Football Park,Adelaide -original proposal

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Dan
Silver

Football Park,Adelaide -original proposal

Post by Dan »

Anyone got the original design of Football Park,Adelaide?...Years ago..I remember seeing what Football Park shouldve looked like with two tiered seating right across the ground.Muc like the original Waverley proposal...I think capacity was to be around 80,000.

If this helps,I remember seeing it in some VFL History book and the proposal wouldve been dated probably in the mid 1970s.

Id love to see that proposal again and up on this website!!!

Anyone help on this??
Last edited by Dan on Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Unfortunately, I live a few blocks from the stadium and basically live there during the football season - but I dond't know anything more than the fact that the planned capacity was indeed 80,000, and that the original members stand was the first of the 3 stages of development for the second tier. Would have been a beauty if it was finished :(

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Are the facilities, as bad as they look apart from the new stand they havent spent much other money for bucket seats or upgrading any other part of the ground. Football Park now has the same capacity as Telstra Stadium of 54,000. Yet they have only reached 50,000 once i vaguely remember. That game was a sell out but 4,000 odd fans didnt show up or that part of the stadium wasnt sold, or it doesnt hold 54,000 people. Im going to Subiaco Oval for the Derby between Eagles and Dockers, although smaller they have superior facilities compared to Football Park aka AAMI Stadium

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Egan: The capacity is indeed 54,000 people, but it is true that it is never filled truly to capcity (although it sells out often). The reason for this is the SANFL members section, particularly the category 1 members, who have a seat for all AFL games at the stadium, but thousands do not show up each week. The reason for this is that some people (like us, previously :) ) bought the sanfl membership so we had guaranteed entry to both showdowns and blockbuster port games, although we pretty much hate port and didn't bother showing up very often to their games. The same goes for the opposite, alot of port fans don't show up to crows games. The sanfl have tried to get around this by a) selling tickets through ticket outlets for entrance to the sanfl members area for all games except both showdowns and b) run ads asking members to give their tickets to friends if they can't/won't go to a particular game. It hasn't worked so far. people just buy tickets here and don't bother showing up, very often. In fact, against saint kilda last year, something like 15-20,000 paid tickets were wasted.... they didn't show up! But hey, it was a pretty cold night :) A friend of mine bought 4 tickets and I ended up at the game all by myself!

Just on bucket seats, when the original AAMI sponsorship was announced, some of the proceeds were said to be going towards bucket seats in the entire stadium. This STILL hasn't happened though, and i've been checking out my car window whenever I drive past it on the way to work... dunno what is up with that.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

Members piss me right off....

Telstra Stadium have the best system.All the major games,the Stadium Australia members have to pre-book.If they dont,come game day,they will not get admission.If they dont turn up and did not inform beforehand,they will be screwed badly on their next visit with their seating position.This system was actually voted in by the members themselves.

This ensures that a sell-out actually means a sell out.

Warney
Bronze

Post by Warney »

I am from Adelaide originally although I now live in Melbourne and I am indeed a Port Adelaide Power supporter.

Yob what you said above about the members is true. But for Port games at least, even the outer and behind the goals never seems to sell out for the majority of Port games. Showdowns and the odd blockbuster against a Carlton or an essendon aside, Port's games are never filled to capacity, which is very disappointing.

The seating at football park does need upgrading if it wants to class itself as a modern stadium. During showdown games when the stadium is usually at capacity, you have 6 or 7 people taking up roughly 10 designated spaces...thats 2-3 seats going to waste for every 10 seats.

But anyhow, good to see they finally got a decent electronic scoreboard. Too bad they installed after I moved to Melbourne.

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

this seems quite weird to me. so the members buy tickets they dont even want? and dont show up to the games?! :? that is just stupid!

i got to practically ever west coast game here and the capacity is constantly in the 36,000-38,000 mark (considering that Subi "sold out" last year with about 41,000 at the derby). does this mean the WCE/Subi members are more faithful to their team and show up to every game or is the system somehow different over in SA? i still cant believe that 15-20,000 ppl didn't go to a game! sh*t thats so slak! and the cold excuse is a load of sh*t. the WCE vs Port game in round 21 2002 got abt 36,000 ppl and it was raining and thundering and just plain miserable!

mike

ps. anyone kno (egan or perth ppl) how many ppl r predicted for the wizard cup game this friday with West Coast vs the wankers?

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

perthsmike wrote:this seems quite weird to me. so the members buy tickets they dont even want? and dont show up to the games?! :? that is just stupid!

i got to practically ever west coast game here and the capacity is constantly in the 36,000-38,000 mark (considering that Subi "sold out" last year with about 41,000 at the derby). does this mean the WCE/Subi members are more faithful to their team and show up to every game or is the system somehow different over in SA? i still cant believe that 15-20,000 ppl didn't go to a game! sh*t thats so slak! and the cold excuse is a load of sh*t. the WCE vs Port game in round 21 2002 got abt 36,000 ppl and it was raining and thundering and just plain miserable!

mike

ps. anyone kno (egan or perth ppl) how many ppl r predicted for the wizard cup game this friday with West Coast vs the wankers?
These are not members of the clubs, the sanfl members are members of football park. Your paid membership gets you a seat at 22 AFL games in a year. A few thousand don't go to every game of the year - it's not that big a deal.

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

yeh i kno the whole sanfl member thing. but still u sed 15-20,000 at one game. thats a big deal.

does subi hav the type of membership thing such as the mcg etc where you become members of "Subi" and go to a variety of things therE?

mike

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

In regards to the Eagles vs Dockers game I went there last night and it was a great atmosphere nearly 33,000 people crammed in and they even had to open the third tier to accomadate the unexpected influx of people, caterers were run off there feet and it just shows you how much Perth people like a western derby. Onto Darwin and i think the conditions last night will favour the eagles no matter who they play. Although conditions in Darwin will be a whole lot worse, it was great preperation for next week.

Football Par crowd should be around the same amount. The crowd was double what turned up to pre season matches at subi last year.