Azadi Stadium

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
wasp1
Bronze

Azadi size

Post by wasp1 »

It has had several upgrades each time.
I believe the original size was around the 120,000 +.
Australia played football there in 1973 in front of 120,000, lost 0-2 and again in 1997 or 98 again in front of 120,000 to draw with Iran.
Many match reports I have seen from the 1980's indicate 120,000 as being the normal capacity.
The official web site indicates the size is currently 100,000, however a lot of other sources state 90,000.

So I would say somewhere between the last two would be a good guess.

Sathc
Bronze

Re: Azadi Stadium

Post by Sathc »

I went out here a week or so ago, risked arrest sneaking in (after security knocked me back) and taking photos. Will post pics when I am back in Australia. Entire second tier is terraced, but still 100,000 seemed to be streaching the capacity a bit. Iran = awesome destination, just don't be caught taking photos of the former US embassy in Tehan. It took alot of charm, an Australian pssport and a mention of Melbourne 1997 to aviod a night of Sepah militia hospitality!

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Sathc wrote:I went out here a week or so ago, risked arrest sneaking in (after security knocked me back) and taking photos. Will post pics when I am back in Australia. Entire second tier is terraced, but still 100,000 seemed to be streaching the capacity a bit. Iran = awesome destination, just don't be caught taking photos of the former US embassy in Tehan. It took alot of charm, an Australian pssport and a mention of Melbourne 1997 to aviod a night of Sepah militia hospitality!
:lol:

Some good has come of Melbourne 1997...

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Sathc wrote:I went out here a week or so ago, risked arrest sneaking in (after security knocked me back) and taking photos. Will post pics when I am back in Australia. Entire second tier is terraced, but still 100,000 seemed to be streaching the capacity a bit. Iran = awesome destination, just don't be caught taking photos of the former US embassy in Tehan. It took alot of charm, an Australian pssport and a mention of Melbourne 1997 to aviod a night of Sepah militia hospitality!
Last Islamic nation I visited I was too sh*t scared to walk within 50m of a mosque because I was wearing shorts, and you're like f**k this I'm trespassing and photographing embassies :lol:

kame_22
Bronze

Post by kame_22 »

some courage

Sathc
Bronze

Post by Sathc »

yob wrote:
Last Islamic nation I visited I was too sh*t scared to walk within 50m of a mosque because I was wearing shorts, and you're like f**k this I'm trespassing and photographing embassies :lol:
But the "death to America" murals and the hacked out embassy insignia were so photogenic! The guy I travelled with deliberately got tied up in the middle pro vs. anti government protests. He rates running sh*t scared as roit police started firing on the crowd as one of the best experiences of his life. Now that is what you call courage!

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Sathc wrote:
But the "death to America" murals and the hacked out embassy insignia were so photogenic! The guy I travelled with deliberately got tied up in the middle pro vs. anti government protests. He rates running sh*t scared as roit police started firing on the crowd as one of the best experiences of his life. Now that is what you call courage!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I really am not surprised that he did that...

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Sounds better than the Running of the Bulls. If Iran's political unrest carries on long enough they'll be able to sell package tours to Tehran for the riots. I'm sure the Fanatics will get in on the action.