds me of Waverley Park but upgraded with new seats and player facilities. The spectator facilities are way outdated. Still an awesome venue, and not just the main stadium, but the other FC Barcelona facilities that surround it. The amount of people that visit the joint is amazing. Seating capacity of just under 100k - the largest in Europe.

Lords Cricket Ground
A beautiful cricket venue. However I was surprised with the facilities in the main pavilion. Yes it's historic, however it looks like they haven't spent any money keeping it up-to-date. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to go to more venues in London. I hoped to get to Wembley. Next time.

Munich Olympic Stadium
Despite Bayern Munich moving on to Allianz Arena, this venue still plays host to quite a few events as Allianz only plays host to soccer. So all concerts etc are held here. As you can see in the photo, they had just held some car racing/stunts event, hence the surface. Not many facilities here, just plenty of seats. Think it holds about 55k for memory. Also took a photo of the seats that convert to standing room (which are also in place at Allianz), check the flickr album.

Allianz Arena
Despite what I go on to say here, it's still a superb venue. 69,000 seat capacity. But, it's quite basic, not many bells & whistles. Has quite a boring look about it on the inside. The concourses don't have tv screens etc, seems to be a concrete jungle. I'd take the MCG any day! Takes about 10-15 minutes to walk from the train station, and it's a very boring walk, like walking over a wasteland, however I then found out I was actually walking over a 10,000-space carpark - the largest in Europe.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Thanks, Cam.

Re Munich, and the convertible terracing, did you sit down in one of those? I'm thinking the horizontal back a the top of the "crush barrier" would impede viewing when in seating mode. Also, was that permanent standing in the background, behind the aseats on the wing?

Barcelona's awesome. Best city I've been to in Europe. Apparently the streets around Montjuic, the Barcelona Olympic precinct, used to be a motor racing circuit and a dangerous one at that.

Shame you didn't see it all but you've always got to leave something to go back to.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Its funny you mention that. I thought of the exact some thing, so I sat down and took the following photo at my eye level. I'm 6'1. I guess you wouldn't want to be any smaller otherwise it would impede your view.

Yeah that's permanent standing room. Not sure if it's always been like that or a change.
Loved Barcelona, was my fav place I went to. The area around the Olympic venues is amazing. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to get more photos - the diving venue has quite a view of the city!

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Munich stadium still has one of the best roofs on a stadium...Lords is a bit of a mess, built on a hill but the media pod is fantastic, one of my favorite bits of sports architecture. Allianz Is very German... Love the stairs leading from the concourse to the upper bowl, did you see it at night Cam? Nice trip.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

cam wrote:Its funny you mention that. I thought of the exact some thing, so I sat down and took the following photo at my eye level. I'm 6'1. I guess you wouldn't want to be any smaller otherwise it would impede your view
I'm 173cm (5'8'') so it'd be a crap view for me or I'd keep my head down.
cam wrote:Loved Barcelona, was my fav place I went to. The area around the Olympic venues is amazing. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to get more photos - the diving venue has quite a view of the city!
I've mentioned this before. Different web sources say that this pool was used for the Kylie Minogue video clip, Slow. In the first 30 seconds, before the video descends into a massive sausage-fest, you see a diver dive off the 10m platform.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1gido ... slow_music

Some sources say it was the Municipal Pool on the other side of the athletics track. Either way, the video gives you and idea of the view.

Between her an Kieren Perkins, Aussies have made their mark at that complex.

kilonewton
Bronze

Post by kilonewton »

Boylen Ground, Upton Park, West Ham

kilonewton
Bronze

Post by kilonewton »

Photos from earlier...

Carrow Road, Norwich

Fratton Park, Portsmouth

Would love to say I'll have photos of Brighton's new stadium in a few weeks, but alas the Leeds ticket website screwed up and I missed out.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

I love seating portraits. I think it's PNE who've done it as well.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

^ They have. I've seen a couple of photos on flickr where specators are pretending to pick the nose of the player depicted.

kilonewton
Bronze

Post by kilonewton »

King Power (formerly Walkers) Stadium, Leicester. 1-0 win to Leeds, get in.
The helicopter delivered the match ball, as part of the poppy appeal.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Leicester Tigers also play there sometimes but buggered if there's enough grass for an ingoal area, let alone run-off space.

kilonewton
Bronze

Post by kilonewton »

Simmo79 wrote:Leicester Tigers also play there sometimes but buggered if there's enough grass for an ingoal area, let alone run-off space.
Only really when they have to host in a "neutral" stadium, like Heineken Cup semis. Most of the Guinness Premiership clubs that play as tenants (London Irish, Saracens, Wasps etc) have the same issues.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

That seems to be a very nice stadium.