Reusable Plastic Cups

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Bottoms Up Australia
Bronze

Reusable Plastic Cups

Post by Bottoms Up Australia »

Just throwing it out to the public domain as we are making a push to reduce the amount of "one use" plastic cups. Here at Bottoms Up Australia we listen to our clients and strive to improve.

One of the issues are the Bottoms Up Cups, magnificent quality but because of that more expensive for a one use cup. Be it the price includes the magnet in the bottom that can advertise anything.

Using Multiple use cups in Stadiums of course come with their own issues, one of those is educating the users of the cups they are not throw aways.

What I would like to ask, and would appreciate honest responses "good or bad" the following question.

Would you support reusable plastic cups in Stadiums, even if it meant a small refundable deposit for your first purchase?

Thank you in advance, and heres to the environment!
Last edited by Bottoms Up Australia on Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan
Silver

Re: Reusable Plastic Cups

Post by Dan »

Who's going to start a beer snake with reusable cups?

Bottoms Up Australia
Bronze

Can still happen Dan, but whoever ends up with it will get one hell of a refund!

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

I can see this working - there's obviously an increased focus on the environment these days, and while many people don't care, there are many people who do. How did the trial go with these at Spotless Stadium? Some feedback I heard from the GWS Giants v Essendon game was the beer queues were very long as bar staff were pouring cans into these reusable cups - not sure where the issues lies with that. I'm sure if they had tap beer to pour in then it would result in a faster service.

Bottoms Up Australia
Bronze

Hi Cam,

Yes would be interested in how it went at Spotless. Without being part of it I could only assume cans may have been used because cups and glasses cannot be reused with tap beer with out being cleaned. This is a health standard in Australia. Our plan is small deposit on first cup, hand cup back and get next one normal price and so on, end of day refund if the person wishes. If not I'm certain plenty of people will collect cups for a refund. The goal is for the cups not to be thrown into the bin. Cheers Neil

malleekid
Bronze

Post by malleekid »

It works without a problem at venues I encountered throughout Europe (The Oval, Stade Gimbert Brutus, Trailfinders, etc.)

Obviously just a transition period to educate but i tell you what the kids love it and there is a lot less rubbish for the cleaners at the end of the end. The towers the kids build are an engineering feat in themselves.

I think it's inevitable and for the better!

Chuq
Bronze

Post by Chuq »

They used Globelet cups at the recent Big Bash games at Bellerive Oval. Not sure if it is something managed per stadium or league-wide.
https://globelet.com/impact

The cups could either be kept, returned to the bar for a $1 refund, or put into a "cup donation bin" where the $1 per cup would be donated to the Hurricanes Foundation (charity or something similar).