Sydney Football Stadium rebuild

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
joel
Bronze

Sydney Football Stadium rebuild

Post by joel »

Well, it looks like construction of the new Sydney Football Stadium is finally underway. The two-year build seems optimistic however!

Construction of the new Sydney Football Stadium is finally underway at Moore Park, months after the old stadium was demolished.

The expected opening date of mid-2022 for the new stadium is believed to be still on track at this stage, meaning it would host the NRL Grand Final that year.

Work was expected to commence by the end of March and bulldozes and workers have been seen on site as construction of the new 45,000-seat stadium gets underway.
Full story: https://www.austadiums.com/news/news.php?id=766

More photos of the proposed 45,000-seat stadium (or is it 40,000?):

More info about the new stadium: https://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=495

Seems a very expensive build. No LED curtain to hide the top level as originally promised. Still, will be a world-class stadium and should be the best rectangular stadium in Australia.

cam
Gold

Re: Sydney Football Stadium rebuild

Post by cam »

The process hasn't been great by the NSW Government but thankfully construction is finally underway. It's the stadium Sydney really needs. In regards to capacity there have been mixed reports between 40k & 45k. Personally, I don't see the need for 45,000 seats given the crowds the tenant clubs attract (15k) so stick to 40k. Larger events can go to the redeveloped ANZ Stadium... when it eventually happens. I'll be hugely surprised if this project is finished in two years.

Samuel68
Bronze

Post by Samuel68 »

Once this is completed I can see the 3 tenants attracting reasonable crowds (especially Sydney FC). A 25k home average would probably be the goal for Sydney FC, same with the Roosters. The Waratahs would would be hoping to get some decent crowds as well. Can't wait to see a packed out SFS when its Sydney FC v WS Wanderers there, also the NRL GF.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Agree the stadium should result in larger home attendances for the tenant clubs. The facilities at the old Allianz Stadium were poor, so an improved experience for fans at a world-class facility can only be a good thing, as well as the improved transport with the lightrail service to Moore Park. However it's worrying times for the A-League and Super Rugby so hopefully they can both sort their sh*t out to get back to the glory days and once again attract big crowds.

Samuel68
Bronze

Post by Samuel68 »

I'm very confident that Sydney FC will survive this coronavirus pandemic. They are a fairly wealthy club and would've saved heaps of money playing out at Leichhardt and Kogarah the past two seasons. Hard to see clubs such as Newcastle Jets and Central Coast Mariners getting back to their feet though. I'm not confident the Waratahs are going to make it either.