Wyndham/Tarneit Stadium - Will it happen?

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
joel
Bronze

Wyndham/Tarneit Stadium - Will it happen?

Post by joel »

Western United Football Club was admitted into the A-League purely because with their introduction, would come a brand-new purpose-built 15,000-seat stadium in the west of Melbourne. Some two years later, construction is yet to commence and to be honest, doesn't look like commencing in the current climate.

I have my doubts about the project - what do others think?

More info about 'Wyndham City Stadium' here: https://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=499

cam
Gold

Re: Wyndham/Tarneit Stadium - Will it happen?

Post by cam »

I think this project is relying on the sale of commercial and residential around the proposed stadium - only if that sells will the stadium proceed. With the current economic situation, not to mention the dire state of the A-League and poor crowds attracted by Western United in their first season, you need to be realistic and say this looks doubtful. But, I really hope I'm wrong and it proceeds, and the A-League bounces back and starts attracting big crowds like it did a decade ago.

Samuel68
Bronze

Post by Samuel68 »

They did say a few months ago that construction was to start in Winter, but I haven't heard anything about it since then. Does anyone have any info on it? Hopefully it gets started soon so Western United have a proper home where they will be able to develop a stable fan base and get good attendances. It would be great for the A-League and soccer in Australia.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

I saw an article that Western United are considering the following home grounds for the 2020/21 A-League season:

- Knights Stadium
- Whitten Oval
- Avalon Airport Oval (Werribee VFL Ground)
- Melbourne Showgrounds

And they'll also continue to play some games at Mars Stadium in Ballarat and continue at GMHBA Stadium in Geelong, but likely reduce to just a couple of games.

Obviously they played one game at Whitten Oval, but the interesting one for me is Melbourne Showgrounds. The playing surface is square and doesn't fit a soccer pitch so it would need significant work. It has seating for 4,300 but no corporate facilities. The current main arena opened in 2006, replacing the old main arena and in 2010 it was home to the Melbourne Aces baseball club, but they moved to the Melbourne Ballpark after a couple of seasons. View info about the venue and take a look at the satellite image for an aerial shot: https://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=344