The Old Sydney Showground

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Dan
Silver

The Old Sydney Showground

Post by Dan »

Some old pics from the now demolished Sydney Showground(now Fox Studios)

I loved this old Members stand!

marcus
Bronze

Post by marcus »

Last edited by marcus on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

tailz
Bronze

Post by tailz »

is that a chair lift going through the stands? nice looking old ground though. i don't think the swans ever played there but exhibition games may have been held there.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

You guys are so good for bringing up old grounds of Sydney this week. FANTASTIC!!!

The chair lift went over the Martin & Angus stand (2nd pic from the bottom). Not much of a stand. More a bunch of concrete steps. But the view was nice because the stand was steep. The chair lift was there when the Showground was in operation. The grounds were built on a fair slope running up from the South West to the North East. During the Easter Show you get tired walking around so you'd use the chairlift.

The members stand and the stand underneath have been retained but they've created buildings out of them (like what they want to do with Waverley). The bottom stand has been demolished. Great pics.

I don't remember if the Swans ever played there. I doubt they did. But everything else has been played there. Rugby League, Baseball, Speedway, an ABBA concert, and of course World Series Cricket.