NCAA Division 1-A football stadiums (bandwidth warning)

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
adamsputnik
Bronze

Post by adamsputnik »

sandyhill wrote:
Simmo79 wrote:... Anyone interested in a recap of the season just gone?
Yes please.
I'll help with that recap if you'd like, though with a bunch of conferences and 119 schools it'll have to be pretty concise!

Alley
Bronze

Post by Alley »

Tell us more about this guy!

http://img147.imagevenue.com/img.php?lo ... smokey.jpg

Is this sleepy completely unferocious-looking dog seriously your university mascot?
That's our mascot Smokey...named after the Smokey Mountains in east Tennessee. This Smokey is still young (plus as you can see in the photo it's pre-game)...he recently replaced Smokey VIII (deceased) who was older and much more animated. During the game though Smokey IX livens up...

The Georgia mascot just rolls around on a bag of ice during their games. Plus, he has a dog house down by the endzone.

Here are some youtube links to some of last year's games in Neyland Stadium:

Tennesse pre-game sampling against Florida (our band plays the other teams fight song...this explains the booing when the announcer says orange and blue...Florida's colors): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZsO1Npw ... ed&search=
LSU fans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHOHmc4O ... ed&search=
Hooters Girl Hope Wilhoit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8gLjR8z ... ed&search=
Band Pre-Game (Cal Game): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqH1pegU ... ed&search=

V-O-L-S! Go Vols Go!

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

bump in my pants

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

For those girls' sake I hope none of them have IBS.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Whatever's distracting those blokes in the foreground must be pretty good...

alabakiwi
Bronze

Post by alabakiwi »

So yesterday I saw the most absurd thing: 92,000 people turned out to watch a practice game in which the A-squad played the B-squad (The A-Day Game) at UA. It was free entry and they had to turn people away during the first quarter. Here's a wide angle photo from the Tuscaloosa News.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/2 ... 20380/1007

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

for the mouth-breathers who think the mexican wave is "cool" (from the same spring practice game)

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com ... 3#comments

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

and we're back to celebrate the start of the new NCAA season :D

#18 Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, University of Texas (Austin, Texas) Big XII conference.

Capacity: 85,123 (temp)

A charter member of the Southwest Conference until its dissolution in 1996, the Texas Longhorns now compete in the Big 12 Conference (South Division). The University of Texas has traditionally been considered a college football powerhouse, having earned four National Championships, including one to conclude the 2005-2006 season. Texas ranks as the third most winning program in college football history, in terms of both total wins and win percentage. As of the end of the 2006 season, the Longhorns' all-time record is 810-312-33 (.716). Only Notre Dame and the University of Michigan have won more games and a greater percentage of games played than Texas.

The university's biggest in-state rival is Texas A&M University, although UT considers the Oklahoma Sooners to also be important rivals in football, especially in recent years due to the prominence of both programs. Other teams, such as Arkansas and the smaller Texan teams also consider the Longhorns to be their rivals but it’s not really reciprocated.

Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, located in Austin, Texas, is home to the University of Texas Longhorn football team. The current official stadium capacity is 85,123, the largest football venue in the state, the largest in the Big 12 Conference, and the tenth largest on-campus stadium in the NCAA.

The University’s record attendance is 89,442 on September 9, 2006 for the Longhorns' 24-7 loss to the Ohio State Buckeyes. That set a new record for the greatest number of people ever to gather for a football game in the state.

The stadium is named in honour of the Texans who fought in World War I as well as after legendary football coach Darrell K. Royal, who led Texas to three national championships and eleven Southwest Conference titles.

On completion in 1924, the first unit of the stadium consisted of the east and west stands with a seating capacity of 27,000. It was designed as a dual-purpose facility with a 440-yard athletic track surrounding the football field. The stadium was financed through donations from both students and alumni. The estimated cost of the structure was $275,000.

1926 - "Horseshoe" built on the north end for US$125,000 raising capacity to 40,500.

1948 - additional sections added to the east and west stands, raising seating capacity to 60,130.

1972 - Upper deck added to the west side raising seating capacity to 75,504

1998 - 5,000-seat upper deck added on east side including fifty-two new stadium suites and a 13,000-square-foot private club room

1999 - Track removed; new seats added to the west grandstand and the field was lowered seven feet to accommodate new front-row and field-level seats on the east and west grandstands bringing capacity to 80,082

West Stand

2005 – Godzillatron installed (at the time, the largest TV in the world) with 6,400 temporary bleacher seats installed below.
Godzillatron from the old horseshoe north stand – note how far back the stand is from the pitch. Fortunately, the death of the running track allows the new stand to be 30 metres closer.

Current – construction of new multi-deck North Endzone stand. The expansion also includes additional seats with an upper deck, club space, suites, athletic offices, academic-advising areas and a basement with gym space. Stadium capacity overall will rise to more than 90,000 from the current 85,123. It is being built to the same design as the East stand:-

Old North end being demolished

Last season was the start of a rebuilding phase for the Longhorns after they lost most of their national championship team to graduation and the NFL (esp. Vice Young who made a big difference in his first season at QB for the Titans). The horns beat Oklahoma but lost at home to Texas A&M. They finished ranked 5th in the conference and played in the Alamo Bowl against Iowa who had placed 8th in the Big Ten conference. The Longhorns narrowly defeated the Hawkeyes 26-24. At home, UT averaged 88,505 fans to its 7 home games.

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

Anyone else ever get the feeling they missed out on something by going to uni in Australia?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Timbo wrote:Anyone else ever get the feeling they missed out on something by going to uni in Australia?
A bigger debt?

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

not neccesarily - private unis are very expensive but if you're an in-state student at a public university like all the "University of [state name]" and [state name] State University" students you'd be paying pretty much HECS level tution costs for undergrad education. Little different to what most of us on here have done.

And they usually have better sporting programs than the private universities - all the stadiums in this thread so far have been at public universities.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

and I forgot to mention - separated at birth

University of Texas Logo

Female Reproductive system

Anthony G
Silver

Post by Anthony G »

Simmo79 wrote: Image
I struggle to understand the engineering behind this stadium.
I can understand the horseshoe section due to the fact that it used to have a running track around the field. But how come the top tiers are so far back? Bringing them in closer to the action has to be a bonus. I also notice that the south end is untouched. Is this due to the building at the end. Possible extension to the back of the eastern stand possible? looks to be room above the building behind the east stand (similiar to the west stand being infront and above its building). I guess it would come down to the strength of the building.

Must admit. I am amazed @ 80k showing up for a college football game

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Anthony G wrote: I struggle to understand the engineering behind this stadium.
I can understand the horseshoe section due to the fact that it used to have a running track around the field. But how come the top tiers are so far back? Bringing them in closer to the action has to be a bonus. I also notice that the south end is untouched. Is this due to the building at the end. Possible extension to the back of the eastern stand possible? looks to be room above the building behind the east stand (similiar to the west stand being infront and above its building). I guess it would come down to the strength of the building.
I've seen artists impressions of how DKR-Memorial stadium will look in the long run and the intention is that it will be fully enclosed with both the North (currently being done) and the South end (with the temp seating and Godzillatron) having stands based on the design of the east stand. I don't know why they didn't run with the design of the West stand which IMO is better, because the top tier is larger. Eventual capacity would be something like 115,000.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=e ... &z=18&om=1
Anthony G wrote: Must admit. I am amazed @ 80k showing up for a college football game
then you need to check this link out - there are 17 universities that average over 80,000 per game, 57 that average over 40,000.

http://www.ncaa.org/stats/football/atte ... ndance.pdf

Anthony G
Silver

Post by Anthony G »

Thats absolutely insane! 80k per game for college football. can you imagine if one of Australia's uni's had a 115k stadium :shock: