Azadi Stadium

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

:lol:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

hot_dogma wrote:
Imagine an Azadi PAX? :shock: :lol:
ROFL Hard

:lol:

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

The Word Of PAX has spread. Shall we convert yon Heathens?

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

It doesnt look capable of 120,000 crowds but it all comes down to terracing.
Its probably likely that they have bolted seats to old teracing as have happened in many old stadiums and this would have reduced capacity with the large capacity given being outdated.

That stadionwelt site also gives the MCG capacity as 120,000

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

I used to think such 100,000 stadiums were a thing of the past, certainly in europe where the number of such stadiums have gone from many to none, but there are some suggestions, rumours they could return.

Athletico Madrid recently announced plans for a 120,000 stadium funded by selling their city centre ground. It seems way too big and they suggest to build at very low cost so its probably unlikely to be so big.

Real Madrid also had some plans to go just over 100,000 but I think it was scrapped or put on hold. The same for Barcelona who hardly need it either.
Wembley will be 90,000 but offers enormous space and I would expect it to expand close to 100,000 by wasting less space if they can prove the infrastructure can handle 90,000 crowds without chaos.
Old Trafford will almost certainly reach around 90,000 before long and Bayern Munich are facing unprecented demand at their new venue and could possibly expand to 80,000 though that would include lots of terracing, still allowed in Germany. It is already expanding up to 70,000
The lower tier is probably too steep to allow a large scale expansion.

The biggest in Europe could eventually be Twickenham. Its build so its possible and the demand is easily there. Transport would be a nightmare to solve and the cost of a 4th tier huge so its obviously decades away but several years ago the RFU apparently considered to go to 120,000 and that might possibly have been without the current development suggesting that an overall capacity beyond 130,000 could be reached.

Such capacities will almost certainly be reached by US college stadiums where the latest planned expansion,( forgot where,) is making the top US capacity 114,000 but its very unlikely to end there.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

swede wrote:Wembley will be 90,000 but offers enormous space and I would expect it to expand close to 100,000 by wasting less space if they can prove the infrastructure can handle 90,000 crowds without chaos.
Good Point, sorry for changing topics...but is the reason why Subiaco Oval can not be expanded and is why the Jandakot site is a much better option.

But on Wembley, I think they will be staying at 90,000 after the latest dramas...don't you :lol:

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

swede wrote: Such capacities will almost certainly be reached by US college stadiums where the latest planned expansion,( forgot where,) is making the top US capacity 114,000 but its very unlikely to end there.
I think that was a reference to Uni Texas' Royal Memorial Stadium in Austin. It's current expansion plan is to up the 80,000 capacity to 90,000 by bring in one endzone closer to the pitch and adding a second deck. The design will allow for 114,000 in the long run by filling in both endzones with double-decked stands.

Home of the Longhorns

from that one you can see how far behind goal-line the seating is - soon to be modified.

The Longhorns are the national champions after winning the bowl championship game at the Rose Bowl against the University of Southern California last month. A certain former Texas governor who (necessarily) lived in Austin for a while has found himself in an absolute storm of controversy which the vast right-wing conspiracy in the yank media has refused to investigate :P
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20 ... _satan.htm

I'm gonna start a thread on College stadiums shortly. Just too good a discussion not to have.

eff_see
Bronze

Post by eff_see »

Why is it 100,000+ stadiums arent being built anymore?

And I guess you guys are the people to ask.. Theoretically, is it possible to build a 200,000 stadium?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

eff_see wrote:Why is it 100,000+ stadiums arent being built anymore?

And I guess you guys are the people to ask.. Theoretically, is it possible to build a 200,000 stadium?
Well as Swede highlighted, a lot of places are more concentrating on getting atmosphere then fitting as many people in as once.

It costs more the more seats you fit in, it is less economically viable and if you are not a big country, building a 100,000 seat stadium that is used for only a few Soccer Matches, they are not that packed.

We also have the worsening facilities in Maracana and many of the South American Stadiums...which used to have a capacity of over 100,000.

As soon as you put seats in you will lose capacity.

May Day Stadium is referred to as the largest Stadium in the world by most people in Pyongyang North Korea with a capacity of 150,000.

I doubt any government will ever build a 200,000 seat stadium...its probably near on impossible.

eff_see
Bronze

Post by eff_see »

Heres some pics of Azadi btw:

eff_see
Bronze

Post by eff_see »

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

eff_see wrote:Why is it 100,000+ stadiums arent being built anymore?

All of Europe´s old 100,000+ stadium either included lots of standing or were poor athletics stadiums. Hampden Park had crowds unofficially around 180,000 but were extremly basic.

The model european stadium, the kind of stadium a top european club would strive for today is probably something like the Luz in Lisbon. 65,000 quality seats, a manageble size. Bigger stadium only offers increased costs for poorer views and serious traffic concerns.

As posted above it does seem that some clubs will slowly go higher, perhaps even a lot higher as it may become more affordable in the future and if they can attract the crowds.

In theory I think a 200,000 venue is possible if you combined a big Future US college stadium with lots of standing as is still allowed in Germany. Not going to happen, though.
I think there will be stadiums going up to perhaps 150,000 seats in the future mainly US college stadiums, though perhaps Twickenham as well.

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

Egan wrote:
swede wrote:Wembley will be 90,000 but offers enormous space and I would expect it to expand close to 100,000 by wasting less space if they can prove the infrastructure can handle 90,000 crowds without chaos.
Good Point, sorry for changing topics...but is the reason why Subiaco Oval can not be expanded and is why the Jandakot site is a much better option.

But on Wembley, I think they will be staying at 90,000 after the latest dramas...don't you :lol:
It will certainly stay at 90,000 for a few years to prove they can handle the crowds well.but beyond that I would expect expansions. Not in any real structural way just more seats closer together in the same space.

there is an enormous waste of space, which is probably connected to it being much easier to get planning permission if capacity is lower but IF they can handle it they can reapply for a larger capacity.

They say there is 30% more space per seat in new Wembley meaning capacity would be 117,000 with the old seat space and though they may not go that far, I think they could move to 100,000 simply by offering the same space per seat as Twickenham or Old trafford and just leave the extreme space to the most expensive seats.

Wembley will apparently also have very spacey access areas etc behind the stands , very much prepared to handle large crowds, so I would think it happens at some point if train stations and such things can cope well enough to satisfy the council.

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

After looking at the the photos supplied by Eff See, its clear that another reason for Azadi's high capacity is the large arena area that the stands encompass, as compared to a tight rectangular stadium configration. A simple rule is that the larger the arena area, the higher would be the capacity if all stadiums had identical stands. The actual arena at Azari - like Maracana - looks big enough to comfortably accommodate an AFL game (disregarding the athletics track).
swede wrote:Wembley will be 90,000 but offers enormous space and I would expect it to expand close to 100,000 by wasting less space ... They say there is 30% more space per seat in new Wembley meaning capacity would be 117,000 with the old seat space and though they may not go that far, I think they could move to 100,000 simply by offering the same space per seat as Twickenham or Old trafford and just leave the extreme space to the most expensive seats.

Wembley will apparently also have very spacey access areas etc behind the stands , very much prepared to handle large crowds, so I would think it happens at some point if train stations and such things can cope well enough to satisfy the council.
This is exactly the same situation at the MCG with the new Northern Stand - wider seats and 30% more leg room than the GSS. Reasons being - people are getting bigger and taller each generation, and also demanding more comfort. I doubt very much that either stadium would revert back to putting the squeeze on spectators once they get used to the new standards of comfort.

In regards to capacity limits - besides mostly nearly all seating (and bigger more comfortable seats and legroom) in new stadiums, the other big factor reducing capacity from old megalithic stands are corporate facilites, which take up heaps of space (e.g. MCG and Docklands) for relatively little added to the total capacity. Thats also another reason why newer NCAA stadiums have an advantage in upping there capacity compared to pro leagues heavily dependent on corporate support.
Last edited by sandyhill on Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Love the look of the stadium and its surrounds. The whole "partially buried" look resembles the Aquatic Centre in Sydney.